Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEWS ON LLU!

• 30-04-2001 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

Here is sommit I saw on the ODTR Web Site. Just out today! There is hope gentlemen....

MEDIA RELEASE
    For Immediate Release
    April 30th 2001
    Telecoms Regulator sets prices for Local Loop Unbundling.

Etain Doyle, Telecoms Regulator today (Monday 30th April 2001) cleared the way for implementation of local loop unbundling. In a Decision Notice today the regulator set prices for access and directed changes to eircom's Reference Access Offer. Monthly line rental is fixed at €13.53, or £10.66.

According to the Regulator " while there has been an LLU reference offer available from Eircom since the due date of 31 December 2000, this was incomplete and non compliant in several respects. In order to ensure that consumers are in a position to derive the benefits that Local Loop Unbundling can bring I have decided to intervene and set prices."

Local Loop unbundling has to potential to increase significantly the range of competitive services available to businesses and consumers. It requires the network owner to provide access to the copper pair connecting an individual telephone subscriber to the nearest point of interconnection with the main telephone network at the local exchange. This allows new entrants to offer a full range of broadband services directly to the customer.

The regulator continued "As eircom has failed to supply all the relevant information, I have set interim prices based on the information available to me. Despite repeated requests and the clear direction that the 30th April was the final date for the determination, there are still very substantial gaps in the material provided to me by eircom. Eircom's approach with respect to costing and the level of response and co-operation this issue is not acceptable."
    These charges set are based on data from eircom, benchmarking and other reviews and analyses by the ODTR of efficient operator costs. They are within the range of pricing in other EU countries. The line rental at €13.53 is within the EU range from €8.23 to €19.51, and connection at €119.73 compared with €47 to €221.69.

The setting of these prices does not relieve eircom of its responsibility to address the deficiencies in its pricing proposals and to make a comprehensive re-submission to the ODTR on all matters.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Woohoo!

I laugh at esat if they come crawling back to me looking for business. They can shove it up their a$$ for all I care. Now that it may be possible to get flat rate net access from different ISPs, yum yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

break open the ****ing beers yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭androphobic

could someone translate this into simpler terms for a simple mind pls? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Something else that is classic about this is the fact that the access rate is so low, which means Esat and others will be able to offer very attractive monthly rates.

i find this ironic, esat today just alienated 60% of their costumer base with this letter then sent out on thursday, they probably found out about the llu on friday/saturday. haaaaaaaaa they have realy ****ed themselfs up, i wont be staying with esat any long, haaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaa haaaa, im an abuser, you guys with kiss my ass to get £20 off me from now on, *****s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Joe22, they have known for weeks that the ODTR would announce that price today (last day of April) - ODTR gave Eircom till today to set an agreeable price, or they would set it themselves, which they have just done. smile.gif

Androphobic - this basically means that Esat etc will very soon be offering reasonably priced DSL, as thats one of the final hurdles to be jumped before they can get their ADSL service running. Basically, good times ahead :}

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

Moriarty it thats the case, then i just have to say esats very very stupid, doing what they have will coast them in the long run, unless they were just trying to kick us all off anyway so we will have to get dsl,

Well, there is one more hurdle. Correct ne if i'm wrong, but doesn't the infrastructure still have to be upgraded to allow usage of ADSL? That means it will still take ages for whoever to get to your area and dig up your road etc, etc. Another year at least frown.gif

Lex_Diamonds no mate, the nfrastructure been there for ages, just legal crap like llu holding it up, if llu works out i can see dsl pretty soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

No afaik lex is right, even tho the llu has gone through, the exchanges themselves have to be upgraded to support DSL.

Still tho, we're THAT much closer biggrin.gif

TAKE IT EIRCON YOU BUNCH OF h0es

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

hmm hmmm this iss indeed very good news particularly in relation to the rolling out of dsl which was expected to be very dear sense eircom wwere over charging. Hopefully esat will speed out rollout to my area which I know has been selected for rollout because of the local technology park.

WWoohoo for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

yea upgrading the exchanges shouldn't be a prob in urban areass mostly coz there done already I think.

I read today that to upgrade all irelands exchanges ... linking em all up with fibre will take 5 yrs..

e-business section in the irish examiner if anyone wanted to know.

yea it will takes years and year to upgrade all the exchanges, but the simple fact is alot of dublins exchanges are allready upgraded, and have been for quiet sometime, still expect problems with bitsream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Its here! Its here! The Revolution is here.

<Dotsie runs off to find some solicitors to shoot in the head>

Dotsie
    www.dotsies.com
    dotsie@dotsies.com

[This message has been edited by Dotsie~tmp (edited 30-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Hurrah! Maybe we'll be spared the horrors of call charges! smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN ETAIN DOYLE YA GOOD THING YA !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

This is very good news if true, and not just ODTR speak. Of course it's still just a start.

