Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duel monitors

• 05-05-2001 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Right, I want to set up my win2k machine to use 2 monitors, I have an AGP Ge-force and a 8 meg ATI PCI card.

The ATI is being detected but it says it cant be started. If anyone else has setup a duel monitor system could they post up how they went about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

first its not going to work, ati and geforce generaly dont work together well.
    secound i dont thing the geforce supports dual monitors, give me a minute ill find out.
    i know that plain 3d cards like voodoo 3 wont support it.

The only real requirements are that the drivers for your main video adapter are able to support Dual Monitors. Usually you won't have a problem with this, but if you have a Standard Adapter installed, Dual Monitors will not work.
    Also, something that sucks about Multi-Mon, is that because of the way your devices get enumerated, your PCI card is always going to be used as the main monitor, the AGP card will be used as the secondary monitor. If you have to PCI cards, it will depend on what PCI slot they are in. This kind of sucks if you have a rocken AGP card, and buy a sucky PCI card just for multi-mon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cariarer

Never tried to use it under Win2k but on 98 a bit back. If I recall it right, the primary card does not need to support it but the additional cards. But anyway, I think if your card has drivers for Win2k you can be sure that they work (or at least should), as the issue at the time was, that the card I had came only with Win95 drivers.

Regarding Joe's comment of having the PCI as primary card, that is true but can be set in many cases in the bios of newer machines (mine is over 2 years old and has this feature). And also: Voodoo 3 is a "full" video card, you meant Voodoo 1 & 2 =)

Regards, Cr...

Ps: Don't let your monitors shoot each other wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Well, I mucked about with it...

The reason it wasnt working was that it was an old PCI card so I had to set it was the primary.

Then in windows I set the Ge-force to the primary so for most stuff its grand. However when I go to play a game it reverts back to the real primary.

End result, Quake 3 trys to use a 4mb graphics card when theres a perfectly good Ge-force sitting next to it smile.gif

Guess ill have to get a newer secondry graphics card so I can set the Ge-force as the primary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

That or just sell your geforce and replace it with a version with dualhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Using two g/fx cards to do multi-moniters is almost always going to give a problem. In work we us a duel g/fx card for our Dealers, when I'm in work on Tuesday, I'll find out what it is. Any way what do you need it for?

if you say a game I'll go down to your house and smack you up side the head!!!!! biggrin.gif

Any way good luck with the two card way

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

yea voodoo 2 and your allways going to have porblems with games wanting to play on the pci

you can pick one of those dual monitor card like sutty is saying pretty cheap.id go for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

get yourself a matrox G400, best option if you want duel monitors.

their top of the range for 2d graphic, no question on that. but if he wants decent 3d
    hes going to have to stick with a geforce

[This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 06-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Jug-A-Lug

i got 2 monitors up using a voodoo3 agp and a sis 8mb 3d card the qual was crap on the second monitor tho :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I tried it with win 98 before, wels, years ago, cant remember the details, But if you install one card first this will be used as the primary. Im not sure if both cards were pci or what. After the first card is installed install the second and this pics up as the slave adaptor. Not to much info there. But at least I'm trying and not telling you to sell up smile.gif

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Phil, I didn't mean it like that. If he's going to use duel monitors to play games on then he has already wasted money. I was talking to andy on IRC last night and he said he wanted them for programing (he doesn't need a Ge-Force for that) The cards I'm thinking of are made by a company called "apin" (something like that anyway) they are very good and have a very good driver/program with them. I dont know what there 3d is like but they are pci. so you could have this card and the ge-force in the same system, the ge-force can be used for games and the other for duel monitors. (a splitter cable going to one monitor from both cards) (you can get programes that will enable/disable cards as a program is run.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Well in work we can use dual monitors on our PCs no problems with win2k we use Matrox g400's I think they come with dual heads and it works a treat the only problem is sometimes the video card runs low on RAM.

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

kayos a Matrox 455 or 550 wouldnt have that problems,

Right lads, I got it working almost right now.

Windows is happy enough as are most games, except Quake (1 and 3), if I can figure out whats stopping them working ill be sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by El_Presidente:
    Right lads, I got it working almost right now.

Windows is happy enough as are most games, except Quake (1 and 3), if I can figure out whats stopping them working ill be sorted.
    </font>

It might be to do with the fact that Quake uses OpenGL whereas most windows games are DirectX. There might be a setting in OpenGL to use the correct monitor. Just a guess...

Right, got it. to get openGL stuff working I just disable the 2nd monitor.

Grand, well thats everything working, thanks to all who helped.

[This message has been edited by El_Presidente (edited 06-05-2001).]

in my experience its in the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I can't believe how many people jumped in and said, DITCH the geforce, and spend loads of cash on a new card. He asked how he could get his existing setup working, not how to waste some cash. At least joe realises now it would be better to stick with the geforce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

jesus christ the word is DUAL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ahh those monitors of old that dueled to win the hand of the fair maiden.

*cue footage of two 17" CRT's riding horseback at each other*

Interesting topic as I am about to do the same tonight. From looking at the display settings in w2k it seems a lot more mature than w98.

Also I have recently upgraded my aging v3500 to a Geforce2 MX. This has no other relevance other than it makes me happy.

mmmm 700 megatexels mmmmm

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Koopa I challenge you to a dual at sunrise over yonder hilly brook.

Advertisement