Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GOOD sequels!

• 09-04-2002 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

There aint many...

but 'Rush Hour 2'...so good! It's much beta than the first one, I laughed my ass off.

Can ya think of anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Good sequels are so rare

My favourite sequels include :

Aliens
    The Silence Of The Lambs
    Godfather II

And of course, T2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Aliens,
    Star Wars: The Empire Strike Back,
    and of course, Evil Dead II.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

The george romero zombie trilogy is a prime example...

Night of the living dead - good
    Dawn of the dead - even better
    Day of the Dead - fantastic!

lampsie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Had to look up a list of films to refresh my memory, but I thought these were good...

Terminator 2
    Aliens
    Evil Dead 2 and 3
    The Godfather sequels
    Beverly Hills Cop 2 was okay
    Hannibal
    Mad Max 2
    Predator 2
    The Spy Who Shagged Me
    Lethal Weapon 2
    Back to the future 2 was alright
    Die Hard 2
    Rocky sequels
    Indiana Jones and the temple of doom
    The Omen sequels
    Superman 2

Oh yeah forgot about Superman 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

Mine are:

T2
    Aliens
    Predator 2 (its only a bit better than the first one)
    The spy who shagged me
    Licence to kill (007)

thats about all i can think of ATM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 deejay

The 'Back to the Future' movies are cool, they aint like normal sequels coz they start off where the last one finished, it's more like one big 5 hour film!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Originally posted by Terminator
    Good sequels are so rare

My favourite sequels include :

Aliens
    The Silence Of The Lambs
    Godfather II

And of course, T2

The Silence Of The Lambs is a sequel?....to what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Silence was a sequel to another Hanibal Film.. can't remember name for the life of me [Edit]Actually have a feeling it was something like Manhunter or some such...[/edit] and My throw in would be to add Blade 2 to the pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by lampsie

Yay lampsie! Cannot agree more, finally a fellow Romero-a-holic. I even mailed Tom Savini a while back, glad i got a reply too, he's weird.

Mine:

Godfather II, T2, Aliens (oh yeah baby!), Evil Dead 2, Hellraiser 2 (sad... I know).
    Not good? Dusk till Dawn 2. God that was awful. Ring 2. Poor follow-up to a wonderful first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Mistakill
    Licence to kill (007)

Bond movies aren't really sequels either are they? I mean yeah he's supposed to be the same bloke, but are they really considered sequels, rather than a series? :confused:

Originally posted by alb

An earlier Lecter film, I think it was called Manhunter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by alb

Manhunter:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0091474

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Woah.. fast replies here I see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 deejay

'Manhunter'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭colinsky

Faraway, So Close.

Sequel to Wings of Desire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Aliens
    Hellraiser II
    Blade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Manhunter was based on Red Dragon right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Flimbo

no, they run the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas, and they save £200 a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

Originally posted by Dr. Loon

Bond movies aren't really sequels either are they? I mean yeah he's supposed to be the same bloke, but are they really considered sequels, rather than a series? :confused:

In my book they're sequels because they follow each other in succession.

Open a new thread and see what other people say about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

oh come on... how can you possibly say that Predator 2 was better than the first one?... sheesh... :rolleyes:

My addition to the list would be Desperado - the sequel to "El Mariachi"... which was quite a bit better than it's predecessor (although El Mariachi was a very good movie in its own respect).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

predator 2? i thought this was meant to be good sequels? predator was excellent, but my god the second one stank lots.

[edit: good timing there Bard!]

most of the decent ones have already been mentioned, t2/aliens/indianajones.. dont know if back to the future 2 was tho..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

lampsie.

Leaving aside the fact that Day of the Dead was a saccharine piece of sentamentalist tripe ("Bub the lovable, talking zombie"? Kiss my pis%#73), I suggest you look up the word "sequel" in the dictionary - the "dead" movies are not sequels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

>Leaving aside the fact that Day of the Dead was a saccharine >piece of sentamentalist tripe ("Bub the lovable, talking zombie"? >Kiss my pis%#73), I suggest you look up the word "sequel" in >the dictionary - the "dead" movies are not sequels.

From dictionary.com:

se·quel Pronunciation Key (skwl)
    n.
    Something that follows; a continuation.
    A literary, dramatic, or cinematic work whose narrative continues that of a preexisting work.

The dead trilogy follow the collapse of civilisation, each movie showing conditions as they get worse:

Night: Dead begin coming back to life, no-one knows whats going on

Dawn: People are no longer allowed to remain in their homes, the situation has become desperate, but the humans still seem to be in with a fighting chance

Day: Dead have completely taken over, 'living' seem to be all but extint.

That stikes me as "Something that follows; a continuation"

As for Day being crappy, it is fairly slow paced with a lot of dialogue, but personally I thought it was really well written (tho he acting was /very/ suspect at times!) ...guess it doesn't appeal to everyone.

Not trying to be bitchy or anything, just don't like Romero's flicks getting rubbished :)

- lampsie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Something that follows; a continuation.
    A literary, dramatic, or cinematic work whose narrative continues that of a preexisting work.

The dead trilogy follow the collapse of civilisation, each movie showing conditions as they get worse:
    Certainly, but this is not a "continuation", or a "work whose narrative continues that of a preexisting work" - they're merely three films that have a common theme (people coming back from the dead, hungry for human flesh). As such, they cannot be called "sequels".

If we were to follow your definition, I can think of countless films that one could throw into that list, to increase the amount of "sequels".
    Night: Dead begin coming back to life, no-one knows whats going on
    Or, even simpler:

Night: Dead begin coming back to life, no-one knows whats going on... Duane Jones/Tony Todd kick some ass.

Dawn: Dead begin coming back to life, no-one knows whats going on... Ken Foree kicks some ass.

Day: Dead begin coming back to life, no-one knows whats going on... Noone kicks ass. Zombies are suddenly "lovable".

I'll say it once again, in case I didn't make myself clear enough the first time I said it - the only continuation through these films is a continuation of theme.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Hmmm....
    Aliens [horror/sci-fi classic]
    Predator 2 [sci-fi classic]
    Any of the friday the 13th movie sequels:D [Horror classic's]
    Mad Max2 [sci-fi Classic]
    Rocky 4 [ERrrr...got lot's of punching ]
    looking at my list i think i should prehaps widen my horizons and look into other genre..

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Im ust ay i am very happy.....

Aliens is probably the most commonly mentioned film here and as it is my fav film of all time (let alone fave sequel) I must celebrate

*does a happy dance*

Other sequals uhmm i actually dont know..Well I could say T2 is a good sequel but not better...Then theres all the trilogy's...Like Indiana Jones and Star wars.

I know the 4th Star trek film....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I can't believe how many people have mentioned Predator 2 as a good sequel. I mean, have you actually sat down and watched it ? It has absolutely none of the atmosphere or originality of the first one.

I think Predator 1 is a great action flick. One of Arnie's best movie's he did in the 80's (along with T1). Predator 2 doesn't even come close, it's just a cash in.

Advertisement