Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News on Chorus Powernet

• 01-05-2001 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

I fired off an email a few days ago to Chorus asking if they were still on track for an end of April launch. This is what I received today...

Hi Stephen,
    At the moment we are currently awaiting confirmation for
    release of Powernet in the Southside.We will contact you when
    this is confirmed.
    Regards,
    Dawn.

******, thats what that is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Hmmm. I wonder if they'll reply. {End sarcasm)

--Chris--

Visit [URL=http://uie.8m.com

THE]http://uie.8m.com[/URL}

THE source for Internet news in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

im sorry but im not jumping for joy at the thought of getting anything from chorus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bbt

Well joe22
    if they have read any of your posts to IIU list, then they're staying weell away from you.

Anyway, I also got that type of worded mail. I asked about northside, and was told <enter pointless marketing spake>.

its going to be not before last quarter before it is up and running in dubland. it is running in limerick/cork areas. and from people i have spoken to, have said it is partially faster than ISDN.
    <BUT> don't hold your breasts, um breaths..
    bBt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Its a 3gb limit on Powernet.
    I think its 10p per meg after you reach that limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You could download 3gb in two nights no problem with a decent cable conn. So we're being fu<ked yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Its 3 gigabytes per month. Anything over that and its 2p per meg.

IMO, only the freaks who leave IRC on 24/7 while downloading all of Buffy season one in AVI format would have to worry about that limit. However, I could be wrong!

Castor Troy i worked it out once, on 516k you can download 5 gigs a day
    and Lex_Diamonds you are wrong,
    you have no perception on what broadband is like, it opens you to a world you never seen before,
    you here a song on the radio you download the mp3 before its finished playing
    video on demand,
    if you go to colleage or work, you send it in from home, uploading 100mbs files worth of tiff psd's 3d studio files,
    client folders.
    opens you up into a hole new world,
    btw before you cooment lex i suggest you can a program to see how much you downlaod a month of 56k, not hard at all to get 3gbs on a 56k a month, 100mbs a day,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

no its not hard to get 3gb a month on a 56k... I don't know anyone who has ever gone over 2Gb though.. due to them having a life smile.gif

not hard but right lets say 1.5 gb is the average, thats 50mbs a day, surfing the interent downloading afew mp3s afew word files sending off a few emails with attachments, most people would probably download this in a night of just surfing,
    thats half the cable internet Quota
    right now cables 10 times faster then 56k, do you really believe you only going to download twice that amounth.i dont think so,

the hole problem is not how big or small the amounth is, its the fact theres a limit, is irish interent allways going to be restricted
    allways thinking, jesus i donwloaded allot of mp3s that weekend, i downlaoded windows sp2(not illegal) **** am i over,

as for the not more then 2gb thing and no life, once you get a secound line in it really doesnt efect your life, just leave it on downloading and you dont even notice it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Joe, your proving my point really. You basically go mental on Broad Band. Leaving it on all day and uploading/downloading large ass files etc.

If your sensible with it then you needn't worry. But I guess I should d/l a proggy to check how much I download per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

isnt chorus expensive ? like they only give you 2gb bandwith per month or something then charge a small forture for extra bandwith

its 3gbs on their cable service,
    but that powernet thing is unlimited as far as i know, but then your gettign a crap service, and chorus is run by the same type of ******* as eircom, so expect to get screwed in the end,

the hole point of broadband is allways on,
    i dont want to watch what im doing,
    i want to be able to download a 500mb file and not thing how much is this going to set me back,
    the limit thing is buggy, its seems irish people have been getting screwed so long they dont know when to say no,
    PS im not stupid enough to leave my computer running 24/7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

you have such a limited view of computers joe, "I'm not stupid enough to leave my computer running 24/7"

you remind me of my parents attitude, "if you aren't there, why's the computer on"

And yes, I know you were probably thinking of security. Well with a decent firewall, theres much less risk, and keep anything really important backed up.

a friend of my got hack even though she had both ZA and norton internet security running,
    the only good firewall is a hardware firewall. ill not argue on this point.

as for limited veiw, it is pretty stupid leaving your computer running 24/7 while you go off for the week, like why the **** would you need to anyway,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">PS im not stupid enough to leave my computer running 24/7[/B]</font>

