Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Channel 4 & UTV

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

If you check out the Backchat screen of Channel 999,
    you will see some good news about UTV/Channel 4.
    :D
    Saw the info on another board but can't seem to access the
    999 channel now.
    I wonder will Sky put up the subscription rate when the channels appear.

EDIT: Managed to tune into 999 at last.
    Does not give a timeframe for UTV/CH 4, but it is the most positive
    feedback from Sky so far about this issue.
    Also we can forget about CH5.
    And the Sky+ and nominal cost extra decoder will be available in the summer.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by carrolls
    If you check out the Backchat screen of Channel 999,
    you will see some good news about UTV/Channel 4.
    :D
    999 channel now.

And the Sky+ and nominal cost extra decoder will be available in the summer.:D

Also says sky + coming in summer

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Carrolls,

Great Scoop!

There is actually a good deal of good news for Irish viewers indeed:

1. In respect of UK Terrestrials - Irish viewer asks 'Will Channel 4 Channel 5 and UTV be available on Sky in ROI? Mark Deering replies that discussion is continuing with all terrestrials interested in broadcasting via Sky to Ireland. Mark D hopes UTV and C4 will be available 'in the future', but that C5 won't.

2. A Q on Sky+ from a Dublin viewer - Wants to know when he will be able to get a mirror subscription. Sky's sales and marketing team say that they have been working hard to get the same services in ROI as in UK. The Integration has taken longer but they are confident that Sky+ and mirror subs will be available this summer.

3. An NI viewer also has a 'text' query (the other two are presented by Sky Newsreader Julie Etchingham) relating to the 4 Irish channels being available in the North. The reply comes back that there is a responsibility on broadcasters to ensure their rights to the territories they broadcast too, and that RTE are attempting to procure such rights. The reply hints that they could be available soon.

Given Sky's conservative and cautious approach to information release, I am heartened by their responses to these questions. They must be listening to us!!

I also think that the distinction Mark Deering makes between ITV / C4 (WILL be available, just a matter of when) and C5 (WILL NOT be available, "ever") suggests that there is significant progress already made. (And possibly the only delay now is RTE getting the rights for NI - some reciprical arrangement is at play, I am guessing)

Knowing the importance of the Autumn schedule, would it be worth betting that C4 and ITV will be available on Sky in ROI by then? And RTE / TV3 in the north at that time too?

Tony, Carrolls,

Sorry for repetition, we were all watching at the same time it seems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

maybe Rupert will buy Channel 5 now that the rules have been changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

This is great news indded!. I wonder what Orla Mc KIbbin in UTV is now saying

Originally posted by Mossy Monk

I wonder will Murdoch keep C5 as an independent channel or merge it with Sky One. I believe his real interest in buying it is to have a Sky foothold in all TV homes - Satellite, Cable and now Terrestrial. I would guess that if he buys it, the traditional reluctance of C5 to be shown in Ireland will disappear and it will arrive.

Unlikely, but possible? It would be a tragedy if all this happened before C4 and UTV - I am sure Sky would delay their launch and make a big deal instead about C5 now being available in ROI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Brian OD

If you check out the Backchat screen of Channel 999, you will see some good news about UTV/Channel 4.

999 channel now.

Mark Deering's comments on Backchat are nothing new - this was all reported in the (Irish) papers and on another website months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Originally posted by Mossy Monk

I saw in a British news paper last week ( can't remember which I read heaps of them) that Murdoch (I suppose they actually meant him not sky or news corps) said he will not be buying C5 and has no interest in doing so. Of course this could actually mean he is hours away from doing exactly that.
    Roll on C4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by Genghis
    Tony, Carrolls,

Sorry for repetition, we were all watching at the same time it seems!

no need to apologise

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Likewise Genghis. No apology needed.
    Mark Deering's comments on Backchat are nothing new - this was all reported in the (Irish) papers and on another website months ago!

Ok 'Brian OD' thats all very fine,
    but there is a big difference between something being reported in the Sunday Business post and something being reported in Sky's own Backchat channel.
    They don't put items in the Backchat slot unless they are imminent or fairly close. Well it has never happened before. Everything in the Backchat slot usually happens soon after.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I do hope to see C4 very soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Brian OD

Ok 'Brian OD' thats all very fine, but there is a big difference between something being reported in the Sunday Business post and something being reported in Sky's own Backchat channel.

Oh, was there something in the SBP?

I was referring to the Mark Deering interview that appeared in one of the dailies. As I said originally, this is nothing new - Mark Deering is now saying on backchat what he himself has already told the newspapers a while ago.

