Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q: How can you tell if a modem is a hardware modem?

Options
  • 13-04-2002 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

Question is contained in the subject really.

GF wants to get another modem for their home (last one got fried)
    (last one was a good 3com modem)

The machine is only a p166 so I don't want to get anything that will slow down the machine/use the processor etc

And cheap is a priority. Looking at that Trust v92 serial modem (I know v92 may never be supported here but just in case it is might benefit them - they're out in the sticks so will never have BB) or the Mr Modem internal affair. Can't tell if either or both is a hardware modem though.

So....
    How can you tell if a modem is a hardware modem?
    (I'm assuming that's the relevant question and that being a hardware modem is what keeps the processing away from the CPU - feel free to correct if I'm talking rubbish)

(thanks - help, advice much appreciated)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

all i can say on the matter is i would recommend the Trust V92 External Serial modem

works great, i ran with an old USRobotics Ext 33.6 for ages till i took the plunge, now im up to 44.4 all the time. in the sticks no less

v92 doesnt exist in ireland, even tho PCLive said that it did. damn ISP's

but it still works great regardless. check out the minumum requirements and ur set

DIGILOG cork for good price ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

Mr modem are usually software

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

SupraMax 56i Pro €80 in Pcworld prolly find it cheaper .
    if on the box it has HCF and Data and Error compression at v.42 its a hardware modem.
    Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

"if on the box it has HCF .... its a hardware modem"

i think this is wrong.
    i am nearly 100% positive that hcf means "host control frequency" and that host control frequency means "the cpu does all the work"

i have had softmodems that said HCF.

if an internal modem says softmodem, if it says winmodem, if it says HCF, if it uses a motorola chipset or if it costs sod all, it's more than likely a cpu hogging software modem.

ALL external modems are hardware modems.

as for recommending modems, diamond external modems are very good. go for the cheapest external serial modem that you can find. more than likely , any internal modem you buy nowadays is gonna be a softmodem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sorry your correct i dug out my box:(
    .Mine is the Supramax k56flex Rockwell technology Hardware modem .

Kdja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thanks for the info guys - much appreciated

Gone Shootin' - may be in Cork tomorrow, if so I'll pop into Digilog (thanks for that) - Washington Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I've an ISA Mr Modem and it's hardware. Surprisingly good modem actually, considering the dodgy-looking packaging ;)

Advertisement