Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No offence to any mods.

• 10-04-2002 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

Heres a simple and open question. Is there any type of simple check on new people becoming mods?

Like, im too old and too damn sarcy to even bother being in the 'uber l33t supa mad moder0t4r group'. Its not about that. Its like, WTF, I see new mods on there who dont even know what the recycle bin is.

If its not possible for new mods to behave correctly, (we've seen alot of that recently), Can people who have become mods at least know how to mod technically. Does anyone check this ?

Heres a senario :-

'here, you wanna become a mod ?'
    >'sure'
    'okay, your in'

or

'here, you wanna become a mod ?'
    >'sure'
    'okay, answer these questions...'
    <insert some questions to at least obtain the level of intellect required to click reply or private message>

I feel, that if some of the mods know how to actually point and click, then they wouldnt get flamed so quickly and people might have some form of respect for what their trying to do.

At the moment, all I see is a trend of new mods who are just getting lashed out of it. Does any of this make sence or is it my senile old brain again ?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

What are you sugessting? Have a written exam to become a mod?

Dev already posted info on how mods should behave here.

But being a mod yourself i'm sure you've already seen it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Behaving is one thing.

Actually wondering, what is and where is, the Recycle bin, thats another thing entirely.

Originally posted by MindPhuck
    Actually wondering, what is and where is, the Recycle bin, thats another thing entirely.

Ok u lost me here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Not a moderator myself, but I have to agree on this one, a few mods (remaining nameless) havent got the technical abilities imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I think he's saying that a user should have been around the block a few times before becoming a moderator.

But can't comment about mod creation myself as I became one under very dubious circumstances. Well it mocked sense at the time anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Originally posted by amp
    Well it mocked sense at the time anyway.

still does :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

I think we should get the mods talking more... plans to follow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Originally posted by MindPhuck
    I feel, that if some of the mods know how to actually point and click, then they wouldnt get flamed so quickly and people might have some form of respect for what their trying to do.
    You know what your doing and i have no respect for you! Its not so much that they dont know what they're doing its more that they act like muppets on every forum bar theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I passed the amptest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

hmmm, Mods talking more? Plans to follow? Will this plan be something along the lines of a lot of alcohol and lubrication for all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I agree, new mods should know how boards works properly before they become a mod. So in other words, a cool newbie shouldn't generally become a mod over someone that's been here alot longer, because they won't have experienced as many characters\boards\past discussions as an older boards member would have! Make sense?

Originally posted by Regi
    I think we should get the mods talking more... plans to follow :D

Will this involve a private board that will allow us to flame each other in privacy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Ill name a name, bombidol yesterday asked for a flame board so he could send all the flames there, not knowing there was already a recycle board, or if he did he didnt understand its purpose, which is a bit boggling alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

looking forward to this

bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Nah I think bombidol is pretty "down with it".

the flameboard was a joke, in all honesty, the cheek od some people! lol

bomb

Ayway I mod the collectors board, not too many flames there, what are they going to fight about which star wars figure is worth the most? Anyway id rather give a warning shot to flamers first before locking a thread, last resort would be recycle bin not the first one, i like to think of myself as a non God-Mod, im not going to start abusing my tiny bit o power

Bomb

Originally posted by Mr.Applepie

You know what your doing and i have no respect for you!

Zzzzzz.. Im gonna loose sleep now.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

MP is right, we need a "where you go to do stuff as a mod" page. I just havent had time to be honest.

We (at least, I!) pick mods from people who have shown a reasonable level of interest in the board in question and who are civil in their dealings with others. We havent always got it right but by and large I think we've picked excellent mods.

The problem is we generally have picked very strong personalities (like, MP, Shinji, Zero, Castor Troy, Amp, Logic etc).
    These people have often only interacted with each other through the boards. They are all pretty smart-mouthed gits :) and wont back down from a flame war (some of them like them).
    So we get the Reaper-Zero syndrome (people who ****in despise each other until they meet and actually like each other. Fade to black, roll credits). Ok, apart from Shinji and MP where my logic breaks down....

The Freemasons thing IS NOTHING to do with mods by the way. We have started a mod mailing list solely to instruct mods in how boards works and the like. Policy will still be discussed here (Admin) and new mods can ask on the mods mailing list if they need advice. We specifically dont want a mod-board because then we'll get people thinking we are deciding things in the backroom, and that there is some huge power thing about being a mod.

MP, yer right, I'll get on it.

DeV.

But isn't the mailing list the same thing as having a mod board?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ssh keeks!! With a mailing list, I can participate while still in work, and keep myself form dying of boredom :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by DeVore

The Freemasons thing IS NOTHING to do with mods by the way. DeV.

That's the attitude I like Dev. Deny all knowledge.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i became a mod becasue i put my hand up in the pub whilst drunk one night.
    i would equate it with press ganging. except theres no ship.
    or sailors.
    or being knocked on the head.
    or bilge pumps.

nice to see devore that you havent listed me in that bunch of unsavoury characters above....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Keeks

No, it's completely different cos, errr, a) the great unwashed don't have it shoved in their faces like the Freemasons board, and b) cos Dan can spam everyone easier on a mailing list than a private board :rolleyes: ...

Anyways I think a board is the way to go.

tbh I don't really care if you stick with the mail list, but Mr. .procmailrc will get a new receipe if the mail list stays at its currently high traffic level...

Cheers,
    Al.

Originally posted by Keeks

Agreed, the mailing list is still behind the scenes, just more bleedin awkward.

amp - pheer meh personality!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

Thanks be to [insert you god/idol here] that the e-mail list is now gone, It was starting to get annoying when everytime I refreshed the inbox I got another 4 or 5 e-mails! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

*mutters at spammy mods*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i did not receive any of these mails. why have i only got 3 stars?? am i not a proper mod??