Certain Dublin exchanges can expect ADSL very soon with the regional towns following in the years ahead. Rural areas will still be looking at wireless solutions for the forseable future, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

wh00t

plyd Doyle!!!!

I hope we can get a full time flat rate in here

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

But surely most of Dublin's exchanges aren't upgraded. Because if I remember correctly, NTL(the only people to date who have upgraded exchanges) had only upgraded the Tallaght and Templeouge areas! So who is going to pay for the building work?! Looks like the ball is back in Eircom's court, and they don't have a racket!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't like this bit:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    7 Final Steps
    This Decision Notice provides the remaining elements to support the introduction of local loop unbundling in Ireland.

The Director will complete benchmarking work on Service Level Agreements and will issue a determination on SLAs, including compensation for failure to meet lead times if appropriate, by 18th May 2001

It is the Director’s intention to focus the LLU Forum on a small number of tasks that remain to be completed. These items remaining to be finalised, either by agreement or by determination of the Director, are:

· the Technical Manual – to be completed by 11th May
    · the Spectrum Management Plan – to be completed by 18th May
    · Process Manuals – to be completed by 4th May

Following completion of these items, the Director intends to bring the LLU working groups, in their current format, to a close and will establish an LLU Review Forum that meets every quarter, as required
    </font>

The full Decision Notice is here by the way (word doc):

http://www.odtr.ie/docs/odtr0127.doc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

lex i think that ntl have upgraded there cable network and thats nothin to do with telephone exchanges. eircom have upgraded quite a few exchanges in dublin and have been testing dsl for about a year i think.

also i think there is one sure way of known ir ur local exchange has been upgraded. if u can stay connected to the net longer than 16hours 59 mins and 59 secs. this is the normal exchanges max length of a connection. so if u can stay connected longer then theres a chance ur local exchange has been upgraded.

dont quote me on that, but i heard from a good ource about the old exchanges havin the time limit on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

"That bit" is fine, just setting out a deadline for completion of the bits that are outstanding. Let's just hope now that Eircon don't put up a fight or we could see this last 10 months in the courts...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds:
    But surely most of Dublin's exchanges aren't upgraded. Because if I remember correctly, NTL(the only people to date who have upgraded exchanges) had only upgraded the Tallaght and Templeouge areas! So who is going to pay for the building work?! Looks like the ball is back in Eircom's court, and they don't have a racket! </font>
    NTL upgraded bits of their cable in these areas, not telephone exchanges. Only Eircom has telephone exchanges. This has nothing to do with NTL.

Phew! Thats a relief!

Oh please let this arrive soon! My prediction is flat rate dial-up by September and DSL early 2002. Obviously I want all that alot sooner.

Eircom, if you put up a fight on this then there will be beatings.

Lex "hardman" Diamonds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

i believe eircom said they were goin to the courts on this one, have a look at the technology page on ireland.com

At least six exchanges are upgraded for DSL in dublin. Eircom have been running DSL over these exchanges for the past couple of years but only to Eircom staff and friends of staff.

Why haven't they been offering this far superior technology to the public? Because, at £36 per month plus a high per-minute charge, ISDN brings in a much higher return for Eircom. ADSL normally costs about £40 per month in Europe. ISDN in costs about £3.60 per hour for daytime access at 128kbs.
    So you get about an hour of 128kbs with ISDN for the price of 24*7 hours at 512kbs with ADSL.

This recent ODTR announcement is supposed to bring an end to this farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Lex "hardman" Diamonds</font>

Lex you're about as hard as rubber nails. biggrin.gif

But thanks for posting the info. biggrin.gif

Rubber nails are actually quite hard. Depends what grade rubber of course... biggrin.gif

Rubber nails are actually quite hard. Depends what grade rubber of course... biggrin.gif</font>

Exactly. Grade 1 rubber flows like slurry - - not very hard at all - whereas grade 5 rubber is about as hard as chalk or wood (teak). Grade 11 can make scratches on glass. This is very hard indeed.

I need to go to bed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Striaght from an article in the indy:

Unbundling has the potential to boost the range of services available to businesses and consumers. A spokesman for Esat gave a cautious welcome saying the pricing was a step in the right direction, but added that the real benefit to customers will depend on Eircom's ability and speed to make it happen.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ti=41&ca=35&si=425804&issue_id=4407

esat staff: knock knock

eircom exchange staff: hello

esat: <huge grin> hows it goin lads, we are here about the local loop unbundling.

eircom excahnge staff: Hmmmm...Now where did i put those keys?

esat: ...sigh....

Advertisement