Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL or Flatrate?

Options
  • 13-04-2002 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

before im jumped on about FRIACO being a nessecity for the development of broadband, I just think this is an interesting poll to see what demographic we have on the forum :)

So, if both were available (and atm, neither are) which would you pay for?

Which would you pay for if both were available 23 votes

I-stream solo DSL (512/128/3GB for €89 a month ex-vat)
    0% 0 votes
    Flat-Rate 56K (3.6/1.4/Uncapped for €20 - €40 a month inc-vat)
    100% 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

DSL here is simply ridiculous. Eircom (again) went WAY over the top with their pricing. I simply havnt got €110 to be splashing out on hi speed, PLUS an extra 3c for meg. Crazy....

So although i dont particularly want no-limit 56k access, as I have no intention of paying for dsl*, i would probably go with the dial-up.

*@ said price

€70 inc vat & without a cap, i would consider expensive...
    but i would pay it. (still over double the price it is everywhere else....)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

Flat-Rate 56k.
    Can be accessed and running within two months of today.
    DSL requires more systems and more money to put in place.

babysteps people, babysteps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I believe the oppostie is the case Arboration

[I stand corrected here...]
    In terms of offering DSL to Dublin, the fibre and exchanges are all systems go- howver to introduce FRIACO there would be the need to upgrade some areas of the exchanges to cope with increased capacity over the PSTN. Obviously this differs slightly outside of Dublin

Oh and BTW, I voted for Flatrate 56k.
    "Surf No limits" did / does / would suit me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

"originally posted by tizlox" :p:p

Defintly flat-rate 56k.. that can be given to everybody at the flick of a switch, and will calm a lot of people down...I mean, I'd be pretty angry to have 56k with bills of €200 when im taking it easy, where some other guy at a lucky end of the country has a €200 bill for having uncapped DSL at high speeds, going on whenever he wants..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Well thank God,

Maybe I am not totally insane after all. I have been crying out in to what seemed like a wilderness of techies with their own agendas.

Now I have got to vote yes to my need for a basic flat-rate internet access service that I may be able too afford.

Wonderful, democracy wins flat-out. Let the people vote!.

Yours. paddy20, :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I voted for flat rate 56k. Id much prefer to have xDSL, but im not forking out that sort of money for such a crippled service.

You'd have allot more votes from my friends if we actually had Flat-rate 56k.
    Allot of my mates originally had IOL-NoLimits, but were arsed up by Esats : "Random Phone Bill posting."
    &
    "Extra charges which were NOT mentioned in the contract."

My Mate Rob completely stays OFF-LINE until something is done, it's his way of giving Eircom the finger.
    He also changed the station on the TV whenever he sees the Eircom adds. Likes to give the finger to passing Eircom vans.
    I think one time the guy actually stopped and bitched Rob out, sufficed to say he gave that little Eircon-Ant a piece of his mind.
    He also rang Eircom and asked for a person with a managerial position. He was bitchy about the fact that they failed to provide the flat-rate service. The Manager then replied with. "Doesn't that other company supply Flat-Rate access?" - He then informed them of just how ignorant to the world around them they are, as far as not even knowing there leading competitions name; Esat.

Never the less, Flat-Rate 56k is so easy to establish, and I don't think it'd cost that much money from the millions that Eircon make a year.
    Perhaps if they released the service and advertised it' The public might take more interest in it, rather than being kept in the dark.

-Arboration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

That poll is unfair, no?

DSL shown at an inflated price...
    Flat rate shown at a price which is in-line in Europe (which we just will not get)

That poll is unfair, no?

DSL shown at an inflated price...
    Flat rate shown at a price which is in-line in Europe (which we just will not get)

Stfu :P

No :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by NoelRock
    That poll is unfair, no?

Highly. Moreover, I'm surprised it came from Dustaz :)

DSL and FRIACO are going to mean different thigns to different people, and to ask everyone which is more important is, honestly, like asking whether or not you want a tank or a ferrari (personally I'd pick a tank .. more fun to be had :D) given the option.

[edit]
    /me rants

And I'd like to just mention one more thing ...

From day one, we've seen "FRIACO-only" people hammering on about how we should be aiming for FRIACO and that Broadband can wait, etc etc.

Guys ... IrelandOffline is after BOTH FRIACO AND Broadband. Unfortunately at the moment, only Broadband would appear to be on the offering table. As I've said in a previous thread, FRIACO hasn't even poked its head around the corner at us yet.

We're after both. So support both. It's not about cherry-picking and then saying "I'm alright jack".

Whilst I don't speak for anyone else, I will most certainly be continuing to campaign for FRIACO (assuming broadband is available first and I get it), and I suspect many other members will be to.

/end me rants
    [/edit]

Originally posted by Lemming

Highly. Moreover, I'm surprised it came from Dustaz :)

DSL and FRIACO are going to mean different thigns to different people, and to ask everyone which is more important is, honestly, like asking whether or not you want a tank or a ferrari (personally I'd pick a tank .. more fun to be had :D) given the option.

You're nuts!

You can pull more birds in a Ferrari!

But then again there are more fun levers to pull in a tank...

Oh no...I'm in a brand new predicament...tank or Ferrari :(.

