Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US defence shield may use nuclear missiles in outer space

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Nice comprehensive reply there jc on the lasers, i'm impressed (and it saved me having to write it, very busy today :rolleyes: ).

2) Atmospheric Attenuation (I think) : As you heat the atmosphere passing through it, the beam actually gets distorted, making pinpoint targetting problematic at the range needed for low-orbit incomings. The more power you use, the worse this problem is. Taken with point 1, this is currently an unsurmounted problem.

To counter the Atmospheric Attenuation they developing the same adaptive mirror technique that is used in the most modern telescopes that can provide images as clear as from Hubble.

The tech I think you're talking about was for supersonic short- and medium-range missiles, and its being developed as a truck-portable system in conjunction with Israel (!).

Haven't heard of that one but they are also looking into creating an airborne laser interception system that will intercept missiles before they reach orbit. The plan involves converting the cabin of a boeing 747 in to a laser generator with the control crew where 1st class should be. Aiming would be done with an opitical turret on the nose of the plane, like on the Apache attach chopper.

Again loads of technical and practical problems with that, even if it does sound cool ;)

Advertisement