Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Queen of the Damned.

• 13-04-2002 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I'm just after seeing this film today, so I thought I might as well plop a bit of a review up.

This film is sheer BLASPHEMOUS!!!

First of all, Stuart Townsend should be dragged into the streets and SHOT!
    I'm ****ing glad this excuse for an actor never got to screw up on so many levels on Lord Of The Rings.
    And if the film makers had any sense, they would have kicked him out of this production too.

Was he actualy that terrible?
    No, but he played a massive part in completely and utterly ****ING UP one of the best literary characters of recent years. Of course, blame where blame is deserved, he didn't have too much to work with seeing as the ****ing script is sheer idiocy.

What the hell is my problem?

LESTAT ISN'T IN THIS FILM!!!

Sure, they have his name on some idiot.
    But I wanna know; What the **** have they done with The Brat Prince of The Undead!?!?
    Where the hell is the twisted **** who had a love affair with his own mother!?
    Well I can tell you, he damn well isn't in the film!!!

Ok, so what (or who) exactly are we left with in this film?
    Seeing that I can't stress enough that Lestat isn't in it...

What we have here, ladies and gentlemen, is what seems to be a failed attempt to cross Lious with Eric Draven, and paste Lestat's good name on for a bit of credibility.

So basically that means that we have conflicting parts of the character.
    At one moment he's fawning over the "Oh, I'm so alone, I'm suffering" thing that Lious did so well, and that Brad Pitt played so well, yet Stuart Townsend pulls of with all the charm of a half hearted "Oh, woe is me."
    But then he just copies Brandon Lee in The Crow (Poorly) for a time.

Ok, so are there any other niggles than the obvious gutting of the main character?
    HELL YES!!!

The special effects are downright TERRIBLE!
    Where in Interview with the Vampire the effects were very subtle, yet quite astounding.
    I mean, just take a look at Claudia's transformation. Pure BRILLIANT.
    But in this woeful SFX fest, the effects themselves are used to terrible means.
    Vampires zipping about the place like The Flash with big gaudy and badly done blur trails?
    It's just bloody ridiculous!

The script... My my my, the script.
    It simply makes NO SENSE!
    It's downright terrible!

If there's EVER another film (Which I doubt there will be, after this sorry state of affairs) PLEASE, put Neil Jordan back in the Director's seat.
    Let Anne Rice do the screenplay again.
    Let Elliot Goldenthal do the music, Jonathan Davis? **** OFF!
    And for god's sake! Put Tom Cruise back in the ****ing role!!!

So what the hell is left of this sham of a film?
    ONE BIG FREAKING MARKETING SCAM BY MTV!!!

That's right!
    It's nothing but pure, pre-packed MT-****in-V in all it's commercial glory!
    Right up there with Dracula 2000!!!

This is a musical romp of the most shamefull order.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭jes

yeah i agree the film sucked a$$

but you have to admit Allyah was quite good in it not to mention pretty hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

so its not good??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

soudns promising
    must see this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I'm frankly surprised that you (angelwhore) thought this film might be good. Maybe you didn't follow the development of this film but they originally just planned a straight to video release. But then Alyia died and they thought people will flock to see her last performance so they gave it a cinema release. And the fact that none of the people involved in the original movie has anything to do with this should've been an indication of what's to come...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No, I didn't really know much about the film's development.
    And certainly didn't know it was going to be a straight to video either.

That would tend to explain the woefull SFX and dreadfull acting.

And just what sort of ropey accent was Townsend trying to do?
    I was under the impression that Lestat was French?
    It was just slipping each and every scene.
    About as bad as Keannu Reaves in Dracula.
    But at least he had a brilliant film, excellent cast, and an all round great production to cover up the fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Well let me piss a few people off with a GOOD review of QotD.

I really quite enjoyed it. I have to say I much preferred it to Interview with a Vampire (which I thought was a pretty awful mess!).

First, I agree with the first reviewer - Stuart Townsend was pretty bad. Townsend put on an awful Transylvanian type accent, pulled straight from a 50s B-movie (wasn't LeStat French? Dunno - haven't read the books).

