Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.rar???

• 23-04-2001 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

just discovered these files. they appear to be just like zip files. neone know anything about them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

Yes - .rar files are just like zip files. There's a shareware program called WINRAR that will decompress them for you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I find that winrar file's are more compressed than zipped, the program it's self is much better to us (in my opnion), the interface is much more... harder than zip, but you'll get used to it quite quick smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I dont like it tbh.
    Its too hard smile.gif

Generally I only zip stuff to dcc/email to people, so its pointless using winrar since most ppl dont use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

.rar is good for spanning several discs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

well it obviously isnt that popular, seeing as it is the first time i have ever come across it on the net, after having the net for several years now.

but i'll admit it is good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

it is quite popular on kinda homemade/dodgy sites
    I am comming accross it more often now
    I find it's used when I am dl a couple of file's that would then maek one big one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

winace is the best archiver imho Neil. Way nicer than rar or winzip. Handled any file I've ever ran through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

.rar is in fact very popular with warez d00ds who generally compress iso's and 'rips' with it. Ace I believe is used by these same warez types as it is easy to write simple installers using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neil3030:
    well it obviously isnt that popular, seeing as it is the first time i have ever come across it on the net, after having the net for several years now.

</font>

LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i think its very popular i use it the hole time all m m8's in collage use it over winzip all my files on my web site are rar'ed and most files i dl are also rar'ed

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

rar archives have the best compression ive come across, they usually also take the longest to compress (on maximum settings)

ace files are somtimes the same compression as rar, but sometimes as bad as zip, overall i think rar is the best

although if youre putting something on the net, youre best off using zip because everyone knows about zip files etc.

by the way, that small version of quake i did is a rar archive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by elexes:
    i think its very popular i use it the hole time all m m8's in collage use it over winzip all my files on my web site are rar'ed and most files i dl are also rar'ed

</font>

I refuse to listen to anyone who mispells the word colllegde biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I actually heard of .rar's about...oooooh.....5-6 years ago. My cousin had a CD with loads of crakd games on it. They were all in .rar format but I didn't have the net (or PC - just Amiga 600 - rmember them? smile.gif ) so I couldn't use em.

while we're on the subject, can you salvage the data in a file that has been zipped, but when u go to unzip it it tells u that it doesn't have enpigh compression data?
    Its the data.lbm file (i think) form the OPerationnFlashpoint demo. that's right, the big one. 30megs. D/led over 8hours on 28.8, and now this. I used GoZilaa cos Getright was getting uppity over meh not being able to shell out for the registration fee.
    oh and thanks for the link. I'm getting WinAce now as i typoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

*.rar's and *.ace's are far supperior to .zip for a number of reasons. They firstly almost always provide better compression than .zip. They are also recoverable if the file is damaged for some reason, so if your download gets fuxed up, the file can usually be repaired (handy for 15meg files and the like - *cough* wink.gif )

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

15 meg files, you wouldnt be downloading ISO's now would you? tsk tsk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Hhahahaha amiga 600 you were had m8y should have stumped up for the 1200 or stuck with the 500.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

id never do somin like that gunnar smile.gif

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

Ahhhh, stone I dunno, the A600 did everything I wanted ie: play games.
    It came with the origional Geoff Crammond Grand Prix, Putty, and a game about 'Quavers' crisps. Oh and a nice mouse too smile.gif
    My cousins had one too but we never got around to serial linking them. Shame, Lotus2 linked would've rooled.

Still I revived it only this weekend, repaired the floppy after an abortive attempt to figure out how one works a few years ago after the power box (fuse actually as i later found out) blew.
    PC floppys don't work apparently. Too high capacity. Ammmm, Sega Megadrive controllers work correctluy don't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak:

PC floppys don't work apparently. Too high capacity. Ammmm, Sega Megadrive controllers work correctluy don't they?
    </font>

Re: the floppies- as far as I'm aware they were DSDD floppies (double-sided double-density) rather than the high-density floppies which came into standard use on PC's. Therefore their capacity was 740Kb rather than 1.44Mb.

Technically "PC floppies" do work- they just have to be the right variety - i.e.: as you correctly pointed out, - the lower capacity ones.

As for the Megadrive controller working on it, I believe the answer there is "oh yes". It was a standard 9-pin (?) serial connection.

Remember the "Bug" joystick that came out for the Amiga? That thing was dead cool smile.gif

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

heh, yeah, Mega drive controllers work, but hey're not serial (PC wise). But my ones seem to want to complement each otehr.........
    I plug in the pad into game0 (mouse port), sega joystick (quickshot one £6 when I bought it) into game 1. then only the x-axis will work on pad and no fire butons and only y-axis and B fire button on joysk.........

Ps I read on a emulator site that the Amiga floppy format gets 880KB onto a DD floppy.
    They're the same disks physically but totally differnet file systems.
    I have to get my hands on a copy of 'Cross-Dos' for the amiga so i can copy the ROM image to my PC.
    Also teh theme tunes from Lotus2 and Cannon Fodder rule. smile.gif
    PC floppy drives have same connectors but i think the timing chips are differnet, there are a plethora of jmpers on the back of the Amiga floppy, but only a few (some hidden too) on PC floppy.
    Long Live retro in the days where a game won't work until u've downloaded 10 times its origional size in patches....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Ah, the amiga... i have fond memories of my amiga 600 smile.gif Megadrive pads worked just fine on it, except one of the three buttons (i think) didn't work. "ZipStick" joysticks ruled biggrin.gif

Sensible soccer had a knack of making you break any joystick you chose to plug into an amiga smile.gif

Advertisement