Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate when people say wait for ADSL!!

Options
  • 07-05-2001 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

LOOK "lads" i asked a simple question about chorus powernet i didn't want some bender telling me about "geostationary orbits" or f*cken ADSL which will be available in bloody 2008. I want to know what available NOW this MONTH. god.i hate these procrastinating dickheads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

ISDN or 56k.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

well you *could* go into the big money and get T1's and other really fast connection's for thousands of pounds smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

OJ a 128k down and 64 up leasted line will set you back £7000 a year.
    now imagine how much a t1 would, probably that a month

[This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 07-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

£7000 wtf
    move to sweeden where a 10MBIT leased line will set you back £120 a year.

seriously, there was a guy over a LLU *****ign about the price, i can believe it to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by m1ke:
    £7000 wtf
    move to sweeden where a 10MBIT leased line will set you back £120 a year.
    </font>

*Packs bags and books a one way ticket to sweden!*

Bloddy hell! thats for nuthing!

allso about different countries prices, i would compare them,
    i was talking to a guy and he said he will pay aus$79 a month for adsl, and i was like thats pretty cool, he thought it was crap.
    you can get a little over aus$2 for IR£1.
    but then i remembered the over there the gnp is much less. coast of living is low, and wags are lower then here.
    you can really comapre non eu countries.
    but sweden i would have expect to be one of the most expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

the sweedish bloke i talked to in the stockholm i think ... or one of the urban areas said it's around 10 irish pounds a month to lease a 10MBIT line. So there ya go :/ costs more to lease a ****in normal telephone line from eircom.

Also in the central business district in London it costs £800 a year to lease a 2MBIT connection - however bandwidth charges don't apply but it still works out relatively ****in cheap compared to anything here.

most people say adsl is going to be £50-£60
    so thats £720 yearly sub
    that thats for 516k down and 128k up.
    seems to me were going to get ripped off.

I can remeber how many people were waiting for ISDN, the exact same as we are adsl and cable now, *****ing on about now having it, and how much "cheaper" i would be.
    still got ripped off in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Sweden has a governemnt that actually spends a huge amount of money on connections for their country. They sponsor the installations of cable around the country allowing the actualy isp's to charge less for line rental.

I know many guys in sweden with VERY cheap ADSL and a few with 10mbit connects. Many companies get 100mbit connects too.

Edited for silly typing smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Snaga (edited 07-05-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭zeemoud

yes thats great but i aint some bloody scandanavian were talking about ireland DICKFACE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Listen up fool, i was clarifying someones post. You got your answer, ISDN and 56k. THATS IT, unless your in tallaght theres f all else. You want to know about chorus - RING THEM.

Now stop acting the idiot.

[This message has been edited by Snaga (edited 07-05-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I used to pay £800+ for 56k dialup pre surf limited a couple of years ago, bahh, 2MBIT i hear you say m1ke over in BT's hq makes me a wee bit yabadababa__dooo if you know what i mean.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

ok someone just anwser this without blabbing on plz biggrin.gif

When will ADSL be out.

When will NTL have cable out everywhere in dublin, lasti heard they stoped cause no money

What happened to that xdsl thing from genesis

When will we get a flat rate thing like snl except u dont get thrown off and can use it any time u want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by zeemoud:
    yes thats great but i aint some bloody scandanavian were talking about ireland DICKFACE!!!</font>

Why would anybody even ask whats available here.its simple 56k or ISDN, now thats not too complex.
    If you want speed you better look to the sky mate but if you have like 7G then you can have your fixed line.
    and where the fuk is your attitude coming from?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When will NTL have cable out everywhere in dublin, lasti heard they stoped cause no money</font>

NTL never said why they were stopping, you just heard that by rumor that they had no money, don't believe everything you hear in rumor.NTL is a very rich and world wide company so they defenly have the money if they need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by damnyanks:
    ok someone just anwser this without blabbing on plz biggrin.gif
    When will ADSL be out.
    </font>
    Noone knows with any degree of accuracy. Anything from 6 months to 2 years. take your pick.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

