Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

im am not impressed

• 07-05-2001 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

Talking to a guy in England the other day, he was telling me he might be getting 2mbps ADSL in afew months another guy in America told me about something called ip on fiber, really really new stuff, meant to make t1 look slow and comes down the phone line.
    the point im getting at like usual in Ireland by the time we get ADSL at 512k that will be the standard rate in more eu countries and even more common in the us.

it will over come 56k users, but we will still be sitting here on 516k while other countries would have t1 lines all over a city the size of Dublin.

this constant waiting, *****ing, and lack of back bone of the odtr will continue. it will never end, as soon as we have ADSL, HDSL will be the next think eircom or esat can string us on for years with and just as soon as its going out in other countries we will get it.

what brought this home to me was today I was looking through my bookmarks and saw one for hackwatch about ISDN and it was the same ****e as we have now.

face it were always going to get screwed here.

at least I have my plains for my new pc to distract me from this total crap.

END RANT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Umm...I think 99.9999% of Irish internet users would be totally satisfied with decent DSL/Cable. No need to be going into anything else right now. Lets face it, who really needs a 2MB per second connection? (Other than big businesses maybe).

Just...you know...relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Bugger ADSL, Eircom, ODTR etc etc. Im waiting for 2005, when everyone will be able to get a decent 64mb/s Teledesic connection via satellite. Now that will be sweet.

--Chris--

<A HREF="http://uie.8m.com
    " TARGET=_blank>http://uie.8m.com
    </A>

THE source for Internet news in Ireland. Polls, broadband, letter to ODTR, ISP details and A PETITION AGAINST EIRCOM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

"I think 99.9999% of Irish internet users would be totally satisfied"
    thats my point, we never go ahead of anything allways behind.
    we have been fead on ****e so long we 99% of real irish internet users would pay £80 a month for adsl.thats how ****ing bad we are.

like come on none of us would know decent broadband at a good price if it hit us.

Eircom says 2 months you will have adsl £70 a month £300 up front and we say **** 2 months i want it now.
    and im one of them that would say it to

all im saying is dont epect this to be a steping stone to bigger and better things, its not, we will have adsl at 512k for years and years to come, long after it stops being good. i mean the way pcs tech has come 10 years time people will ***** about slow downloads on twice that speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Joe, once the unbundling is sorted, eircom is out of the picture for good. Who cares if they dont offer services, somone else will if there is a demand there.

Also, most 'real' (as opposed to..?) irish internet users wouldnt pay £80 pm for 512k adsl smile.gif

Of course its a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Once unbundling happens, eircom is out of the picture, and any other telco that wants can offer any other service it wants.

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Joe stop bull****ting, dual isdn is enough for anything other than dling warez and pr0n so getting 512k is a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Listen joe22, theres no point in getting ****ed, you have to reason this out.
    the whole process of going from standard 56k--->DSL will involve a number of key steps.one of which is flat rate 56k(how many months is this away?).
    DSL is a non starter this year but flatrate is something resonable to hope for.
    PS (Fibre to the Kerb[FTTK]is commercial T3 speeds at 10M/Bit cable costs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:
    ...and lack of back bone of the odtr will continue. it will never end...</font>

Just like to say that the ODTR stood up to Eircon by issuing prices at less than half what the fe(kers quoted. Eircon can only take so long before they HAVE to open the LLU's. And the government is being lobbies to set up a new council to promote e-business and telecommunications in ireland. the future's bright and thank fu(k the futures not Eircon

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭smokin' an'chewin' man

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Q_Ball:
    Just like to say that the ODTR stood up to Eircon by issuing prices at less than half what the fe(kers quoted.
    </font>

Stood up to them ? The ODTR only announced a list of prices after months of delays and who know if they have the balls to carry it through and whack Eircom over the head at the same time....
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Eircon can only take so long before they HAVE to open the LLU's.
    </font>

Don't you believe it. This court case and all it's appeals might take us to October ! and don't be surprised if another case starts in....October !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Q_Ball:
    the future's bright and thank fu(k the futures not Eircon</font>
    biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    whitelancer:
    Joe stop bull****ting, dual isdn is enough for anything other than dling warez and pr0n so getting 512k is a bonus.
    </font>

******, isdn always gives you +30 ping compared to cable types, whether its dual or not.
    also, who the **** is going to use dual isdn when you have to pay 90p a ****ing hour or something for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

i was going to reply to WhiteLancer but Koopa made all my points for me,

Moriarty you get 50 in a room, you say who has the interner 30 hands at least go up

right who aws on it last at all last month,
    20 hands are up last week 15 hands ar up,
    last night 8 hands are up.

loads of people thing they are internet users but they wouldnt know were to start

chernobyl i know things take along time but how long is to long.
    and T3 lines going into homes in come place of the world,now that is something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

look joe, you post too damn much on these boards to not at least "scan" your posts before submitting. Please, it's giving me a headache trying to figure out what you are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I've posted on this time and time again.
    Theres already god knows how many threads about dsl/eircom/llu/esat/odtr/cable.
    I'm not entertaining yet another pointless and repetitive rant about the state of Irelands infrastructure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement