Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*DARKEST* Movie Themes/Soundtracks?

• 11-04-2002 5:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I thought this might make a good thread, having sprung from an IRC conversation.
    Basically I was trying to find some good film scores to listen to, and trying to get a few suggestions from peeps. And then I kinda got the idea that I was really only after the dark stuff.

So, what are some of the DARKEST film scores you people know of?

Let's here some really good suggestions.

Something creepy, and tingley like the themes from Susperia or The Candyman.

Or the more haunting style ones like Enya's theme for Sleepwalkers.

And of course the big bad EPIC scores like the Omen, and Bram Stoker's Dracula.

The darkly rich and beautiful score of Interview with the Vampire.

Maybe the more comic book darkness of Danny Elfman's Batman theme?

Give in some suggestions and such.
    Anyone else have anything to add?
    Also, give some discussion! Some reasons why they're particularly dark, or why you personaly like them.

Here's a few more to get your teeth into:

Halloween
    The Thing
    Hellraiser
    The Excorcist

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

The Shining!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Requiem for a Dream.

My answer might sound a little odd given that, at times, it can be an incredibly uplifting soundtrack.

However, if you've seen the film, and have some context for the tracks, you'll notice there's an incredibly dark element running through the entire score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

'The company of Wolves' soundtrack is pretty dark. (completely out of topiC, I just love Desperado soudntrack!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Grease 3: the Nightmare Continues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

One of the darkest, most atmospheric scores has to be Bernard Hermann's Taxi Driver score. Not the main, jazzy theme music, but some of the other tracks are very disturbing.
    Also the Se7en score is pretty creepy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Almost a cliché in old horry movies, something evil comes along and the music starts "Rectos dominium"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Halloween>i see youve got thatr one already

Blade runner > vangellis

Gallipoli> jean michael jarre emotions

The crow soundtrack>I think it has a cure track on it (nuff said)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    Requiem for a Dream.

My answer might sound a little odd given that, at times, it can be an incredibly uplifting soundtrack.

However, if you've seen the film, and have some context for the tracks, you'll notice there's an incredibly dark element running through the entire score.

The darkest track is called Meltdown and its towards the very end when it cuts between the main three characters showing how they've ended up. Very disturbing scene and the music makes it so much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Vangelis score for Blade Runner is a classic and is apropriatly
    dark, another one is the the score by Howard Shore for Videodrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I thought the soundtrack to The Crow was all done by Billy Corgan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by D-Generate
    I thought the soundtrack to The Crow was all done by Billy Corgan.

Hell no!

But I think you're thinking of Stigmata, he did actualy do the soundtrack for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Akira when Hotsumo goes mad...the music is creepy when he goes all bloody on the doctors and gaurds....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The soundtrack for Queen of the Damned was pretty good (if you exclude that AWFUL metal CRAP that popped up now and again).

The incidental music was very atmospheric and creepy (synths, strings and choirs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by TmB
    The soundtrack for Queen of the Damned was pretty good (if you exclude that AWFUL metal CRAP that popped up now and again).

The incidental music was very atmospheric and creepy (synths, strings and choirs).

Oh yeah!
    Mr. ****ing Nu-Metal himself Jonathan Davis plopping about and bringing all his nu-metal friends along with him...

There were some occaisionaly good bits of Synth and strings, as you say.
    But for the most part, absolute dire crap.

And the soundtrack was the best ****ing part of the film!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

The Nightmare Before Christmas! The songs all seem to have some twisted, sinister undertones. Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

The soundtrack to pretty much ever David Lynch film. The Master of menace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kylereese

eh but what about the two masterpieces ....brad fiedel's soundtrack to the terminator(spinechillingly good) or james horners soundtrack to the masterpiece "aliens"(1986")?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

the score dj shadow composed for dark days is a classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Howard Shore for Videodrome.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

event horizon

even the sound track will scare the siit out of ya ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Tales of the Future by Vangelis, for BladeRunner. Weird Ahrabic style.

Advertisement