Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL or Flat-Rate 56k?

Options
  • 13-04-2002 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

a lot of speculation is floating around about DSL coming out soon, although I try not to beleive it, I cant help but be a little hopeful..

anyhow, Since the loop has been unbundled, do you think flat-rate 56k would appear before DSL, or after it?

and one last thing... Which service would you use?

1: Low-End (512/128/3GB for €89 a month ex-vat)
    2: Mid-Range (1Meg/256/6GB for €139 a month ex-vat)
    3: High-End (1Meg/256/Uncapped for €169 a month ex-vat)
    4: Flat-Rate 56K (3.6/1.4/Uncapped for €20 - €40 a month inc-vat)

Sorry for not posting it as a poll, either I cant find the friggen button or they removed the option..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

I cant believe how many people around here speculate and jump to the wrong conclusions. The local loop being unbundled has nothing what so ever to do with flat rate, or ADSL for that matter. As neither service is likely to be provided over an unbundled line.

Full llu is strictly for high end connections, the like of hdsl and sdsl. It is far to expensive to provide ADSL or basic phone services over a fully unbundled line. Bitstream is mostly for ADSL, and is what there is current disputes about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Tizlox,

Personally, Number 4:- Flat - Rate 56K Uncapped, at Euros 20 inc VAT a month would be acceptable/affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

Flat rate ISDN .... thats what i want :)

hence my latest internet bill:

ISDN BASIC RATE/HI-SPEED PREMISES UNIT SIEMENS NT1

ISDN HI SPEED MAIN CONNECTION RESIDENTIAL

ISDN BASIC RATE-CALL FORWARDED

ISDN BASIC RATE CALL HOLD

ISDN 3 PARTY SERVICE AND CALL HOLD

Billing frequency Bi-monthly
    Last bill date 09-04-2002
    Last bill amount 436.94
    Total payments/Adjustment 0.00
    Current balance outstanding 344.12

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

anyhow, Since the loop has been unbundled, do you think flat-rate 56k would appear before DSL, or after it?

As Felix points out, LLU will have very little bearing on the release of SME or consumer products, at least in the short term. There's a lot of work to be done proving commercial viability and the like. Ireland could well be a leader in the international marktplace in this regard.

and one last thing... Which service would you use?

Since flat-rate isn't an option currently, and therefore not worthy of discussion, I will most likely be going the whole hog and taking the high-end uncapped service, if it becomes available in my area within a reasonable amount of time.

Sorry for not posting it as a poll, either I cant find the friggen button or they removed the option..

One of my last actions as mod was to ask DeVore to remove the polls option from this board, because there was a lot of spurious sh1te polls being posted. I'm sure Dustaz would be happy to post a poll on your behalf, but if he does he should remove the flat-rate option, as it is simply not on the cards at the moment.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

The Mid -Range for me if they can sort out the pings issue a bit :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Hmm.
    At those prices i think most people would plump for the solo option tbh. Ive only seen one person saying they would go for the higher option.

I think the more interesting poll is which would people pay for - Current i-stream solo or FlatRate 56k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

High speed can wait, I want cheap 56k and now!

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

DSL can wait, 56K needs to be sorted out first.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement