Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Female Rock Bands?

Options
  • 14-04-2002 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Well i dont really mean to be sexist towards my sex(thats female by the way) but..................what do people think of girl rock bands?

I dont really know of any, so if anyone would like to inform me of any good ones that would be good.

I just dont think they really sound as good, maybe thats because i havent heard of any decent girl rock bands.

Also sometimes they portray this really" oo ar im so hard" image which annoys me cause its really false lookin.

I know i sound very sexist but maybe its the fact that im not informed of any good ones so dont kill me.......what do ya think?:confused::(:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Kenicke were good in a kitch kinda way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Back in the late 70's there was this cool rock band called "Heart", which were considered to be like a female Led Zep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

The Breeders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭crow

Joan Jett
    L7
    Skindive
    Babes in Toyland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

The original line up of Elastica..........except for the drummer....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Minerva

queen adreena.
    www.queenadreena.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

heart, now there was a band

worst power ballad cheesy group evir

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

Sleater-Kinney

oh, and for some local flavour estel and the *brilliant* chicks, ahem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭freakofnature

veruca salt (not fully female)
    hole
    melissa auf der whatsits (not a band but great bassist)
    the breeders

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not necessarily all-female bands, but with female leads....

Garbage
    Skindive
    The Reputation
    Junkster

For powerpop (rather than rock!) theres

Peppercorn
    Michelle Branch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

...michelle branch reminds me of natalie imbrulia's stuff but not
    as good as the not so good nat. it's pop

hole have some good songs on the last album and then there's
    violet which rocks.

i'm not that made about the last splash(the breeders) but
    elastica have some great stuff on both their albums.
    garbage must be the best who have a woman in front.

i recommend you download these songs as a taster:

scheer - shea (irish rocksters)
    Guano Apes - Innocent Greed (germany i think)
    Echobelly - Dark Therapy (sweet tune)
    skindive - swallow
    my bloody valentine - soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

my ruin...

snake river conspiracy...

leaning more towards metal than rock...but still worth a look...

Kurdt:knockedout:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

The Raincoats (late 70s DIY post-punk, also early 90s comeback album - no "I'm so hard" image, but some of there stuff is quite heavy)

The Slits (mad-as-a-brush punky reggae-ish outfit, singer Ari Up's voice is an acquired taste, but their 'Cut' album is one of my faves ever)

Le Tigre (current band fronted by ex- Bikini Kill, who were also good, singer Kathleen Hannah, they rock)

Electrelane (up and coming new-wave/ Krautrock influenced all-girl posse from Brighton)

The Shaggs (again an acquired taste - musically incompetent early 70s sister act, strangely compelling listening)

The Carrie Nation (okay, they're not a real band, they're the band in "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" and probably didn't play any of the instruments themselves, but I just dug the soundtrack out last night and it's fab)

The Clitoris Allsorts (the all-girl band I was in about ten years ago that never got further than my bedroom - it wasn't an image, we *were* so hard)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

you guys not listen to the girlie hour? anyway...

all girls:

the bangles
    the slits

girl leads:

the b52's
    the secret goldfish

anyone remember the runaways? anyhow, the name is melissa auf der maur, she used to be with hole... and don't get me started on female performers or white heterosexual male will be the lightest bit of abuse i'll let you away with... ;)

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

p.s. patti smith for the white house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr Crowe

heart, now there was a band

worst power ballad cheesy group evir

man thats only hearts 80's stuff, in the seventies they were very rocky, folky, zeppeliny......they have one great album called "dreamboat annie"....its well worth checking out if you're into 70s folk rock

peace&love
    mr crow

p.s STAY AWAY FROM THEIR 80s ****

Originally posted by AtlantaSuburb

anyone remember the runaways?

I knew I'd left someone out!! (as well as all the 60s girl-groups who I deemed irrelevant)

Little known fact (unless you read the Runawys feature in Mojo a while back) - Michael Steele from the Bangles was kicked out of the Runaways and told by their manager that she'd no future in music

Whatever happened to Lita Ford?

