Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAX DATA Artist CELLERON 500mhz. (read this if you got one)

• 13-04-2002 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Dont know if this is the right place to post this or not......... but........... if you have a Max Data Celleron 500/450 be very worried.

my names mike... im a computer tech, in the midlands.
    Xmass 2000. The system went on sale........ not sure the retail price..... the ESB sold a SHT load of them, and im sure lots of comp companys did too............ any cutting to the point.

after approx 18 months, motherboard failure.......... this is no coincedence........... i've repaired in excess of 30 this year (thats alot for one brand, and thats a hell of alot for one model....... now none of these are under warranty, so the customer has no come back............. I called up max data's hq in ireland (PSRA - Wicklow) they say "nah we dont see any problem with that model"

i called up "Max Data - Uk" they said that "Ireland in general has a very unstable power supply, and these motherboards are very suseptable to power surges"

That doesnt really sound very fair to me.

they recommended getting a surge supressor............ and i guess thats what i reccommend too............ however.. more strongly i reccomend not buying a max data system........

(more recently P3 650's have started coming back "intermittantly powering up" )

Please tell me if you have ever heard of anything like this in max data artist celleron 450/500 mhz.

thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Sound familiar i built a system their based on a p3 833 about six months ago i throughly bench tested it at our base and had no problems installed the system (NT os) and it worked grand for awhile.Then a one of the workers download a bunch of stuff screen savers and the like and the machine just used to turn its self off for no apparent reason and it would take reseting the bios to restart it.I totaly cleaned out the added software and all was grand didnt hear anything for about 5 months.Got a call saying the system was playing up went there it fired up first time no problem now i dont know if its the fact the reset button is identical to the power switch on this particular case and coming in half asleep they hit the wrong button i dont know or wether its an itermittent problem with the cpu/motherboard the problem is it never does it when im present.If anyone know of a similar problem please let me know coz its driving me nuts.Motherboard was a jetway 695 and a p3 833 power suply is 300w.

Stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Got my hands on the exact same PC recently (500mhz) the exact same prob and i sorted it out in 20 mins. Heres what i done(i`m not sure which single thing sorted it out)

1.Reseated CPU and all cards+RAM( just took them out and put them back in)

2. Removed Bios 3v battery and tried to boot

3. Toggled the i/o switch on the back of the Power Supply and pressed the on button on front of the case

4. That got the the PC starting but with no Bios battery so......

5. Replaced bios battery witha spare one i had lying around and replaced Power Supply(as i initially thoght this was the prob)

Everything is running grand now.

If you cant boot keep trying this, remove CPU then insert in back in, and power up.

Hope this helps as the PC is a nice little machine, altho limited(overclocked to 550mhz no prob)

Advertisement