Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahhhhhhhh!!!

• 10-04-2002 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

right this is my first post, so hi all, i have 6 partitions on my HDD
    i loaded on a partitioning utility, now 2 of the partitions are unreadable, far as I can tell the FAT and or partition table are damaged, does anyone know of a way, or some utility to fix it without loosing data (or at least able to read the data) my main year college project is in there i'm desperate!

I appreciate any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

You cold try some flavour of Partition Magic and see if it can read the data and maybe convert it back to FAT/FAT32

If your running win2k/xp then look in the hard disk management in the admin tools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

first of all its partition magic thats to blame.. its killed countless partitions on me in the past and i reckon about 13gigs of data in total (including projects like yourself)... mostly mp3s though :)

anyway, unless you know the starting sector of the data, your pretty much screwed.. first time it happened to me i tried creating a new partition entry in the mbr using linux fdisk to point to where the data should start, doing this i managed (quite a fluke tbh) to get back about 200mb.. but i never came across a tool that would search the harddisks raw data for a "beginning of partition" entry... thats whats needed, then the partition structure (and therefore data) can be restored pointing to that location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

there is a unix app called "gpart". i remeber phaxx using this when something deleted either partition tables or corrupted his disks mbr. but it got everything back.

i think this is the url in question, but its been 6 months at least if not longer since he had this problem.

http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/

Regards,

Paul aka flamegrill (hehe)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 killer_cain

thanks for the help guys i'll give it a go!

Advertisement