Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom wasting more money that could be better spent elsewhere!

Options
  • 13-04-2002 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

I was just listening to the radio a few minutes ago and what comes on after the 2 o' clock news:

"2FM sport, sponsored by Eircom. Sponsors of the Irish World Cup squad!" (or something like that!).

As soon as I heard this I was livid. Is it just me or does anybody else think that Eircom could, and should, cut back on all it's sponsorship deals such as the Irish football team, the 2FM sport, the weather on TV, etc. and use the millions it is spending in advertising revenue to provide the country with a better telecomms infrastructure, provide cheaper ADSL to the customer and give us flat-rate access?

It just seems a waste of money to me. Money which could be much better spent elsewhere. I mean, what is with all these sponsorship deals anyway? Are they not getting enough exposure as it is? After all, everybody in the country already knows about Eircom and knows they are the biggest teleco in the country so why keep going on about it?

Am I being naive here or do I have a point?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Aidan,

Can I refer you to my reply on the thread - France Telecom reduces prices - accross the board, and ask for your support/or comments on my views!.

Thanks, paddy20;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Aidan,
    While your right about a lack of investment, the point about sponsorship is wrong. Eircom is a company like any other and have to promote their products and services. They also have to promote their image in the marketplace. So I don't think Eircom are choosing to sponsor the World Cup squad instead of introducing DSL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Unfortunately Aidan, the Eircom-FAI deal is done and dusted, and there can be no "cutting back" on it. They signed a contract to sponsor the National (Premier) League and the National Team for $n years, and they can't just pull out of it now. So they have to leverage their investment now. Sadly, they didn't see fit to promote the National League during the year, it doesn't appear to have been worth the coupld of quid it would have cost to add a bye-line (much like the World Cup one) to their advertisements.

The amount of advertising Eircom does frankly drives me insane. Not because they're advertising per se, because they have every right to do so, but because a good portion of the money would have been better spent on their network, on initiating and managing redundancies[1], on building a reputation through /customer service/ and not the faux caring attitude we're presented with every day. It's so hypocritical it's astounding.

Oops, that was a rant, wasn't it? Dusty's gonna tear me a new one.

adam

[1] Sorry Eircom peeps, but you know as well as I do that Eircom is grossly overemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Eircom can do what they want with their own money. They're a big private company now. They still get some grants for the government, don't they ? Regional broadband funds and so forth ?

Stupid government.

Advertisement