Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linesplitters, how to indentify the b@sterds

• 01-05-2001 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting 31200bps with both an internal Lucent DSP 'Winmodem' AND an External modem, which has a cirrus logic chipset. This is obviously very sh|t.I live only 1 mile from my exchange and a neighbour of mine who is farther from the exchange then me was getting something like 43333bps easily. My cousin in Cornamóna (the sticks so-to-speak biggrin.gif ) dials into the Castlebar Eircom/Oceanfree ISP and gets a rock steady 46bps.
    My ping is fine, nice and steady (most of the time, Gameshop is fe<ked cos of that T2 server - must get taht game soon) at 200 approx.
    I looked at my telephone pole today and saw, to my surprise, that there was a 'little white box' on it. Its called a 'Supergain 2004E' I think (its hard to read).
    Now, the beef: Is that 'little white box' a line-splitter ie: does it half my bandwidth?
    My household, like most, pay Eircom in the region of £26-£30 every two months for a service.
    Ths is not what I am paying for. I would like to have the full benefit of my money, as xDSl is at least 3 years away for meh here ( as fupping usual ).
    Is there anyway i can get eircom out here, for free mind, as they fu<ked it up in the first place and make them give meh my own line's bandwidth back?
    I have a sneaking suspicion that they only did this in the last 8 months ie: pretty close to the time I got this PC and hence internet access ( of a form if 31200 is access these days mad.gif ) cos a lot of new houses have been built near meh. I live in the country you understand, the air is nicer here. I won't have lung cancer before i'm 35.
    is this another example of Eircom swining the fúck out of the 'little people'?
    I feel it is and that I would be justified in getting them out here to clear up the mess as i sheeled out for meh new modem cos I thought it was the quality of the wiring in my house
    Bugger.

BTW, 'to swine', verb. to cheat out of, to monetarily exploit others whilst advertising newer, overpriced solutions to the problem they themselves are causing for others. -Webster's revised edition for the w3b generation.

John, Moycullen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

it's more than likely a DACS box; this is a piece of equipment which splits the signal from an existing line in half, so providing a cheaper way of having a second line for yourself (or someone nearby, its not unheard of) rather than installing an actual line.

i'm not a telephone engineer so i dont know the full facts, but that's the jist of it.

I think you may be able to get them to remove it if you can prove its interfering with your connection. Eircom don't give any guarentee about phonelines when it comes to data connections, so you may just get fobbed off frown.gif

read more here: http://home.clara.net/sflatt/manualsandlinks.htm

[This message has been edited by Hecate (edited 01-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak:

Ths is not what I am paying for. I would like to have the full benefit of my money, as xDSl is at least 3 years away for meh here ( as fupping usual ).

</font>

I'm sorry to say this but if you're on a DACS box then xDSL is a lot further away than 3 years for you. xDSL cannot be run over a DACS box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">xDSL cannot be run over a DACS box</font>

Not a bog-standard eircom box.
    But DSL DACS switchs are available.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Connecting a Lucent modem at 31.2k is a common problem, try putting ATZ in the modem initializion string, I had one, bit I can't remember, it's 2 year since I had a modem.

I sincerely doubt you have a "line splitter". I thought, as a result of alarmist hyperbole, that I had one, turns out I didn't have my gear set up right. Besides, a 200 ping on a 31.2k connect from the sticks on a game with crappy netcode (CS, UT, Q3), is reasonable.

This is one occasion, where Eircom *cannot* be blamed.

Rob

Rob.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"There are Britney people and non-Britney people." - Britney Spears
    </font>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bbt

Hea Hecate,

cheers for the _really_ useful URL.
    most helpful..
    smile.gif
    bBt

You got to mess with people.
    --Utah Phillips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Today I was talking witha fellah from Eircom, I explained my situation.
    I gave him the model number from the little white box on mypole, a MultiGain 2004E, and he said I might be able to get them to take it off. I'd have to talk toa felah from Clifden first though. I get 31200 with my ext modem too. Do you just type 'ATZ' in the strings box or is there a # or + or - before it?
    Great enws about the ODTR, but is that £10.whatever price VAT inclusive? If its not then thats the same price more-or-less that Eircom charges us anyways, so if Esat want to put their own phone (not ADSL) equipment in they'll have to charge us again. I think.
    Correct me if I'm wrong. Please smile.gif

Advertisement