Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What think ye of Julian Cope?

Options
  • 12-04-2002 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

I saw him last night, and man...can he talk
    His music seemd ok, although his quitar playing wasnt the best, but i kind of liked the sounds he was making.
    I was just wondering was their any mega fans or enemies on the baord who wanted to express their opinion about him?

also...i spied someone with a mullet perm last night...woohoo!If only Up for it was still on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Mad as a March Hare, produced some unbelieveable rubbish and just as much brilliant stuff. His autobiography (Head-On/Repossessed) is stunning and one of my favourite books of all time. How the man is still alive and functioning properly is a mystery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

You can quite safely put me in the category of 'mega fan', although I'm sulking with him at the moment 'cause he played in Dublin last night, the night *before* I'm coming home for a weekend visit. Bah. Heard the gig was great, but that was from another mega fan (Bren, who also posts here... where are you, Bren?)

I pretty much like everything he's ever done, but in varying degrees - his best phase was the Peggy Suicide/ Jehovakill period in the early 90s, although I'm also extremely fond of the stuff he did with the Teardop Explodes and his early solo stuff from the mid-80s.

He's also a very good writer - read his 2 biogs, his study of German underground music of the 60s and 70s ('Krautrocksampler') and his in-depth exploration of ancient sites in Britain ('The Modern Antiquarian'), they're all fab.

He's also, I would agree, mad as a brush, has one of the sexiest male voices ever committed to vinyl and used to look fanatastic in a pair of leathers (although he's knocking on a bit now and has quite sensibly stopped wearing them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

re: 'one of the sexiest male voices ever committed to vinyl'

you obviously haven't heard much Val Doonican then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭freakofnature

he thinks courtney love should be shot...
    i'm an enemy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

reallyl enjoyed it, though not a huge fan. What was the story with the encore that never happened? Waited 15 mins then left. The guitar tech kept peeping out from the curtain, and the lights didn't go on. Maybe he fell over in those boots on the way back to the stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

the reason he never did the encore was you guys never gave him a big enough cheer!!!
    dunno if that is actually the reason but thats what the sound guy came up with
    those boots were so so so so so tall. and maria doyle kennedy wore a funky red glittery pair when she came in. i was so tempted to ask where they bought them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by freakofnature
    he thinks courtney love should be shot...
    i'm an enemy

But he knew her personally, so maybe he knows something you don't...
    Anyway, I think he's mellowed a bit over the Courtney thing, I seem to remember him taking the above comment back and saying that she just needs to be re-educated.
    Funnily enuff she gts no mention in the first biog when she would have been hanging out with his lot.

Advertisement