Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Altavista is Amazons *****

• 07-05-2001 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know but just recently if I use www.av.com to search for stuff every couple of searches all I get is Amazon.com crap links.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Yeah I know it really is annoying and those ads make the page load up very slowly.
    Just use Google but recently esat seems to be causing Google not to load for me

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I've noticed a good few people saying that they can not connection to certain web sites and server's on esat, very odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What I meant was. I can do a search for something and every single link that comes up is to Amazon.com selling the same crap which is remotely close to the search critera.

Doesn't happen all the time, but if I wanted to search Amazon, I'd go to thier site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

revenue stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hobbes, prolly like yerself I've been an av fan since it was on digital server, but it's slowly gone to sh!te...

Nowadays I generally always use av.com/?text which redirects to ( http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?text ) for the text-only site.

I was extremely ****ed off when they put a banner on the text-only page though, but never got any response to my email...

What are you using otherwise?

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I used to like altavista before they turned it into another crappy portal filled with rubbish that nobody wants.

Nowadays I use google.com.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I used to use www.raging.com which was altavista without any ads or banners... (I see it now redirects to the text only av search...) It was always pretty good... nice and fast... but now I always use google and especially with the google toolbar in IE, I think its pretty incredible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

ya altavista is crap!!

i use www.webopedia.com for finding definitions, n www.google.com for everything else smile.gif

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

google ownz.

ne1 use alltheweb??

i thought that was good, but now all i get are messageboard posts, in the search results.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"
    -Nietzsche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

as Hecate said, positions and search results are all about profit, thats what search engines are there for.

I know goto (i think it was them) used to have two databases.. one for advertisers and one for everything else.

For each search request a result is taken from each of the databases and then displayed in a 1:4 or 1:2 ratio, neat way of doing it and keeping both people happy (well nearly).

I'd be surprised if this wasn't in common practice with search engines.

Anyway use google smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Google does... how-you-say(?) 0wN A-V's p4Nt5!

{Edit:} btw... as y'all know, anyone remotely associated with eircom has been seen to collapse or come close to collapsing lately... take a look who AV Ireland's sponsors are wink.gif ...

476442-altavista_sposorship_graphic.gif

Bard

Less of that L33tSpeak(tm) from you, young bard!!!

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 08-05-2001).]

Advertisement