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Originally posted by amp
    I think he's saying that a user should have been around the block a few times before becoming a moderator.

But can't comment about mod creation myself as I became one under very dubious circumstances. Well it mocked sense at the time anyway.

Pretty much the scenario for myself - yet despite my general boards.ie moany nature I take moderating quite seriously - Fair enough Im not the most overly intelligent bloke here but I do value everyones opinions and input on my respective Board (Now being Co-Moderated by DrAkE which is a rather strange turn of events, but should be fun none the less)

Anyhow, I slightly agree that there has been an immense growth in the ammount of Moderators lately. It's like someone took the time to burst a Boards.ie zit and wayhay - Suddenly there's these chaps running around with "Moderator" chalked on their forehead that no-ones seen around here that often...

Sod it - It's not up to me... Won't say no more.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Regi
    *mutters at spammy mods*

Says you!! The cheek, coming from the spammeister!

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

ahhh oops a daisies. Wrong email address in the profile. Hehe sounds like I was just as well.

Gav

Hmm, I don't have an email address anymore :( I'll be dammed if I put up my work address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Mods should be people that have been around a while. Look at all the main mods. Amp, WWM, MindPhuck, Keeks, Hobbes. These are all people that have been using the net for a long long time and know the boards really well, and do a good job of being a mod. Some of the newer mods signed up one month, became mod the next, and spam all they want cos they think they have "power". Not on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by koneko
    Mods should be people that have been around a while. Look at all the main mods. Amp, WWM, MindPhuck, Keeks, Hobbes.

In what way are they the "main mods"?

.logic.

bit odd alright. Amp and keeks are noobs :p

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I've been round longer than most of these new up-starts....i shoulda been modded years ago;)

I'm not a main mod, I only got mod-ship so they could get me off the quake board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

ha ha ha.... :D

i have never seen so many mods replying to one thread before in one day... so what if some of you have 3,4,5 stars.... the people that use your boards don't give a fu<k how many stars ya got... you are there to keep the peace , do your job, have fun, or do what ever you do...... ok some mods might get a little hotheaded a bit easy but don't we all..... just stop your bitchin...... :rolleyes:

Rabies

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Erm, Hobbes - With that post count of your's you couldn't become any "Main"er as a moderator :D

Originally posted by logic1

In what way are they the "main mods"?

.logic.

Eh, they abuse people more than you do?

You need to get your abuse programme back on track there Norman...
    Originally posted by koneko

Mods should be people that have been around a while. Look at all the main mods. Amp, WWM, MindPhuck, Keeks, Hobbes. These are all people that have been using the net for a long long time and know the boards really well, and do a good job of being a mod. Some of the newer mods signed up one month, became mod the next, and spam all they want cos they think they have "power". Not on.

The muppet has got a valid point, despite the terrible insult.

Al.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Verb
    bit odd alright. Amp and keeks are noobs :p

Gav

How true, no matter how popular I get, I'll never be a Jan 1995'r :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭SHAMAN

I really think becoming a moderator should be deserved and many people don't deserve it. I mean some of the current moderators are really insane(no names mentioned) but there are others on this forum that would use Moderating power for pure evil... Oh that was quite good coming from me! I sound like a goth/Lord of the Rings fanatic/moderater hater.
    I'm none of the above so I must be doing something wrong
    (If you've lost me five minutes ago congratulations your an average person!)

Wasn't aware that Goths walk around bitching about Moderators and the like...

Originally posted by amp

How true, no matter how popular I get, I'll never be a Jan 1995'r :(

Popularity !!! Popularity ! What does that matter. No one likes a popular person !!!!!!!

Gav

Must be a first....amps agrees with something i said and being referred to as a main mod....whatever drugs these ppl are on let me have some :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

is it just me or is the admin board basically turning into a major spam-fest? anyway back to the point..

mods on more "debating" type forums will always have to do more work than those on the more technical ones.. i mean its only about once or twice a month that i have to do anything :)

and on this "deserve a moderatorship" crap.. if they have good knowledge and interest in the relative board and have some idea of maturity (e.g. not the "can i be mod daddy" type) then who cares how many posts they have...

imo when a new board is created leave it without a mod for a while and see who are the regular readers/experts are on the subject... as the cream will always rise to the top (at least i think thats the expression im looking for).. its the only way to do it... then you wont have a mod of a board who has no interest in it apart from being a mod... which is pointless :)

that is all.

Originally posted by Verb

Popularity !!! Popularity ! What does that matter. No one likes a popular person !!!!!!!

Yes that's why I said it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    Erm, Hobbes - With that post count of your's you couldn't become any "Main"er as a moderator :D

Post count has nothing to do with being a mod.

Main mods .... Amp, WWM, MindPhuck, Keeks, Hobbes

Hhaha, im a supa mod! Roffle, that's as funny as when someone told me to go back to the CS boards and I was a newbie!

And hobbes is right, he only became a mod cos nobody wanted him shaking that silver foil axe around in the quake board. (and no hobbes, we'll never stop slagging you about it :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

wow these boards are so like fuedal france, with all the fuedal lords and with lords in other lands trying to sort out with the King and Holy mother Church, how the freakin place should run and taking care of the unruly peasants with an array of knights...and gasp FREEMASONS....secret bretheran meetings...and rival cults...
    public executions, mass banquets in local establishments....each peasant with a face and banner...

I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS FECKIN INTERNET!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement