Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Drummer ever ????

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭binman

Igor Cavalera.
    He MAKES sepulturas songs listenable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

i always thought that John Bonhom was the best drummer, but not anymore.

Bill Ward of Black Sabbath and Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden.
    Bill Ward was a blues drummer playing with a metal band. if you want crazy beats and mental patterns he is your man. Nicko is the man for speed, lightning fills and breakneck rhythm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Travis Barker is pretty danm good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Hard to pin it down to just one

Heres a few ide rate worthy

Vinnie Colaiuta (Zappa, and many others)
    Steve Gadd (Session drummer, hes on over 600 albums from Clapton to Sinatra)
    Terry Bozzio (Zappa and Others)
    Jeff Pocaro (Toto)
    Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)
    Buddy Rich (Probably the top of list really, the man was amazing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Apart from the obvious jazz and session luminaries who rarely get the recognition they deserve, I would urge you all to listen to the drumming of a guy called

Sean Reinert

particularily his work on the CYNIC album, Focus. Have a look on Kazaa for any of the following songs -

Veil Of Maya
    Celestial Voyage
    The Eagle Nature
    Sentiment
    I'm But A Wave To...
    Uroboric Forms
    Textures
    How Could I

Now this guy can play drums! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trent_derby

I also forgot the late great buddy rich, the man was a legend.
    And although i dont really like their music oscar harrison from ocean colour scene is a beast!, and for technicality i would go with radioheads and the drummer from the police, steve copeland i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Sean Reinert
    Danny Carey
    Mike Portnoy
    Jimmy Chamberlain
    Buddy Rich

Fin. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

yup dave lombardo gets my vote hes amazing on drums

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

- I'm not a drummer but he're a few I like(apart from the obvious candidates). I know there are more technical players like Castronovo and Bozzio but arse to that;

- Dave Lombardo; I listen to v little metal but great drummer, the drum sound on the song Seasons in the Abyss is perfect metal.

- Eric Singer; yes he was in Kiss, I know but I never heard any
    of that crap. his drumming on devil's Stomp by Badlands is
    amazing.

- I always thought the 1st drummer in Therapy had an original sound, I forget his name.

Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Actually I change mine to Jim white, amazing drummer, I've seen him play with three different acts and he was stand out each time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Lombardo or Ulrich

And for the person who thinks Ulrich can't hack it anymore: are you mad
    Maybe his not as fast but hey we all get old, his put together some complicated beats that a lot of the mentioned above would struggle to get to grips with. Give him respect where its due

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

LOL ulrich is nowhere near the best he is good drummer but nothin special but fair play to him for stil goin strong like at age of 40 r watever he is now he is gettin a bit sluggish now tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trent_derby

If you ever want to hear quite possibly the best drumming ever created you should try to look up an old album or mp3 file called buddy rich/gene krupa the drum battle, its class!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

Duracell Bunny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭colincarnate

Charlie Benante

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Jan Axel Von Blomberg aka. Hellhammer (Mayhem), Pete Sandoval (Morbid Angel) or Vitek (Decapitated).

winds_janaxel.jpg
    Hellhammer
    11z.jpg
    Vitek
    ps7.jpg
    Pete Sandoval

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Trust me - check out Sean Reinert, he played on Death's Human album.

When I saw them play in McGonagles on the Human tour, he came out and warmed up for a few minutes before Death's set.

It was the most impressive thing I've ever seen. Ever. :D

I got one of his sticks after the gig. Then, on my way home, was accosted by a gang of scumbags looking to steal my jacket. My first thought was of Sean Reinert's stick, sitting in my jacket pocket.
    pic_seanr2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭alexbrowne40

Jimmy Chamberlin

Funny, I completely overlookd HellHammer, he is one hell of a beast! My eyes have only recently been opened to Sean Reinert (:rolleyes:) but I can safely say.... "hummanna hummana schlurp boing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Jimmy Chamberlin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

1. Danny Carey from Tool.

2. Peter Krupa.

Carey is just f*cking amazing though. Learning Tool songs has made me cry with frustration so many times!

Check out his kit !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think Hellhammer really does have to be the top of my list.

Granted, he's probably THE best metal drummer alive.
    But the thing that makes him a cut above everyone else is the fact that he's one of the most experimental and progressive drummers out there at the moment. Sure, listening to him blast away is always great, but listening to his truly intricate and interesting work is always going to be the best experience. Just listen to the latest Arcturus album, he's phenominal!

The fact that he plays with Jazz bands and everything just goes to show how versatile he is also.

In all of this (and I know I'm throwing around a fair few names too!) let us not forget Martin Lopez. Amazing drummer. And his live showings are just trouser-creamingly beautiful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yes, Martin Lopez is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭crowbar188

what about mario lopez?.... the guy who played a.c. slater in saved by the bell. ever see that episode with the talent competition and he plays the drums in it??? ****in classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

LOL
    that episode was UTTER CHEESE!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Bonzo

I would have to go with John Bonham too..:D
    Check out The Royal Albert Hall perfomance on the new DVD!
    Keith Moon,Ginger Baker,Mitch Mitchell and Buddy Miles also rock.
    As for all the jazz greats,well I need to check them out a lot more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

Vinnie Colaiuta (Zappa, and many others)
    Steve Gadd (Session drummer, hes on over 600 albums from Clapton to Sinatra)
    Terry Bozzio (Zappa and Others)
    Jeff Pocaro (Toto)
    Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)
    Buddy Rich (Probably the top of list really, the man was amazing)

Absolute geniuses the lot of them, excellent choices.
    Sean Reinert

Listen to Doctor J, the man is f*cking amazing (the drummer that is:p). I've been singing his praises for years. Some fantastic speed playing, but then some wonderfully beautiful melodic playing. Best demonstrated on Focus, but his playing on Human is phenomenal also. Haven't heard him on anything else though, I assume he's sessioning now...

After that there's too many drummers worthy of a mention here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RLD-Paddy

i wood say Jimmy DeGrasso from megadeth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I'd be hard pushed to choose between Bonham, Brad Wilk and whoever drums for Dimmu Borgir, because whoever he is, he's damn fast.

And the worst drummer in the world? Anyone?

Advertisement