Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to Win2k Server

Options
  • 12-04-2002 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I'm trying to connect a Mac Powerbook running OS8.5 to a Win2k Server running AppleTalk. The Mac can see the server but when I try to connect to it, it goes away for some time (about 2 mins) and then returns with an I/O error. Anybody know about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Never set AppleTalk up on Windoze, but I've done it on Linux... The problem I'd say is almost certainly with Windoze. There is virtually nothing to configure on the Mac - it just works. Have a look at the Windoze side again.

Make sure that you've set up a folder or drive to share, and make sure that the name/password are correct.

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Have you tried a program called "Dave". I think that is the one that enables good translation between the two types. You can get it as a demo from downloads.com I think.

If you have money to burn get a copy of "Virtual PC" and install Win2k on your mac, and network appropriately. I wouldn't say that you'd need to go that far though. I'm fairly sure I've connected to win2k but with OS9. And I may have used Dave to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Oculusdei

Its easy to setup Services for Macintosh on Win2K server. You just need to have the w2k server CD to hand. Go into control panel, add/remove programs, windows components and find Services for Mac.

Once its setup you should recreate your shares by right clicking "my computer" and select manage, then select shares. When you create a new share this way you get the option to make the share available to Mac users also.

Any problems with it let me know and I'll try to help.

OculusDei

Advertisement