But back to the issue in hand, we need ADSL. ADSL can basically do everything flat-rate can, doesn't take up your phone line, and gives the speed that you need to conduct proper business online. I fail to see the argument really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Right lads,
    keep it OT

Noel is right,
    there is a bias in the propostiton but then again it is only relective of what "may" happen- If the q. was DSL vs Flatrate then it would be no contest-

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Obviously the question is biased, since neither products are available yet.

The dsl price is the likely price. The friaco price is one that was plucked out of thin air. A poll on this forum means absolutly nothing in the greater scheme of things, something that some people need to understand :)

Im absolutly in agreement with Lemming. We need BOTH very very badly in Ireland.

BTW, i still voted for the DSL. Im willing to live in debt and pay the extortionate price that eircom are going to charge just so i dont have to return to 56k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Listen folks,

Nothing in life is simple if you decide too make it complicated.

The above is only a poll. So vote and let the result speak.

Paddy20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I'd be happy with flat rate because about all I do on the Internet is send and receive email and do the occasional research into topics. I never play interactive games on the Internet (or anywhere else). When I had NoLimits, it was bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

i can never go back to anything less then isdn so i voted for i-stream even tho it's a pile of pantys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b4k4^2

The way i figure is, get:
    4 mates who live beside you.
    Xm of cat5
    a switch/hub
    some old machine
    i-stream enchance (the 1mb|256k, uncapped, €200 a month one)
    and split the cost 4 ways.
    Afetr hardware cost and installation it'd be €50 a month for at worst 25k/s and best 100k/s connection.
    Bon idea, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Originally posted by Lemming

DSL and FRIACO are going to mean different thigns to different people, and to ask everyone which is more important is, honestly, like asking whether or not you want a tank or a ferrari

He didnt ask which is more important! He asked which would you pay for :) The way I understood the pole, "Would you pay this farcical price for dsl, or would u pay a standard/slightly above standard price for no-limit56k?"

I dont particularly want no-limit 56k (as i said earlier), but i would prefer to see it offered, rather then this dsl option which i simply couldnt afford!
    Guys ... IrelandOffline is after BOTH FRIACO AND Broadband. Unfortunately at the moment, only Broadband would appear to be on the offering table. As I've said in a previous thread, FRIACO hasn't even poked its head around the corner at us yet.

We're after both. So support both. It's not about cherry-picking and then saying "I'm alright jack".

I do support both, but would prefer dsl. Will not pay that for dsl, therefore 56k would do.

But then knowing Eircom, their no limit dial-up would probably be ludicrously priced too......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

i want to know what the hell is the difficulty with flat rate 56k, and why the hell is the issue of flat rate isdn any different.
    eircom want to make isdn seem a thing apart from the sh!te that is dial-up internet access, as they want to push it as broadband. everywhere else ever has flat rate isdn. why are the people buying into this eircom marketeering?(i.e this poll)

flat rate dial up access, INCLUDING isdn, is what i'm after.
    tbh, i couldn't care less about broadband.
    at least until i discover how sh!te isdn apparently is.

i still voted for 56k. 90 quid pm is too much for an eircom crappily run capped adsl service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭212.2.179.66

DSL should be at Flatrate. Anything less is pointless and totally out-dated. E-Hub my ass. We are so used to paying top $ for everything in Ireland. But everything we pay for is BOTTOM/Cast off's compared to the rest of Europe. So what makes us different?
    We accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Like Arborations friend, i used to be on no-limits, got isdn for 6 months, then got rid of it, i am offline from home and online from work only.

There is no way on this planet or any other planet i will pay €106 per month and connection fees/adsl modem cost of approaching €300 for such a sub-standard service.
    I am willing to wait as long as it takes(4 months now no net bills!) for either flat-rate 56k/isdn/dsl/cable to come out which is sub €50/month like everyone else in europe has.
    As the poll says, 56k at sub €40 per month is a hell lot attractive than getting robbed for dsl which is above all capped.
    In my opinion price dictates which option i choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I haave the IOL noLimits and i must say i would like DSL better. Its annoying (like at the moment) when i only connect at 28K...even after 3 attempts.

There are far to many advantages of having a high-speed always-on connection to want flat rate 56K. Its just the price isint right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Of course there are too many advantages!

However, not everyone is going to be able to avail of (A)DSL. Unfortunately, we don't all live within a radius of 4-5km of an exchange.

However, I have to say that if I was within 5km of an exchange and (A)DSL was available, as was flatrate 56k at the prices suggested in the poll, I'd forgo the speed in favour of saving money. Based on my current bills, (A)DSL would cost me twice as much. I would be paying, for one month, what my current system costs me for 2 months.

The proposed cost of (A)DSL and the lack of a flatrate option is an absolute disgrace! Eircom should be embarrassed to call itself a telecommunication company. It's doing its absolute utmost to LIMIT the communication options available in Ireland.

BTW, I voted for the Flatrate option!:D

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Winters
    I haave the IOL noLimits and i must say i would like DSL better. Its annoying (like at the moment) when i only connect at 28K...even after 3 attempts.
    Trouble is with a line that crap you may not be able to get DSL. You might get lucky though. Crap dialup performance doesn't always preclude DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I went for 56k flat-rate. I'm not paying €90 for a limited product, no matter how much faster than 56k it is. On a side-note, I'd be tempted my IDSN if it was flat-rate. I don't care how much the rental and installation have been lowered (unless it's cheaper than the phone line), it's still cheaper staying on the humble 56k modem and phoe line.

Advertisement