Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Companies that insure 20somethings as 2nd named driver?

Options
  • 11-04-2002 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Hey i tried getting this done last year.

Getting insurance under my ma's name on a 2nd car. At the time we rang loads and they were all saying that they wouldn't touch under 25's. Now i'm 20. So is there companies out there that would insure me. Kildare area. Neither of my parents have ever had an accident either. I'm pissed cos i see so many other people getting insurance and paying only a bit. I've asked a load of my friends how they are managing it and they all seem to have schemes going, ie garage insurance, farm, bank, ESB ffs etc' put i'm just not in the postition to get insurance this way. I was askin for a 2nd name driver on a 1.2 litre car. If i bought a cheap 2nd 1 litre would that make a diff.
    So who are the people to go to? i know they are out there. just not in the mood this year to go ringing everyone and hear it all again.

WHo are YOU insured with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

thinking of buying a car and getting their Mothers insured as the main driver and prenending to only be the named driver ont he policy (when we all really know that you drive it all the time)

This is an actual case study from the Insurance Ombudsman Report 2001 - case study 23

http://www.ombudsman-insurance.ie/frames/caller6.html

CASE STUDY TWENTY THREE
    Motor Vehicle Insurance – Purchase and finance of vehicle – Insured not registered owner – Vehicle “written off” in accident – Liability of Insurance Company. Complaint not upheld.
    The Complainant in this dispute took out comprehensive insurance on a motor vehicle, describing herself in the Proposal Form as the owner of the vehicle. Under the terms of the policy the Complainant and, with the Complainant’s consent, the Complainant’s son were covered to drive the car.
    The son was involved in a car crash and the insured vehicle was deemed a write off. The Company repudiated the Complainant’s subsequent claim on the grounds that she had no insurable interest in the damaged vehicle as it had come to light that she was not the registered owner. Her son was in fact the registered owner.
    The law has always regarded possession of an insurable interest as a prerequisite for insurance. If a policyholder cannot prove an insurable interest, he is not in a position to claim compensation in the event of a loss. In this case the mother was the policyholder but the son was the registered owner of the car.
    Regard was had to Budd J’s decision in O’Leary v The National Insurance Company Ltd [1958] Ir. Jur. Rep. 1, a case involving a similar set of facts. The insured’s son crashed the vehicle of which he was the registered owner at the time the proposal form was signed by his father. Budd J. concluded that:
    ”In the first place there never was any valid contract of insurance between [the driver’s father] and the…insurance company”.
    The complaint was not upheld.

in shout you will not be insured if you have an accident. Sorry guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

bruce is right, no matter how much you hate the way the insurance situation is, insuring yourself with false detail is lunacy. You'll really regret it you have an accident that involves any personal injury claims.

quinn-direct will quote you €4k+ 3rd party, €6k+ comp:confused: ish

Size of engine at the end of the scale ain't going to make much of a difference I'd say. Maybe you'll just have to wait. Thats what I am doing at the moment and I'm almost 24. Only know does affordable (and I don't mean reasonable) insurance seem possible. In fact insurance on a focus 1.6 is almost the same for me as a yaris 1.0

Maybe if you bought a cheap second hand car you might be able to make those €350 p.m insurance payments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

no offence lads but its not what i'm asking or looking for. I'm looking to be a 2nd named driver. And bruce wayne the car would belong to my one of my parents and they'd obivlously use it if they want, so there's your insureable intrest. didn't read the article dont' have to. The point it is, its legal to be a 2nd named driver and to use the vehicle. I know other people are insured so i'm wanna know with who and how much.

Gideon, when do you turn 21, Quinn direct will quote you named on your mothers insurance once you are 21. I put in all the details and assuming you have a full license and your mother has 5 years no claim I got a quotes of

Third Party Fire & Theft Not Protected 1,606.20
    Comprehensive Not Protected 2,283.40
    Third Party Fire & Theft Protected 1,847.14
    Comprehensive Protected 2,625.91

They wouldn't quote for 20yos though. IS this any help??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

when i was 20 i got my provisonal licience and was driving a compay vehicle for two years, my boss could only get 3rd party insurance nothing else. it cost £2000 ( €2539 ) for the year. i tried to get a quote for my parents car ( nissan primera ), no company would give me a price. when i finally got a quote it was for about £5000 ( €6349 ).

I'm now 22, got my full licence last week. I'm now insured on my parents, name driver only, for €380 for the next 5 months. it would be cheaper but my mother lost her now claims bonus last year...... bloody women drivers.... After the the 5 months i should be able to get one years insurance for under €1000. that is much better than what i was previously quoted....

So my point is...... the only way your insurance will come down is to get a full licence

Rabies

• Advertisement

ya will do that next yr. not 21 till then. but i shall conintue my look for insurance. But if not, i'll be getting my motorbike on the road. would of prefered a car for the winter tho :S still shall be good for the summer.

and yes that was more helpful, Thanks!

hope you didn't sence sarcasim or patronising. Never meant it anyway, if I find anything better I'll let you know. Good luck mate

nah, after 4th year and a sucession of crappy jobs and asshole mangers my sarcasim has become god like, to the point when others are being sarcastic seems normal. tis all true :D ahhhhh 4th yr the memories...

Advertisement