However, I liked the story. I thought Aaliyah was very good. I thought Marguerite Moreau was really good (she was the Talamasca).

And I thought the special effects were great! The kind of blurred effect when the vampires moved was very stylised. There were some very unsettling montages in the movie (particularly the one where LeStat finds the Queen for the first time). And the Queen's demise was pretty damn spectacular.....

Finally (as I said in the 'Dark Movie Theme' thread), I really liked the soundtrack. The Heavy Metal parts were awful (although they were required from a story point of view - it could have been worse: LeStat could have joined a Boy Band !!). However, the incidental music (which makes up 90% of the music in the movie) was very atmospheric - lots of synths, strings and choirs.... Very creepy.

Anyway... just my 2 cents.... let the flames begin!

Words cannot put life to the pure feeling of disgust thats coursing through me at this moment.
    It's like a beam of utter TROLLness that is going straight to my cranium, and eminating from TmB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by TmB
    However, I liked the story. I thought Aaliyah was very good.

I don't do trolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

That's why I never go and see a film whose book I enjoyed/loved. That's why I refused to go and see LOTR, eventough loads of people have argued that it wasn't too bad, and other said it was very good.

When you read something, you make a film in your own head, and you're imagination will always get the best actors, without any worry for a budget or benefits and returns...

I thought for half a second that well, yes, I might try it... And then I said no, no way...

Another massacre of a good book... Ah well, let's hope that those who have not seen the film will find it good enough to buy the book, and feed A. Rice long enough for her to produce other good novels, because the last few I read were seriously losing quality...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

/me injects Angel with a sedative

There there kid.....it's OK. Life goes on y'know......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Originally posted by AngelWhore

Words cannot put life to the pure feeling of disgust thats coursing through me at this moment.
    It's like a beam of utter TROLLness that is going straight to my cranium....

Perfectly elaborating how I feel when people say they liked 'Bram Stoker's Dracula', possibly the greatest cheese in all of movie cheesedom :).

There have been very few decent Vampire movies.
    The recent batch have been nothing but recycled tripe (Bram Stoker's..., Carpenter's "Vampires", Dracula 2000 are just a few offenders).
    Lessee, ones I think worth a watch (ie. Flamebait :) ).
    The Hunger (as in the movie not the series, Catherine Deneuve, David Bowie).
    Interview with the Vampire.
    Innocent Blood

Originally posted by _CreeD_

Perfectly elaborating how I feel when people say they liked 'Bram Stoker's Dracula', possibly the greatest cheese in all of movie cheesedom :).

There have been very few decent Vampire movies.
    The recent batch have been nothing but recycled tripe (Bram Stoker's..., Carpenter's "Vampires", Dracula 2000 are just a few offenders).
    Lessee, ones I think worth a watch (ie. Flamebait :) ).
    The Hunger (as in the movie not the series, Catherine Deneuve, David Bowie).
    Interview with the Vampire.
    Innocent Blood

Ah, but cheese can have its apeal.
    And Dracula is one of the most cheesefull subject matters.
    The film was fantastically cast (Except Reaves), with each actor hamming it up in the most over-acted style possible. I mean, who could have asked for a better Van Helsing?

But I disagree completely on the idea that Innocent Blood is good.

If you're looking for an interesting recent Vampire film, check out The Addiction with Chistopher Walken. Rather arthouse film. It was actualy on TV not so long ago.

Another great one was Near Dark.
    Although that was from the 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Forgot The Addiction, yup damn good movie.

I was never crazy about Near Dark, not that there's anything bad about it, it just didn't click with me.

Innocent blood was fun. A B-movie definitely, but worth a watch nonetheless.

I didn't really like Innocent Blood.
    Jamming the Mafia and Vampires together just didn't seem to work.

Near Dark's Vampire/Western aproach worked great I thought.
    As far as B-Movies go, the scene where Bill Paxton jumps onto the bar and slits the barman's throat with his spurs is a classic. Apart from the ending, very good film.

Advertisement