Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AAHH The good old days

• 28-04-2001 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Hehehe i got that Mame emulator I havent laughed so much since i was single hehehe a trip down memory lane and great fun it was too you oldys wanna try it itll put a twinkle in your weary old eyes hehehe

Stone biggrin.gif

Damn my avatar its taking over im turning into an old fo*** biggrin.gif

Wierd f o g e y is a dirty word or could the be homophobics about G E Y !

[This message has been edited by Stonemason (edited 28-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Stonemason (edited 28-04-2001).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭wintermute

Yes, I too was hit with nostalgia when I discovered it, I was reminded of my mis-spent youth. It prompted me to resurrect my old Atari 8-bit for a game of Star Raiders - anybody remember that?

Life was simpler then - OS on chip and 128K was more RAM than you ever needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

LOL even in days gone by i was never a console jocky I think the first game i played on a home pc was Eric the red (a text based viking game) on a sinclare zx spectrum with tape deck built in hahahaha.

Stone biggrin.gif

I was an arcade junkie not a console person. I've never owned a game console - if that's what you meant. My Atari 8-bit is an 130XE - full micro with keyboard etc. Even have a 5 1/4" disk drive for it. I remember that the drive was really expensive because it was "double sided / double density" - which was special in those days.

First game I played on a home system was Jet-Pack on my Spectrum 48K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Atari made a pc ? either your even older than me or i just missed that one all together hehe.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I miss Jet-Pack.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Advertisement

Yes, Atari made a home computer - in fact several. They had 8, 16 and 32 bit machines. They always had the coolest kit - just very expensive and badly marketed.

Also, when the likes of Sega and Nintendo were launching their 16-bit games systems, Atari launched the Jaguar - a 64-bit games system.

Much of what you took for granted with Atari systems went out the window when you started to use a PC.

Atari TT (about '92) : 32-bit CPU running at 32Mhz, true multitasking, SCSI hard drive, TrueColour graphics, MIDI, 8MB and an operating system on chip. PC emulator an optional extra!

PC equivalent: A 386 with VGA graphics and MS-DOS 5 / Windows 3.0 !

Life was really much simpler in those days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

TrueColour on Ataris wasn't 32-bit truecolor as we now know it on PCs.. was a modified 12bit colour scheme iirc.

About '92 SVGA cards were shipping as standard with the vast majority of PCs... as was 4Mb RAM.
    Unfortunaly I picked up my 386 in '91 with a VGA card and a measly 2Mb RAM smile.gif

Apologies, I think you're right about the TrueColour - it's been so long.

But I still believe that a TT was far superior to the x86 machines of the day.

[This message has been edited by wintermute (edited 29-04-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ahhh, yes, if only we could get a striped down no-frills UNIX64 engine in a flash rom chip......
    and if flshrom was more reliable, and cards carried drivers on their own ROM chips, and we all ahd solid state drives and the moon was made out of jelly......
    And micro waves didn't make your food go all soggy, chips esspecially....

[This message has been edited by [FCA]SyxPak (edited 29-04-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

wintermute, I had an Atari 600xl when I was about 9 - 10 and I remember that game 'Star Raiders' so well. I haden't any instructions for it and didnt really know the keys but I found that if i pressed all the keys together about 20 times i'd get this message "RED ALERT!!!" and it would be time to have fun. What a game!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SickBoy:
    wintermute, I had an Atari 600xl when I was about 9 - 10 </font>

Actually, I completly forgot about that...
    Endless hours of joust (great game...) dig-dug and space invaders...

Then we went all snazzy and got an external
    tape deck for it, actually had a rake of games on tape, they were like 3 quid in peats..
    good auld days eh...

Actually I remember there was some weird thing with the tapes, for some games you
    had to hold down <START> while turning the
    machine on for the game to load off tape,
    others it was <SELECT> and <OPTION>.
    You had to try a few different combinations
    for every game boefre it would load.
    I remember having a copy book with all the
    combinations for the different games....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Nero

Chuckie Egg .... that burst my hymen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Ah i had the atari XE games system, basically an atari 800 xl, with a cartridge deck, full size keyboard, tape deck(ooOOooh) and...wait for it.....a LASER gun!

I could play Bug Hunt and shoot them bugs.....with the gun! Hold down [SELECT] and i got to play the built in missile command!

First game i ever bought was Kickstart, that groovy motorcycle game from peats at a whopping price of £2.50.

The lowpoint was when i asked for a game for my birthday and my mum bought me fuppin pacman wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i remember i used to have an Amstrad 6128+ .. came with the usual BASIC O/S but also came with a disk with C/PM on it.
    Damn C/PM ruled.
    could never get games for the computer though due to it having disks not tapes smile.gif

Advertisement