When will NTL have cable out everywhere in dublin, lasti heard they stoped cause no money
    </font>
    Noone knows. They stopped to re-evaluate the financial viability of the whole project. The new MD of ops in Ireland said they would restart in 'areas of high demand'. Thats all thats known

What happened to that xdsl thing from genesis
    </font>
    No idea

When will we get a flat rate thing like snl except u dont get thrown off and can use it any time u want

</font>
    When the Local Loop is unbundled. Yet again, noone knows for sure when this will happen. 3 months to a year would be a reasonable estimate. This service is available if you live in an NTL upgraded area. If you dont, see above.

what dustaz said is kinda true
    i dont seriously think adsl will be delayed for 2 more years.
    but if eircom keeps down the same path as it is i can see it you waiting till christmas - febuary for it.
    once the first lines are unbundled ADSL will follow soon after, even dunstaz must agree with me on that.
    as for ntl, forget it, ntl wont offer cable internet to any decent number of people untill adsl hits.

now zeemoud i thought we were here to voice opinion, Snaga has come out with some stuff in the past, but nobody has called him a dickface before. if your looking to get banned keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Would Dublin 7 (city center) be considered an "Area of High Demand"?

Has to be right? What with all of the shops and Govt. Buildings...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I have all Irish broadband and more in the Broadband page of my website. Go look.

http://uie.8m.com

--Chris--

• Advertisement

since when is dublin 7 city center?
    the best place to be is right next to a bussiness park.
    apart from that high demand means the place they get permission to rip up and that will coast the least to do,
    your looking at dublin 4-2 as theres alot of fiber down allready and dublin
    not dublin 1 since the corpo being a ***** about permission.
    as for the rest it stand as good a chance as anywere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by zeemoud:
    LOOK "lads" i asked a simple question about chorus powernet i didn't want some bender telling me about "geostationary orbits" or f*cken ADSL which will be available in bloody 2008. I want to know what available NOW this MONTH. god.i hate these procrastinating dickheads</font>

I think zeemod needs to get out more!

"procrastinating"
    you just know hes been watching countdown

anyway off topic is good, so anybody got oany thought on that new asus motheboard,
    you know the one that supports sdram and ddr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OJ:
    NTL never said why they were stopping, you just heard that by rumor that they had no money, don't believe everything you hear in rumor.NTL is a very rich and world wide company so they defenly have the money if they need it.</font>
    They have said themselves that they were stopping - it wasn't just a rumor. However, It looks they are still completing some areas that they started upgrading prior to the anouncement and unoficially selling the service to these areas and the already upgraded areas.

Their offical position at the moment is that they will be offering digital TV (not phone or cable modem) to certain areas. These areas were the more recently installed Cablelink networks.

What annoys me about NTL is that it is only in Ireland that they seem to have halted upgrading. They are pushing cable modems heavily in Belfast.

thats because they got ****ed around here
    they came in and were told that the cable netwrok was ab and c the they said ok 600 million should covers us, now they fiond its xy and z and they need closer to 1 billion, this they dont like,

in belfast they came in, were told it was a crap netwrok, said ok 400 million upgrade belfast,

the difference is they were level with ntl we werent,
    and i allso think you might want to ring them again as the "new" situation is cable internet and digital tv in one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

zeemoud, if you can't have a bit of respect for the people in here, kindly **** off. The people in here know what they are talking about, you won't get this kind of info by reading the papers, or ringing some sales person in eircom/ntl/esat/chorus. They are pointing out the terrible state of our communications, and comparing it to other countries is not a bad thing.

It doesn't take too much intelligence to work out what's available right now. You can't have avoided hearing of 56k and ISDN. They are available just about everywhere. If cable was available in your area, you would have a leaflet from ntl telling you about it. So use d'oul head before asking any more stupid questions.

sorry
    I didn't mean to say that
    I know they told people they were stopping
    as for them continuing
    they make a contract with the Goverment that they would have x ammount of houses upgrade by some date, I cannot rememeber what date
    they will probberly just do that x ammount of houses and then stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bureaufbi

WOW!!ARE you people still alive?I wonder if there were Wifi at that time!And its 2013 here,and I really think ADSL really does SUCK!!!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement