Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modems

• 13-04-2002 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

I have an advent Laptop

7240 series

it has a biult in modem of some description

my "friend" formatted the HD thinking he was doing me a favour, when he restored the system the modem is there and it picks up the phone line 2 seconds later drops it, and tells me there is no dialling tone......

can anyone help?

ps went to both currys and #PC world, pc world told me to go to some web site which i did, no joy, and Currys told me the make of advent i had doesnt exist, so i brought it up to them and they said oh we didnt know we made that model!!! she even printed me up a list of all the model numbers and mine wasnt on it.....!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

In control panel go into modems then highlight your modem and click properties. Click the connection tab and then click advanced. In the "Extra settings" section, put in X0 (zero, not o), then hit ok and try connecting again.

One of two things will happen.
    1) your modem will dial anyway, but not get connected
    2) your modem will dial anyway and get connected.

If the former is the case, post back and let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭fi

OK well i did that thismorning and it picks up the phone line and seems to be dialing, from looking at the caller display not from the sound!!!

but it then hangs the laptop and i have to reboot, when i switch on the phone to hear what is happening the line is dead no noise atall

i have ME on that laptop.

thaNKYOU for your help, im about ready to kick it!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by fi
    they said oh we didnt know we made that model!!! she even printed me up a list of all the model numbers and mine wasnt on it.....!!!!

Further proof that there is nobody with any clue working in those big pc places.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭fi

Originally posted by phaxx

Further proof that there is nobody with any clue working in those big pc places.

oh well, when i went to pc world to buy my printer i asked teh guy for a bottom load printer... he looked at me blankly and asked what i meant, i asked him to get someone who knew something about printers... so anotehr guy came to me, i told him i was interested in the Zeror printer as it was a botom loader, he told me it wasnt and shwed me a back part where the paper loaded from i told him this was for doing just one page and it actually loaded from the bottom...

i had to open the manual to prove it to him, i could walk rings around them and i dont know too much but god its more then thoese, they really frustrate me, why cant they be trained?

Advertisement