Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government drafts bold e-Ireland plans

Options
  • 10-04-2002 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

The government has published its second Action Plan on the Information Society, which contains ambitious targets for broadband and e-government rollout.

Announcing the plan called 'New Connections', An Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, TD, said that despite the major stock market "correction" in 2000 and 2001, "We must caution strongly against any sense of complacency." He continued, "A renewed commitment is needed to address the competitiveness challenge of the Information Society in the context of a less favourable global economic environment."

Read on... :

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=7057394

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Yellum,

That is the news that I have been waiting for, but we can not afford to be complacent either so close to an Election.

I will be happier when Eircom announces the introduction of a flat rate internet access service at a fixed monthly fee.

Once again, many thanks for the link to the news , a very welcome and interesting development and statement which I feel sure that Ireland OFFlines existence and efforts have encouraged Mr Bertie Ahern T.D. too make at this time.

As he clearly intends for Fianna Fail to be re-elected.

Yours, paddy20 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Thats good news overall.

Of course politicians want to be re-elected, but i think to be fiar this govt has a pretty good record of achievemtns in the IT sphere, and have deliberately focused a lot of effort into keeping up with, if not ahead of the neighbours in europe.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

they bolloxed up and sold off our telco leaving us up sh!thole, they don't deserve a vote no matter what election hype crap they promise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It might be an idea to read the report before singing it's praises. The press release is here, and there's a link to the report at the bottom. I haven't read it meself, but one person has already mentioned to me that it's rather familiar.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Personaly i beleive that the goverment are very very intrested in looking good to the rest of the world unfortunately i feel the phase "everyone in Ireland"basicaly means busines in Ireland rather than home users the home users are only thrown in for local vote catching rather than anything else.

Stone

Tell me it aint so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Originally posted by Stonemason

Tell me it aint so

Theres a challenge, like proving a religious miracle... And for the atheists. Just as impossible :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm an agnostic meself. Perhaps not everyone's defintion of agno.... whatever... but it's my belief that there IS a government out there that cares about me... there IS a government that wants to see me be BETTER than average...

Am I a dreamer?

I know I'm not.

adam

But i have more belief in the second coming than i do of ireland getting a decent connection at a fair price within a reasonable amount of time.

Stone :D

BTW im not a religious man :D

If eircom starts to release I-stream very very very very slowly how long before the goverment deems it to be to slow and does something itself.
    National Development Plan. Also, the government says it will promote competition between different companies, "to the optimum extent," and will intervene only in areas where the private sector alone will not deliver the necessary infrastructure

Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Originally posted by Stonemason
    If eircom starts to release I-stream very very very very slowly how long before the goverment deems it to be to slow and does something itself.

How long did it take the government to speed up NTL's broadband rollout?

NTL have had people on cable internet in Ireland for a couple of years now and it doesn't look like the progress has been speeded up at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

After my orignial post being deleted!?
    I will repeat what i said!!
    as fact!

anything you read regard plans from government which say...
    by end of.... within the next.... Sooon!

is! and i say is! BS! this is a factual statement and if you wish me to provid links to prove this i will. and Stop! infinging on my right to freedom of speech.

If you all want to play nice to the moderator then goodie for you.
    i said previously that the minister for enterprise also promised flat rate etc.... next week, next year, soon, end of...
    an this was over a 4-5 year period appearing in the media.
    History is history and if you cannot learn from this.
    to be enthused about any statements that try to say commitment in the future and not the present is a political delay tactic not to be trusted.
    all stated above is real life facts not to be confused with BS!
    if you examine this document your all talking about you will see that it simply states what we alread know and commits to nothing. Open your eyes and get real!
    and Moderators!!! STOP PLAYING F GOD!! WITH OUR RIGHTS A.H,s

Advertisement