Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK stabs EU in back with Steel deal

Options
  • 11-04-2002 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Blair seeks special steel deal with Bush

British Prime Minister Tony Blair is pressing for a deal with the US to free British steel industry from the tariffs levied on steel imports to America. The deal was discussed during Mr Blair’s weekend visit to US President George W Bush in Texas, according to the Times. The deal could allow Mr Blair to claim his close alliance with Mr Bush is producing tangible results and protecting British jobs.
    Any exemption for Britain would represent a significant blow to the European Commission, which has sought to maintain a united front against the tariffs.

Written by Lisbeth Kirk
    Edited by Sharon Spiteri

Press Articles [Financial Times] [Financial Times Deutschland] [Guardian] [The Times] [Yahoo]
    Link to article

Should the UK just stop its serious EU scepticism and just leave the EU. It seems to think they can use it purly for economic/trade reasons. The EU was established for much more reasons. Perhaps they should leave the EU and join EEA and maybe even NAFTA...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I've always wondered at Britains level of commitment to the EU in its evolving form.

I remember a UK court case which was referred to the EU, where the European Court overturned a decision from the British courts. Their reaction? They wouldnt accept a ruling from the EU which contradicted their own judicial process - after all, theirs was one of the oldest in the world, and the EU should simply ratify their decisions.

Euro-skepticism is inherently a good thing, in my opinion. We need a group in every nation who's role is to question the worth of forthcoming changes. However, the British seem to have taken this to a unique level.

Blair must be getting some slack. On one hand, he is telling the House that Britain needs to become more EU-friendly, and should even be seriously considering the Euro (which a lot of Britains are vehemently opposed to), and on the other hand, he time and time again shows his willingness to team up with the Americans, rather than honour his EU commitment.

I know a lot of people applauded his rapid giving of support to the Americans in the current "war on terrorism", but again, he snubbed the EU by basically refusing to put forward a united front. Yes, there is the argument that they were being a bit slow in making the decision, but I think this is more of an excuse for Blair to wield, rather than the reason for his action.

Again, looking at the current situation, I believe it is true that the British industry was the only significant steel-producer in the EU which would have been affected seriously by these tarrifs. If this is the case, then we again have a case where Blair is taking the most expedient route to a solution. However, one must again ask whether or not he even consulted with the EU to let them know in advance that he would try and broker a deal.

I dont think they should leave the EU, or be kicked out, but I do think that the EU should be seriously addressing how to deal with errant nations in general. Ireland was in violation of a number of EU agreements (or EC agreements previously) for a number of years, and again, there was little or no comeback.

Every nation will have its flaws in its dealings with the EU. The British are an easy nation to pick on in this regard because of their vocal Euro-skeptics, and the willingness of the British press to promote this at evey opportunity, which gives rise to the rest of the media world launching criticism at them. However, I can't honestly say how they compare to the other EU nations in terms of "EU compliance" (for lack of a better term).

Its a tough nut. Will any nation agree to the EU gaining some level of power to issue some form of penalties or sanctions against fross infringements? I think not - its not in their own interests.

This does, however, highlight the indecisiveness and "fracturedness" of the EU which Sand recently levelled warranted criticism at them for.

jc

Advertisement