Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband through your power socket..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭[SG]BGA

Just a few facts garnered from one of the websites in case any of you are too lazy to click smile.gif

Power Line Communication (PLC)
    Speed: Today 3 Mbit, between 1 and 10 depending on the choice of provider.
    Future potential is 100 Mbit to 1 Gbit.

Advantages: An already existing network.
    Disadvantages: The costs are not determined yet.
    Internet from the power point: Several systems are now being tested worldwide. They will make it possible to transmit high-speed data through the electrical network the final hundred meters from the fibre optic cable network to the villa households.

Fibre optic cable network
    Transmits the digital light signals at a high speed in both directions. Here attempts are made to use the electrical network.

Transformator
    A PLC-modem with the capacity of 3 Mbit per second is here. Somewhere between 20 to 30 households for each modem.

Local electrical networks
    Distances weaken the digital signal. The technique can cope with up to 350 meters, which takes care of 90 per cent of the households.

Electrical power points
    It should be possible to send and receive data to and from household computers, and also to and from Internet, from every power point.

Electrical modems
    The modem has the size of an electrical plug. In the future, it will also become possible to connect the telephone onto the power point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

just forget it for ireland
    the esb power grid is in worse condition then eircoms lines. even cablelinks network
    is better.
    the problem is cowboy builders in house, power box installed half asses and so on,
    ive been in some place were i just dont know why they hadnt burnt down allready.
    it would coast billions apon billions to do it so forget it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

You're a real 'glass is half empty' kind of guy, aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

think this was scrapped about 2 years ago when they said power lines would have too much interference, itd probably be cheaper to just lay cable in most areas
    i could be wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

You are correct Koopa, a trail was done near Newcastle Upon Tyne as far as I remember. They are still working on it in the states and a couple of other places, but as yet, they are not satisfied with the results.

One other thing, Joe22, do you do anything other than complain?

• Advertisement

Leverz, no sorry,
    listen i jsut putting this thought out of everybodies mind,
    some poor spa woll read it and think he will have a i gig connection by 2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Joe, use a ****ing spell checker.

gerry bite me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Joe, read this and take it seriously...

oh and- yeah... I remember NorWeb in the UK doing trials of a similar service a few years ago, but the result of the trials were that it wasn't viable over the power lines as there was far too much interferance.

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:
    gerry bite me</font>

Wow, you spelled a whole post correctly. Next work on your punctuation and grammar. Look at the link Bard posted also.

• Advertisement

Gerry- you might look at this one and take it easy on the 'telling people off for bad spelling' stuff..., eh?

Bard

Bard, I have no problem with dyslexia, I know quite a few dyslexic people. But I think the main reason for joe's bad spelling is he rushes his posts. There is a spell check button after all. And spelling mistakes is not really the problem, it's the content of the posts, i.e. even if you spell most of the words in a post wrong, it might still make sense.

Fair enough - I've no problem with that- just thought I'd point it out just in case smile.gif

Bard

bard ive not intention of listening to the crap in that topic, i saw it and hadnt clicked it.
    i dont really give a damn what people on the net think of me,
    some love me (even with the bad spelling) some hate me, most just except me.

as for gerry i see very little from him only when theres a chance to put someone down, does that make you feel big?

Now i like off topic lets get back on this one.

[This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 08-05-2001).]

To be perfectly honest joe, I have spent a lot of my time recently trying to correct misinformation on this boards. I did this to try and do my bit to break the whole cycle of chinese whispers and misinformation which seems to pervade computing, where people think they know stuff, and tell as many people as they can, becoming sometimes a reference for people who know they themselves haven't a clue. I have pretty much given up on that, because of the volume of posts. It has discouraged me from posting much at all, because it seems to be lost in a sea of bull****.

I don't think I'm always right, I just try and stick to topics where I am reasonably sure what I am saying is right. So I don't jump in on every thread and give my opinion. I appreciate being corrected, thats a good way of learning, and stops me passing on bogus information. And if you aren't here to learn, just to mouth off your opinions, thats a great pity.

As for your whole general attitude towards broadband, if you haven't given up on it, why are you telling others to give up on it?
    You don't seem to have taken on board anyone elses opinions, at least very little of them, even though there have been 20-30 topics recently about esat and broadband.

were exactly have i told anybody to give up on this board,
    i not to sure were i see that, show me the post ill edit it, because it must be a mistake.

as for opinions, well opinions are like asswholes, everybody has one.
    i cant take on all of them, some i say yea i agree otehrs i say total bull****,
    i dont really see why this bothers anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 nitr0s

This has been around since the 1950's believe it or not.Of course many companies would like to see the technology being developed commercially now.If you like the idea of using the power lines for access to the internet, you'll love packet radio.
    Packet radio can get up to 2-34mb's a second.
    Also, there are no phone companies involved, electricity...etc
    No bills, no contracts.But because the technology doesn't include companies, companies refuse to invest in it, why the hell would they invest in somthing that would put them out of business?
    http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/pktf.html

just forget it for ireland
    it would coast billions apon billions to do it so forget it
    </font>

Sounds pretty much like recommending that people give up on the idea to me, Joe...

Bard

bard gerry said i was tell people to give up on the broadband,
    i then asked for the post were i told people to give up on boardband.

what you have is me telling people forget this type of broadband for ireland, were did i say forget broadband 56k forever in that post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Broadband 56K

I love it smile.gif

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Advertisement

you know well i dont mean broadband 56k
    o but you cant read on to other lines

?!
    Wasnt that your point? Or are you just too thick to get your point across? Hmmm?

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

you know well i dont mean broadband 56k
    o but you cant read on to other lines
    </font>

That is the main problem, we dont have a clue what you are on about most of the time, for that matter, we know you dont have a clue about it either.

Leverz enlighten me would you o brainy one
    or shut your ****ing mouth, your the one without the clue so shut up allready
    as for Moriarty as soon as every word out of your mouth isnt total bull**** talk to me, untill then **** off into that cornor were the rest of the sad lonely people go

what you have is me telling people forget this type of broadband for ireland, were did i say forget broadband 56k forever in that post.
    </font>

Presuming that '56k' bit was a typo... what the chuff is the difference between "give up on broadband in Ireland" and "give up on broadband forever" for an Internet user IN IRELAND?

Muppet!

Bard

as for Moriarty as soon as every word out of your mouth isnt total bull**** talk to me, untill then **** off into that cornor were the rest of the sad lonely people go</font>

touchè

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

probably right, i need a break from all this adsl crap, see you in about a week

probably right, i need a break from all this adsl crap, see you in about a week</font>

Thank **** smile.gif
    Dont hurry bcak now, y'hear?

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

now your typing is getting like mine,
    i know you love me, but your not my type

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

well done lads.

topic closed due to muppetry.

sorry to [SG]BGA, Koopa and Bard who did offer some sort of conversation about the topic in hand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement