Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resident Evil

• 11-04-2002 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Im halfway through it, slightly dodgey, it seems to be filmed in a bmovie way, it could just be the cut i good but the microphone booms are clearly visible in a good few scenes. hopefully ill get time to watch the second half today

bomb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by bombidol
    Im halfway through it, slightly dodgey, it seems to be filmed in a bmovie way
    You're saying this like it's a bad thing.

You obviously haven't seen many zombie movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

no, like its trying very hard to look like a bmovie to carry itself, some of the effects are really really bad, like the zombie dogs, they just painted a doberman red, thats it... zombie dog.. great, next scene....

bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Originally posted by bombidol
    no, like its trying very hard to look like a bmovie to carry itself, some of the effects are really really bad, like the zombie dogs, they just painted a doberman red, thats it... zombie dog.. great, next scene....

bomb
    Delete those camera recorded mpgs and go watch it in the cinema before making comments about the quality of the makeup and special effects. The dogs looked exactly like the zombie dogs in the game and looks great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

This is a watchable movie! barely.. at least Milia Jovivich is in it,,, thats a redeeming feature i think! But the movie itself is watchable... i would not pay to go see it at the cinema though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Yeah, just watched the movie...its alrightish, but they make a fair few attempts at a cheap scare (you know the kind, build-up music and then a friendly taps em on the shoulder)...and why oh why do they KEEP wandering off individually, you just know something bad is gonna happen :)

I'll reserve judgement till I see it in the cinema, but initial impression is disappointing, did have high hopes for it.

- lampsie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Its just an trick to get computer games people into the film, its not the first time that a game name has been used to help boost ticket sales, Don't expect much.

Later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Sorry for dragging this thread up, but it was a little before its time anyway :p

Just watched the movie there, and I have to say I thought it was a great movie, very atmospheric, and the zombies with the half-heads just like in the game :)

The start of the movie your lost, dont have a clue whats going on, as you go through the characters add a little more to the outline, and the story just builds and builds (okay not that much, it is based on a video game after all, not much story to tell [before shinji attacks me, not all videogames are shallow]). And while the story is building, the scary atmosphere is getting built up too, now its no Blair Witch(BW) project (no matter what you say, a lot of people thought that was proper scary) in that
    BW didnt have any baddies, not even at the end but that film kept leading you on with the story being built up the sounds in the wood and the friends going missing
    , in this movie the baddies are a little more shallow and "tactile" way more visible which is not really a bad thing, but its harder to have a constant atmosphere that way.

I was pretty exhausted when I started watching this movie, and it still had enough action, tension and story to keep me glued right to the end, in fact it reminded of the classic zombie movie (whose name escapes me right now) where there are three or four people trapped inside a shopping mall, that film for me was an absolute classic in horror movies, and this film wouldnt be too far behind.

As for bombidols remark about the dobermans, I dont know if he ever played the game but I found them quite similar to the in-game dogs, and that scene is actually one of the best (I thought it was funny, thats why I say that).

Still awake? Congratulations...

Baz_

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Undoubtably the best movie based on a video game I've ever seen*
    Genuinely quite entertaining, as long as you're not looking for something too deep. Mmm, Milla Jovovich... They probably should have left out the Licker though IMO - it looked cack (but I suppose we wouldn't have the guarantee we now have of a sequel without it :/ )

*Note: I fully realize this isn't saying much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by Baz_
    in fact it reminded of the classic zombie movie (whose name escapes me right now) where there are three or four people trapped inside a shopping mall, that film for me was an absolute classic in horror movies, and this film wouldnt be too far behind.

Dawn of the Dead. Absolute classic, without a doubt. George A. Romero is the man when it comes to zombie films. This is why the following puzzles me.

Romero wrote a screenplay for the Res Evil film, but the products/director decided to go with the current one. Why? If George A. ****ing Romero offers you a script you say of course i'll shoot it for ya thank you very much sir.

Want to go see the Res Evil film anyway. Loved the games. It sounds like a laff. When is it actually out here?

Doubt it will make the cinema Koneko.. will be a straight to vid/dvd

• Advertisement

Resident Evil? Yer joking right? It did pretty well in the US. There's massive posters (well big anyway) for it at the cinemas. Like those big standy-uppy type ones.

Alongside EP II.

It did? i did not think it would be worth showing at the cinema.. it was only a watchable movie.. and has been said before they all kept wandering off on their own and you knew they were about to be eaten by zombies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

I seen some clips here last the weekend for it so they must plan on releasing it at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Of course they split up. It means they can search the house faster.

Heh, exactly like the game then, yeah Saruman?
    Sounds fairly dodgy, but it'll be fun.

Want to see Eight Legged Freaks for the same reason. **** but fun to watch.

You know i never played resident evil games... maybe if i had my oppinion would be different.. though im sure if i loved the games and then saw this movie i would hate it lol

I supose it was fun in a way but i would never have paid to see it! Not even as a dvd rental!

Originally posted by koneko
    Romero wrote a screenplay for the Res Evil film, but the products/director decided to go with the current one. Why? If George A. ****ing Romero offers you a script you say of course i'll shoot it for ya thank you very much sir
    I guess it was their license, and ultimately, it's up to them what they want to do with it. If they don't like what a certain director is doing to their baby, and the director is inflexible - they'll just get another director.

Anyway, for the interested, I've put a copy of one of George Romero's screenplays for Resident Evil up on fuckcuntandbollocks

Duh. Duplicate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It was wierd that
    rain kept on getting bit every ten seconds and she lasted till the end of the movie until she died

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

and the moral of the story here folks is never watch screeners you got off kazaa. Just not worth it :/

• Advertisement
Advertisement