My main computer gets a reboot once a day. but never shuts off.why is it stupid to do that joe22?

a you see thats different mate, your not on a static ip, which is what were talking about,
    mines on for days usually running defrags and ****, but with a static, no way man, i know to many people who have been busted by some little script kiddy to leave my computer on AND go off for more then a day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

were would I be able to get this program you were talking about joe that calc's how much you Downlaod?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

www.tucows.com

Alot of apps there for monitoring.
    Browse, there will be alot of helpful tools there. With links to local downloads.

really proving you know nothing....

ever consider that computers can be doing work when people aren't sitting at them?, not just defrags. There are plenty of programs that use your spare cpu time for scientific or medical research. Seti@home, distributed.net and folding@home are the most popular ones.

Also, its inconvenient to switch it off. You can come back to the computer, and its as you left it. For example, I usually leave a few websites I check regularly open, out of laziness. Powering on and off strains the components more than leaving it on. If you are really concerned about power, you can leave it in suspend mode, though even having the monitor off saves loads of power.

As for the static ip, well we haven't got that over here very much yet, and won't for another while. Once we get broadband, we can start worrying about good firewalls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Firewalls....
    If your really serious about security (and i believe that they are only 2 ways to go on this, concerned or dont give a crap), then crappy "firewalls" such as zonealarm, blackice, well...i would not thrust them.
    get yourself a dedicated firewall and run unix with some ip chains and connect via a router with built in firewall.

OJ.. get Net Buddy Pro its the best net usage monitoring program i've come across.
    Gives:
    Total downloads.
    Average download/upload speeds.
    Cost.
    Time online.
    and a handy graph reporting tool that will do per day/month/year etc.

also while on the subject of distributed apps..
    http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=7B148F5C-3FAD-4BD1-AD50-24D74B6EA65F
    go join up smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gerry:
    As for the static ip, well we haven't got that over here very much yet, and won't for another while. Once we get broadband, we can start worrying about good firewalls.</font>
    FFS thats my whole point,
    "joe on cable you would leave your computer running all the time downloading"

me"no im not stupid enough to leave my computer on 24/7"

this whole thing is about static ips you ass
    and firewall security, with broadband your allways on, meaning leaving your internet on,
    it is stupid leaving your internet on 24/7 and not being at all(MEANING NOT ONCE IN A DAY), while depending on the like of za and nprton that some little ******* isnt going to hack you,
    if or when broadband gets to me the first thing il be being (after the modem)is a hardware firewall.

over all this is a difference of opinion,
    now respect mine if you want me to respect your, we will see who right when adsl rolls around

[This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 04-05-2001).]

I'm not going to depend on a software firewall. I'll be running an old p200 with freebsd on it, using ipfw, so I will have a dedicated hardware firewall. I saw what you were saying the first time, just theres no need to give up.

i dont give up, some english skin head emailed me some choice words about hacking me and how all irish people are drunken *******s, he thought id be stupid enough to reply to his email and give him my ip so he really could hack me, instead i took his ip and traced him back to his home in london, anything happens to my computer im paying him a visit.

[This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 04-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Nero

Hey guys do you not think yee are straying off the path a little here, this topic is called "News on Chorus Powernet" !!!!.

a little off topic does a topic good, i was just saying id rather my balls eaten by two, huge, angry tit monkeys,(now theres an image smile.gif ) then give money to chorus, but thats just me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Nero

LOL - great way to put it.

As far as I'm concerned Chorus can't even manage to supply me with cable tv properly, every day theres a new problem with one of the channels, be it crap BBC2 reception, interference from local taxi (I think) firms on some frequencies, constant changing of channels.. MTV->MTV2, Eurosport->SomeGermanThing, Sky One and Sky News are currently ****ing up every second day, broadcasting non-terrestrial stations in mono (****es me off no end).

Now if Chorus can't supply that properly, I see no way that they can supply fast, affordable, efficient and reliable internet access.

• Advertisement

Poopman if you knew anything about the internet at all you would know its quiet easy to do, his isp allowed me to finger him
    and bang, name and palce of imployment. then it was easy to get his home address and telephone number

Advertisement