Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ideal OS

• 01-05-2001 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

if some one asked you to design ur ideal OS what would it feature????

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jademan

To be honest it would have to feature everthing that is currently avalible in Windows2000 & UNIX world!

It would idealy have a samll minimum footprint, you can run a basic linux/unix system of a floppy & we all know win2000 min footprint is around the 700mb (1.4gb whistler mark). So i would suggest min system that could run of a 100mbzip disk or other removable media & win2k would have problems due to the way ntfs works, i know you can do the above with '95 & '98.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Scripting and a full host of commandline tools.. if theres one thing i hate its having to telnet/ftp into a box to do simple commands like sort/grep/wc/tr etc.

Personally I'd be using Linux or FreeBSD all the time if it had the following:
    1) proper backing of software houses, so as a proper suite of applications can be run on it. I'm talking Photoshop/Macromedia products/Games
    2) Proper wizards allowing a complete novice full capabilities to do what he wants a la Windows (Internet Connections/Hardware Detection etc.)
    3) A proper GUI. Not just one that looks nice (Enlightenment with Gnome/KDE), but one that is intuitive/efficient and consistent (copy/paste shortcuts/commands the same in every window per chance??)

I'd have to agree about the small footprint.. Windows is for the most part just bloatware, throwing a whole load of never used crap on your HD (Windows\Options\Cabs anyone?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 daveccc

Try Apple Mac OS X
    It's FreeBSD basically with full support from major developers, will have all the stuff that's on the current mac platform (ie all the adobe stuff (photoshop etc etc), Microsoft (Office, IE, Outlook & games), tonnes of other stuff. Will all be fully nativie OS X (unix) apps soon. In the mean time it runs Apple's "classic" macintosh apps in an emulated mode, similar to how NT runs windows 3.1 apps.

The GUI is extremely good and intuitive and well designed and the system carries forward all of the ease of use features from the Mac OS legacy. Everything;s drag/drop / point /click etc ... if you want to go into a terminal etc you can or or even boot to a command line and you can access FreeBSD (Darwin) as normal.

It also runs Java 2 stuff natively.. and has a LOT of cool features

Check it out if you're interested.

so far its the only really "comercial" user friendly version of unix with serious application back up from every vendor you can think of..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Don't you need an Apple Mac to run an Apple Mac OS ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

i didnt know OS X was bsd based. Thats interesting. The old apple os's were muppet friendly ****e, but they are very impressive deisgners so a BSD type os from them might be very interesting. Is it available for 86 chips?
    quozl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jademan

Apple have mentioned this and to my knowledge had a beta version somewhere. As you can guess all Mac users could not understand however the media recon that Apple were using it to cut prices on their mac processor by putting pressure on the like of motorola "cut prices or we use the pc!", however it seems the anybody can implement the pc version under the open source licence.

First time the mac has had a command line!!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Apple released Darwin for x86 processors last week. it looks like its only a matter of time before OS X is released for pcs

<sig>Insert witty signature here</sig>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I like the Star Trek OS, specially after the Binars did up the Enterprise...

We are so far away from the ideal OS it's not funny.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Zee Dude

The ideal OS really depends on what you want to do.

UNIX based fro servers.
    Windows for workstations, it is **** easy to setup and maintain.

You can get a variety of OS's for graphics rendering and movies like BEos, which is free and runs on x86 architecture.

My ideal OS would be a simple to use as Windows but with the power of UNIX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

An Os that plays games and makes installing hardware again, and has some fuzzy logic to give it that lived in feeling.
    If it was the exact opposite of My current system I'd be happy.
    Also if I could just enjoy working with windows I'd be happy. I'm sick of struggling against the machines.
    They won#'t need killer robots in the future, Bill h as seen to that. We'll kill our selves before thy ever get the chance after Windows SU (slightly upgraded) crashes BEFORE you even turn on the PC. biggrin.gif
    [/END RANT]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,295 ✭✭✭✭L1011

my ideal OS has been built... BeOS.... i still have XP, for Paintshop, but thats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Anyone got thoughts on QNX ? I really like the way it runs off a floppy _including_ an X-like windows manager - called Photon I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

wtf

dont drag up old posts noobs
    pld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,295 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'll resurrect ancient threads should i wish too... i have little else to do, so why not use works1.1Mbit line to some affect...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

god this is a blast from the past, i posted it that time i had to design one for a college assignment :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

It's pretty sad using a 1MB line for nothing but reading bulletin boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

It would have to be one that could be controled by brain activity while sitting on the couch with a drink and a smoke.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by hostyle
    Anyone got thoughts on QNX ? I really like the way it runs off a floppy _including_ an X-like windows manager - called Photon I believe.
    But does anyone have a working floppy drive & disk now, let alone in the future! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

there should be some feature which auto-locks threads after theyve gone past their sell by date, like maybe if the threads been idle for 4 months it gets auto-locked etc.

its really annoying reading through a load of old ****e just because you forgot to read the dates of the posts (which is in microscopic text somewhere)

im locking the thread because its just plain annoying, hope they build in some auto-lock feature soon into these boards..

ps: to anyone interested in continuing old threads like this one, post up a new topic with a link to the old thread, and continue the discussion there - that way we dont have to read through pages of stuff written in 1954 to get to the current discussion

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement