Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom Compilation Cd

Options
  • 12-04-2002 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

In my opinion. If Phantom need dosh to spank up their studio and feed the Phantoms..

what better way to Phundraise, than to put together a compilation CD. Make it a double CD, filled back to back with every signed and un-signed (IRISH) band that ever made waves in Phantom airspace. It would take little or no bother to get permission from all the bands. Take for example the Phutloose CD. www.phutloose.com.

Am I right or am I right. There's no argument. It would sell as quick as a slippery snot!!! It would soon have PhantomFM looking like the Taj-Mahal. It would definitley be a NATIONAL success. More Profile could only put more pressure on the FAT licence CAT. They could even sell it over their Web-Site. It could be international!! The Rewards!!! THE REWARDS!!!!

To propose 12 home-grown tracks on each CD. Stressing Home-grown. That makes 24.

If this WAS to go ahead. Would the Phantom listeners not choose the songs? DAMN RIGHT THEY WOULD....

The petition.....

Reply if you feel this could/should be done:

Choose....

Choose the tracks/artists YOU feel are worthy:

As this post increases in size, we should all ( because I'm lazy) observe the top 24 requested artists. With me?

p.s There is no doubt in my mind the artists BELOW will recieve countless ammounts of votes. Give a LITTLE MORE THOUGHT to less fortunate but worthy artists

Turn, Bellx1, Gemma Hayes, Brando, Melaton, (cough) the revs (cough), Damien Rice, The Frames, Blotooth, Mundy, Redneck manifesto, jimmy cake, Babelfish e.t.c

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

i had the same idea a few weeks ago actually... :)

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Sounds like a plan. We'd help if it came together (mastering, supply of bands, duplication discount we've got goin with a company, phundraising for phundraising cd etc...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

there have been quite a few local compilations released recently: The Phutloose one, Dead Languages, Rockets Are Heavy and don't Gigsmart have one out too? Is there much point in another so soon ?

It'd be an excellent cost effective and tasteful money spinner at a phundraising gig where its demand would be at its peak and its market most concentrated, loads of bands will get a good bit of tangible exposure and ppl get introduced to cool tunes they can see live in their city frequently everyone wins.

Twould be dodgy and hard to sell it in a shop for the reasons you outline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 scotsman

Originally posted by Monkey
    there have been quite a few local compilations released recently: The Phutloose one, Dead Languages, Rockets Are Heavy and don't Gigsmart have one out too? Is there much point in another so soon ?

Hi there Monkey, Glad to see you're still keepin an eagles eye over proceedings in these here boards. Yea, there's been a bunch of compilations. But let's face it, if Phantom needs the DO, they've got the designer label. There's no doubt their sales would rocket beyond any of the compilations you speak of, all of which are very good.

• Advertisement

Not so sure it would outsell the gigsmart one thats got a rather super cool brand name! ;)

(only messin Pete, really!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

phantom were quoted the other day as having 30,000 listeners (the irish times)
    7% of the dublin listenership

if just 1000 of those 30,000 people bought the cd in 1 week it'd chart in the top 20 in ireland!

its an amazing idea scotsman... however the capital required to do a proper release would be pretty big... it'd perhaps require a phundraiser night specially to get it off the ground

again i commend your idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lisaq

Man, thats not just a good idea, thats a feckin excellent idea! Good stuff outta u!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

That's a really GOOD idea. U should ask about on the Two Petes Talk Rubbish show. There isn't really any cd out there in the shops that sell irish un-signed singed bands compilation, and it'll will help Phantom to get a lisence aswell if it goes ahead:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭freakofnature

as long as

damien rice
    brando
    turn
    blotooth

are on it me and all my phantomloving friends will buy it. that's a lot of people.

how much would it cost?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Stick on "no easy way to go" by SubRosa and I'd buy it! Also get some stuff by Crayons and Taribo and we'll be heading in the right direction

let me see..mmmmmm....

Ok then. Here's how we're shapin up..

Turn
    Blotooth
    Brando

in at first place with two votes each

Cmon folks, more bands... let get this thread movin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 randy_courage

brilliant idea.

future kings of spain,should be on it.
    maybe some wilt??? but then again maybe not....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭crow

melaton
    future kings of spain
    Mic Christopher/Mary Janes
    Brando
    bellx1
    Gemma Hayes
    Wilt
    Damien Rice
    Josh Ritter
    The Walls
    Cyclefly
    The Murder of Crows *cough*
    Kittser
    TURN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

deputy fuzz
    el diablo
    louise byrne

gee this city has some great music to offer... :)

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 funkster

Based on what I saw last night at TBMC I'd vouch for Polar and Ginseng(?) for deffo and some jimmy cake and Delerentoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 snot

turn - beretta
    blowtooth - day job
    gemma hayes - worked my way into a calm
    bellx 1 - man on meer
    wilt- betty, I was hoping every day but it's all over...
    la rocca- 1902
    the crayons - bringing the conversation down
    the frames - this situation's killing me or god bless m
    polar - lonely robot song

no booring melaton or damien ricers
    keep it sweet -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

hmmm I think it is a good idea - would be cooler if it had stuff that was not on other cd's especially from the better known acts(maybe unreleased songs or acoustic versions or something)

some I would like to see for starters:
    The Frames
    David Kitt
    Polar
    Turn
    Dudley Corp
    LaRocca
    BellX1
    Arch Stanton

not that i dont allready have most this stuff on cd/downloaded but I would by it anyway, actually I think the Phantom compilation would end up looking alot like the mixes I burn for my friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

What a great idea if phantomhas as many lisiners as quoted by polarbelly then it could make it to number one as most lisiners would love a copy. the exposure caused by this in newspaper tv whith phantom fm compolation number 1 (slightly optimistic but you never know) it would eaise a hapload for the station. Im sure they could find the money from somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

oooh some debuty fuzz and some npb would be nice
    also mundy...is mundy irish? im dying to hear his stuff, and every he's playing i'm unable to make it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

this is a brilliant idea!

how about this:

double cd:
    side one has rare stuff by the best of the more well known irish acts:

eg
    damien rice
    frames
    wilt
    turn
    mary janes
    bell x1
    david kitt
    National Prayer Breakfast
    the walls
    gemma hayes
    josh ritter
    jimmy cake
    the walls
    the revs

side two has the best songs by the best of less well known acts:

eg
    brando
    melaton
    blotooth
    subrosa
    crayons
    deputy fuzz
    future kings of spain
    delorentos
    el diablo
    polar
    ginseng
    dudley corporation
    laRocca

winners:
    people who buy it will get a broad range view of the irish music scene and up and coming acts.

phantom will earn money, credibility, and prove their worth across the irish music industry, and also raise the profile hugely and help their push for the elusive lisense...

the well known bands will gain much exposure and press from this release

the less known bands will expand their fanbase and gain huge exposure, possibly getting into the record collection of 1000 people they wouldn't previously.

truely this is a genious idea and it must be pushed forward....

we're doin good here folks. At this stage if I was'nt so lazy, I'd count up the totals. Somebody go to the EDIT- FIND ON THIS PAGE control , add up each band entry and do some kinda chart.

And now.....the phanthom complilation chart is brought to you by........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

at time of writing heres how it shapes up

with 6

turn

brando
    blotooth
    polar...(not a fix count em yourself... i didnt believe it either)
    damien rice
    the frames
    wilt
    bell x 1
    gemma hayes

mundy
    melaton
    the crayonz
    deputy fuzz
    the future knigs of spain
    la rocca
    david kitt
    the jimmy cake

subrosa
    delerentos
    el diablo
    ginseng
    the dudley corporation
    mary janes
    NPB
    the walls
    josh ritter
    the revs

the redneck manifesto
    arch stanton
    babelfish
    taribo
    mic christopher...(although if you count mic and the mary janes together you get 3)
    cyclefly
    the murder of crows
    and
    louise byrne

phew...

nice one by the way to everyone putting polar down... :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by scotsman
    ooops:eek: poor mundy:eek: not a single mention:eek:

;););)

check again, i do believe i brought him up:)

Nice one POLARBELLY.
    Will that be the final line-up?
    I'm sure there's someone with a CD burner out there who could make a prototype or two. CMON PHANTHOM give us the thumbs up!
    Until you do...More people voting please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Minx

this is a great idea scotsman. if there was a double cd how about one cd of signed bands and one of unsigned.
    i was in eamon dorans on sunday night and came across a band called the jive principle - supposidly they get played quite alot on phantom. they were wicked. here's my ideas

the frames
    brando
    david kitt
    mundy
    the redneck manifesto
    the jive principle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Wahey, a bit of support for us!! :)
    Who are you minx? Do we know ye? Thanx anyway....

<edit>BTW Minx... did you happen to see the girl stripping at the front of the stage!? I missed it as I was engrossed in the kit! :( </edit>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

mundy
    frames
    damien rice (with lisa of course)
    wilt
    turn
    melaton
    snow patrol
    the walls
    therapy?
    bell X1
    cyclefly
    superskin
    skyjack
    NPB
    polar (like the new single, keep it up!!)
    ginseng
    murder of crows
    berkeley
    presence
    paul o'rielly and friends

Advertisement