Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An annoying proble

• 13-04-2002 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭

Whenever i delete about a gig my explorer crashes and i gotta hit end task and hope it restarts itself.

any one have an idea how to fix this?
    am using win98se and im not too sure what the harddrive is :(

any one got ne ideas ? thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

get win2k or XP.... seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

It seems to be a problem with win98 and 95 - I've encountered it many many times. The easiest way to get round it is to delete the files from an MS-DOS box, rather than in windows explorer. The files seem to be deleted quicker, and explorer doesn't stall.

NB: Explorer doesn't crash out totally - if you leave it for a few minutes, it'll normally recover.

Best fix is still to install an NT-based version of windows though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

right
    ive heard bad things about w2k tho

ive got a copy of it here.
    Considering i use this pc just for gaming and music ppl told me to sick with 98se. Should i install w2k then? or try to get my hands on a copy of XP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Oh god yes, ditch 98 as soon as possible. Use 2000 - it's the only microsoft product I've ever been able to say a good thing about. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Win2k is Ms' best OS methinks.
    Fine for gaming, more stable for just about everything. And music? Do you mean composition or playback? Playback is identical to Win9x/Xp, and for composition it's actually better (once you sort any driver/application compatibily issues, which are vendor related in any case) - providing better memory management, process prioritising and those nice efficient WDM drivers.
    I use mine for games/music pretty extensively and installing Win2k is possibly the single best upgrade I made to the machine in the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Any driver problems with win2k are well worth working through, because the end result is a stable machine, which can handle multitasking and doesn't crash. For gaming, new games will run faster on win2k. 99% of old games are fine on it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Another thing to mention on this: Microsoft have application compatability software that gets some things that don't work in 2000 (but did in 95/98/ME) working fine. I got 3DMark99 working, for example, by ticking a checkbox and selecting a setting. That's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

right cheers folks, ill upgrade it soon so :D

Advertisement