Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Recommendations:

• 09-04-2002 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

Gibson Les Paul 1960 Classic Vintage Burst. Gettin a bit clammy with sticky finger prints (the brother denies it but i know it was him) dust and a general dull look. I tried breathing and rubbing it with the jumber. Is the likes of Mr. Sheen or something safe to use or is there a specific cleaning agent?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Theres a little stick of cleaner you can buy called "refret" or something. It has a slightly abrasive edge, and is made specifically for what you want to do. I think it's in most music shops. Nemisis had one, so he'll know the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Don't let any solvents get near the electrics and you'll be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Right Giblet is talking bout fretfast I think.

Em..right..all this Mr Sheen type stuff is silicone based and supposidly it aint that good for guitars..so I heard in the past..Ive used it myself..you want some sort of mild abrasive..I read it somewhere cant seem to find it on google at the mo..i dont recomend any 'wood cleaners'

and for the frets use lemon oil Im sure most music shops like waltons mm instrumental etc will have it...keep in mind there is no lemon in it so dont try to concockt your on brew..use it after you have cleaned em down properly..find out what kinda wood is the fretboard made of etc and if there is any kinda varnish/finish on them..with a guitar like your talking about be careful you dont wanna ruin it

eh not alot of help but there are loads of links about..

nem

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

FastFret is dead good and it can make it seem like you're playing a totally different guitar after giving the strings and fretboard a good cleaning.

As for the body, I just use a plain, lint-free cloth with no cleaning products other than a bit of elbow grease. Trick is to give it a "once over" at least once a week and it'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I used Mr. Sheen on my Les Paul before it was nicked and it was fine, yes though definately no wear near the electrics. Take off the metally bits at the bridge, everything you can take off bar the pickups. Never use abrasives for sure.

Fast fret is great but before you put that on get one of those yellow cloths and get all the muck away from the raw wood of your neck, spit on it, use some kind of watery substance but get that clean perfectly before putting on any nice oily coating. A mate of mine had a Strat and wouldn't mind people playing on it but would watch over them wash their hands before playing it. he he, he was funny, he also had a knack of making clouds disappear but thats another forum

• Advertisement
Advertisement