Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads, any and all comments would be appreciated

• 12-04-2002 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭

OK, im haveing major ****e with my current system,
    Transcend AKT4-b, Riva TNT2 M64, 128mb SDRAM, WinME, AMD Athlon 1ghz (not XP or Tbird, just Athlon) are all u need to know
    The bloody thing keeps dying on me if i do anything that involves the AGP, ie all games (hell even CIV if i stay at it long enough)

So ive decided to upgrade
    Can you please provide comments please
    Im most likely going to purchse from Overclockers.co.uk or Komplett.ie, or a combination of both
    so heres what im getting (im putting this on the wanted board aswell, if u got any of the ****)

Abit KR7A-RAID

512 ddr

either

Creative 3DBlaster GeForce4 MX440 64MB
    AGP, DDRAM, (from Komplett) €165
    r
    Gainward AGP GeForce3 Ti/500 128MB 4,0n (komplett) €281.37
    r
    overclockers also have this WinFast GF4 stuff, but i havent heard anything about it so im wary

SB Audigy (bulk)from Overclockers €80.76
    same from Komplett €93.46

OK, ill be changing to Win2k aswell
    Please help (Am experienced at ripping PC's to shreds, dont treat me as a user)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

Originally posted by Drazhar
    OK, im haveing major ****e with my current system,
    Transcend AKT4-b, Riva TNT2 M64, 128mb SDRAM, WinME, AMD Athlon 1ghz (not XP or Tbird, just Athlon) are all u need to know
    The bloody thing keeps dying on me if i do anything that involves the AGP, ie all games (hell even CIV if i stay at it long enough)
    Never ever ever ever buy transcend :) oh, and never use winMe

Abit KR7A-RAID
    nice board but if your not gonna use raid i would get one without it

OK, ill be changing to Win2k aswell
    Please help (Am experienced at ripping PC's to shreds, dont treat me as a user)
    try linux :) well actually win2k is the only piece of msware that i have any respect for..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

you mentioned games so if your system is gonna be used for games then win98se is best if u got it lying around.
    If you use it for other stuff as well then i aint sure what ya should use.

I ordered my stuff from overclockers, i got a dodgy cpu offa em but they replaced it fairly quick.

I've heard that the Audigy can have driver problems but i got one the other day (Audigy Player) and installed the drivers from the cd and np's so far. Just thought i'd warn ya tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Well, thanks for the response
    ssiob
    ill be most likely using Linux for college only, so maybe a 2gb partition for it, but ill mainly b using windows

bkdzr
    im not sure about WIN98se, i hate all those exceptions and errors, that so far i have yet to get with ME

Ill most likely be Dual booting 2k with either 98se or ME, but purely for entertainment purposes, actually with linux ill be tri booting!! ill have to do a bit more research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I didnt think they let Dark Templars near PC's?

Ah well.

Win2k is grand for 99% of the games out there. Make sure you install Service Pack2, the Application Compatibility update and the VIA 4in1 drivers when you install.
    Dual booting is a good idea for when you want the other 1%.

Rather than the Gef3 why not wait for the Gef4 Ti 4200? It's a little bit faster and a lot cheaper than a Gef3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Unless it's overclocked, how can it NOT be a Thunderbird Athlon?

And if it's a choice between the GeForce 4 MX440 and the GeForce 3 Ti 500, get the GeForce 3. But I'd wait for the GeForce 4 Ti 4600 if I where you.

• Advertisement

OK, here's the thing, the CPU at the bios only says Athlon 100x10 thingie (to show its a 1ghz i assume) Same in the System Information, only shows it as an Athlon, no Tbird or XP or any of that, even on the chip it only says Athlon, now ill admit its the only athlon chip ive seen, so i could be wrong

TI4600 eh, ill go have a look around, but i wants a solution fast, its wrecking my head

Hold on there a sec lads, the TI4600 is nearly €600, so fuk that
    the GF3 (gainward from Komplett) is €240 cheaper than the Gainward GF4 TI4600, and i dont see much difference, appart from the GF 4 being a bit faster, i mean same memory, plus i doubt ill be using **** like VIVO and TV-Out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yes it is an athlon, the thunderbird derivative of the athlon. Look for prices on the gf4 ti 4200, it will be much cheaper than the 4600. And install win2k.

Ok, which one of these
    Creative GF4 ti440 (€400)

Gainward AGP GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB DDR
    - "Ultra 700XP Golden Sample", Retail (€440)

MSI AGP GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB DDR DVI
    - G4TI4400-VTD, Tv-Out/Video-in, Retail (€420)

and whats the main difference tween 4400 and 4600??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

give loonix a 4GB partition (between swap space and other things).
    Win2k is the best MS OS around.
    Does that Golden Sample have TV-out/Vid-in and DVI?
    It has a big feck-off heatsink all over the board doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Drazhar
    Ok, which one of these
    Creative GF4 ti440 (€400)

Gainward AGP GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB DDR
    - "Ultra 700XP Golden Sample", Retail (€440)

and whats the main difference tween 4400 and 4600??

clock and ram speeds id imagine, feature wise id say they're identical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Jim the only problem you will have with Win2k is some of your older Games wont work, so give very little space to Windows 98se/Me which ever you choose. All modern gmaes play fine on win2k, so anything after 2000 should work. Just make sure all the latest drivers and Service packs are applied, i have all of these and ill drop them down to you at the end of the month.

Last but not least, DirectX 8.1 for Win2k is a must aswell.

That motherboard i nice so go with it.

He doesnt need 4gb for linux at all. You can have a perfecly funciotn linux system running on a 512mb disk or partition let alone a big fat 4gb partition.

id go with
    over the Gainward board.

Good luck.

Paul

Yeah thats the one im lookin at alright, probably ordering on friday night too,
    hey just came to mind, but i think i gots a 2.5gb floatin around i could fuk linux onto,
    got the latest service packs for 2k, will probably go with 98se as second OS.
    Nice banner flamey

tanx all 4 ur help

Advertisement