Mark Deering is in Ireland,surely the best thing is to contact him and find out what is really happening, I agree saying "sometime in the future" dos'nt really mean anything. Where does M.D hang out anyway? Back Chat seem to be able to find him

Originally posted by irishbyte
    I do hope to see C4 very soon :)

Is that just a general hope, Irishbyte, or have you heard something more concrete? Or am I reading too much into it? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

where does everyone think C4 and UTV will be on the EPG?
    Up near the BBC's I suppose

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I also think that the distinction Mark Deering makes between ITV / C4 (WILL be available, just a matter of when) and C5 (WILL NOT be available, "ever") suggests that there is significant progress already made.

I expected as much regarding C5...given the trouble they've caused RTE in NI (once UTV backed down, they became the main obstacle) its no surprise they have no interest in becoming available in ROI...seems Chorus have now dropped C5 from the ex-Suir Nore regions now.

As for whether Rupert Murdoch will buy into C5...various conspiracy theorists suggest the clause in the Communications Bill allowing him to do so was written with him in mind. I'd say it won't happen, except if:

(a) Bertlesmann/RTL bid for an ITV company:
    (b) win
    (c) Then have to sell off C5 as a result of such a bid.

News International or Sky may well be in a position to pick up C5, in such circumstances. Might not make a difference though, it depends on whether C5 was merged into Sky's management structure or kept independent.

Appearing on Backchat is a very positive indication.
    Sky as a facilitator could speed up the arrival of these channels if they want to.
    Their arrival is inevitable in my opinion-just a question of time-probably co-inciding with or near enough to RTÉ's arrival in the North.

Don't expect to get too much helpfull info from Mr Deering on the subject as clearly he's not pushing to have them on.
    The helpfull info may come from Orla up at UTV or indeed from RTÉ regarding how they are getting on with the NI EPG.
    mm

byte

Is that just a general hope, Irishbyte, or have you heard something more concrete? Or am I reading too much into it? ;)

Sorry to disappoint, Genghis, but you are reading too much into it! I just do hope to be able to view C4 soon as it's the channel I want more than UTV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 teddy2002

I called Sky this evening and ask when Channel 4 and UTV would be made available. The operator told me that they'll be available after the World Cup in his own opinion.
    Hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

let's hope he wasn't talking rubbish to get you off the line. did he mention how long after the World Cup

let's hope he wasn't talking rubbish to get you off the line. did he mention how long after the World Cup

He just said soon after the World Cup.

Hmmm that Sky operator....:rolleyes:
    Did you get his name...?
    I want to stay young and live forever-perhaps he's hopefull of that too??
    mm

Normally when you ring Sky on these matters, they usually say they have no information on a particular matter and thats it. If they are positive ,like in this case, I think it means something is about to happen relatively soon. I might give Orla McKibbin (UTV press officer) a call Monday and see if she sounds more positive than she was the last time I spoke to her, about 6 weeks ago.

byte

Good idea Robert. Will give her a yell meself too. Might give ViewerR@bskyb.com a go also

Did you get his name...?
    He did tell me his name but I forget now. Sorry.

Spoke to Orla Mc Kibbin(UTV press officer) this pm, - she has no news about anything going to happen, I felt she was a bit negative about the whole issue, She also said she would'nt necessary know untill it was about to happen, ie , She would be given very short notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Sky Digi Kid

I am also in Waterford City right now and was told 2 years ago by NTL that the package they announced (TV and Web on the same cable, flat rate unmetered, in the summer of 2000) was going to be available in the first week of august 2000 where I lived. However, when I rang back 2 weeks later to check the status, I was told bluntly that they knew nothing about it.

Strange policies abound in NTL Waterford.

Originally posted by Quigs Snr
    Sky Digi Kid

I am also in Waterford City right now and was told 2 years ago by NTL that the package they announced (TV and Web on the same cable, flat rate unmetered, in the summer of 2000) was going to be available in the first week of august 2000 where I lived. However, when I rang back 2 weeks later to check the status, I was told bluntly that they knew nothing about it.

Strange policies abound in NTL Waterford.
    Oh like Chorus, they promise the world, to keep Ethain Doyle happy-but she does nothing about broken promises.
    mm

byte

Thank you for your e-mail.

Our position remains as before - we are continuing to work with the ITV Network to make UTV available on satellite as quickly as possible in the South.

Not giving anything away, if anything...

• Advertisement

Well at least they are still working at it, and they are NOT saying it cant be done. Let see what happens during the summer(thats if we ever get one!!)

That is the same statement they released on the 20th of Feb.
    so they must not be working very hard on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Why don't they stick UTV on in the 900's in the ROI (like the overlapping ITV regions in the UK), and put TV3 in 900's in Northern Ireland ?

It might keep Granada happy in the south and UTV happy in the north, while still giving all Irish viewers the extra channel choice.

Advertisement