Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Drummer ever ????

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Bonzo

That girl from the White Stripes...:p
    Bloody awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    I'd be hard pushed to choose between Bonham, Brad Wilk and whoever drums for Dimmu Borgir, because whoever he is, he's damn fast.

Speed does not a good drummer make. Anyone with a clue about the drums would know this.
    That girl from the White Stripes...

Actually, I think she achieves the exact sound they are going for. Which would mean she's a fine drummer in terms of song playing. As for her technical ability, well, I've never seen her do a solo, but I can't imagine she's anything special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

I think I would have to go with John Bonham too, that 18 minute Moby Dick solo is just amazing.
    Dave Grohl is also worthy of a mention, just listen to Q.O.T.S.A. Song for the Deaf. Some great drumming in that. And Roger Taylor from Queen was also capable of some top quality drumming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I always liked Alan White from Oasis, nice intricate work. Don't really like the band anymore tho.

Caimin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Wow... I can't believe that in 4 pages all about fantastic drummers there's only been 1(?) mention of Ollie Peacock from Gomez...

Sure, I know that they're not everyone's cup of tea, but the guy is both incredibly technical and massively creative. Double-tracking drums is not something I think many drummers could do with much ease, but Peacock has done it frequently.

Also, I can't remember his name, but the drummer from Blind Melon was fantastic. I know it's not the be-all and end-all of drumming, but he used to seamlessly switch time signatures between tunes. Listen to "2x4" by Blind Melon, if memory serves, it goes from 4/4 to 6/8 to 10/8 and back and forth.

And that INCLUDES fills in 10/8 and a rhythm that DOESN'T sound like "Take 5" by Dave Brubeck... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

i like "Bam Bam" Danny Glass, of the Royal Crown Revue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    whoever drums for Dimmu Borgir, because whoever he is, he's damn fast.

Nick Barker.
    Yeah, he's definetly fantastic, but you should hear him when he was playing with Cradle Of Filth years ago. Much better altogether, loads of great drum rolls. Just listen to the song Funeral In Carpathia. They have to slow down all the old songs now when they play them live for the new drummer, Adrian, to keep up. And as much as I was a fan of Adrian Eraldson when he was with At The Gates, Barker is just a phenominally better drummer.

You should also hear his stuff with Lock Up.
    It's basically him, two of the lads from Napalm Death, and Tomas Lindberg.
    Well heavy, fast, and catchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Actually, gotta put a good word in for Bobby Jarzombek, the guy from Watchtower and Spastic Ink

So good it's scary. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Steve White drummer with Weller and brother of Alan White(Oasis)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bort

Originally posted by poobags
    What about dude from Gomez. Great!

totally agree!
    one of the most creative drummers ive heard in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bort

also to add to that, the drummer from Smashing pumpkins,
    Jimmy Chaimberlain i think, he was fairly handy too. At least in the days of siamese dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Has to be Jimmy Chamberlain for me....amazing drummer
    jchamberlin.jpg
    Terry Bozzio as well.. heard one of his solos ..unbelievably fast.. and technically amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, since everyone's posting pics...

Here's a great one of Nick Barker:

6_Nick%20booklet_jpg.jpg

Brilliant, eh? :D

68_jpg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SeeYouJimmy

has to be Gene Krupa, absolutley no contest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭darkened_corner

Hmmm . . . fave drummers . . .

Well, Jimmy Chamberlain . . . Dave Grohl . . . unfortunately I've never found out the name of the Skunk Anansie drummer [hides head] . . . Dom Howard from Muse . . . the drummers from Turn and Soulwax are a bit of class . . . the girl from White Stripes may be awful but it just works so well.

But for my current fave drummer, it's gotta be David Narcizo from Throwing Muses. The guy plays blues, rock, western, can manage to sound like a drum machine sometimes. Excellent mix of originality, tech and pure classiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Wel..It's NEIL PEART of RUSH..of course!!..man oh man...howe little the folks in Ireland know about true musical legends..he's been the best fior 25 years and always will be,,,mind you rich and krupa were great Jazz drummers, simon phillips and mike portney are class and barrymore barlllow was damm good too.

so all you lot who "never heard of PEART , RUSH etc,,,oh well...just shows,...you've missed the whole damm thing...ciao' amigo's...Baggio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Baggio
    howe little the folks in Ireland know about true musical legends..

so all you lot who "never heard of PEART , RUSH etc,,,oh well...just shows,...you've missed the whole damm thing...ciao' amigo's...Baggio

Get up the yard!!! I find your post mildly insulting. You know better than the "folks of Ireland"? Right. Everyone... please apologise to Baggio 'cos we're all wrong.

FYI I know who Neil Peart is, and IN MY OPINION he's excellent, but he ain't the best. In fact I find him way too technical/flashy. There's a time and a place for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

dave grohl/jimmy chamberlain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Originally posted by Baggio
    Wel..It's NEIL PEART of RUSH..of course!!..man oh man...howe little the folks in Ireland know about true musical legends..he's been the best fior 25 years and always will be,,,mind you rich and krupa were great Jazz drummers, simon phillips and mike portney are class and barrymore barlllow was damm good too.

Neil Peart is damn amazing, but does the fact that I listed some other drummers instead of him mean i "know nothing about true musical legends"? Personally theres just some other drummers out there that I prefer listening to. Let that take nothing away from Peart, he is unbelievable, but still, this thread is all about opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Einst,
    ..you are right of course, so apologies to you and ALL the guys who DO know the great drummers past and present, I was really looking at the general picture when I said that, I mean,,you must agree this country is terrible for "name dropping" in musical terms, if it's not Bonham and Page, Hendrix, etc etc....take away the excellent Household names such as these, and most folks seem to know little of great musicians etc, even the great Buddy Rich seems these days to be becoming a namedroppers delight, I suppose there's no point in being cynical about music and stuff, I just always get brouned off by the constant waffling of lads about the same ol' names etc, and the oceans of great drummers, guitarists, etc that are around never get a mention etc. So after ME waffling!!....I'll bid you Happy Christmas ...

ciao amigo's...Baggio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Ruth Underwood
    Jimmy Chamberlain

Advertisement