Originally posted by AtlantaSuburb
    p.s. patti smith for the white house!

Amen to that - ideal contender for 1st female US president!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

ah the chicks....ive said it before and i'll say it again....don't get me started!!!!

i dont know if theyre good, but kitty? never heard their stuff but ive heard of them.

pj harvey.....not really a band though, but kind of rock ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

kittie are just angry girls that go through a lot of bass players...they're on their 4th methinks (and it might be a guy)...

lisa hannigan is a fox...she's pretty good...

Originally posted by Lolo

Amen to that - ideal contender for 1st female US president!!

michael stipe could be her running mate... c'mawn, he IS sort of female... *g* anyhow, never really been into lita ford. what about lisa dalbello? more rockin women: debbie harry, for god's sake! and niko! and tina weymouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

um ... cat power, kim deal (did someone already mention the breeders?), i know Le Tigre were mentioned before, but they deserve a second mention. Cat Power is fantastic, although i've heard her live performances (snapping at people who *shock* dared request a song etc) are somewhat baffling. Throwing Muses/Kristen Hersh are fantastic aswell.

i don't know. i know i'm forgetting a lot of people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭four_star

rockbitch have a brilliant live set where they do lesbian acts onstage. also at the end they throw a golden condom into the crowd and whoever catches it gets to do whatever they want to the stage slut whether the catcher be male or female--class. by the way their music is ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

If you don't mind me asking, why don't more girls form bands? All my male friends have been in bands but there are plenty of female music enthusiasts I know who've never been, or even considered being, in a band.

Answers on a postcard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭pixe

I have a strange concept about this, and it comes down to the way in which males and females think and prioritise things.

Generally the boys like hobies....this starts from child hood ...collecting, reading all the magiziness on the subject and genrally seriously geeking out over the subject (examples being star wars, Transformers, toys cars etc). :rolleyes:

Now girls often geek out alittle too about certain subject, but genrally get bored after the first limated edition mag on the subject has been brought out - we got the doll....shaved it's head....we're happy with that. The boys on the other hand have to go into direct competition getting every bigger and better edition. :D

Now you may ask ...what has this to do with Music and Bands etc..

See by the age of about 12+...we all start to find are own musical tastes, as all teeenagers do we try to get the best and biggest colection possible. So when you love the tunes, you genrally want to learn a few...and soon your on your way to writing your own.
    :cool:

But this is were the pathways start to part. Where at about 15/16 ye try out a few bands, trying to be a rock star, alot of girls try it, but don't get as obsevive as there male conterparts.

At this stage the boys are spending hours reading and geeking out over guitar magazines, and trying to out do each other's amp size. This in turn leads them to be in bands and .....hay pressto there are more blokes in bands than there are girls.

Simply all it is is that the Boys get a newer fad and evole into musicians (of course that not true for every one but I do think that is explains most of 'em)

Some of the girls stick it but genrally get pissed off with all the other ****e, and if it just came down to playing music they'd stick about longer.

Also, because girls don't geek out as much in the magazine and music department this in it self can be a disavantage, cause they don't learn the best guitar, or amp or mess around with the latest licks by Yngwie Malmsteen does a shpeel on the latest guitar lick.! :rolleyes:

I think this also explains why so many female rock musicians are so damn tough... Remember what is was like girls when you tryed to play along side the boys. You had to learn extra to prove you self. Same in music! Thats why so many of the girls that make it can be kinda bitchy....they've worked they're asses off to be there!!!

hum, here, for one, is a girl who'd like to be in a band and doesn't seem to be able to make it there. as soon as people hear a female voice on the phone in this country they seem to bang the receiver down... :( honestly, the most common answer you get is well, we were really looking for a man... :mad: so here goes: adventuorus female vocalist (kickass), also rgit, mandolin and some other stuff is looking for equally adventurous musicians to play with. answers via pm please...

I think it's true that women relate to music in a different, less geeky way - for instance, I know a few women with huge record collections (mine isn't exactly piffling either), but very few of them seem to be bothered about whether something's an original or a re-issue etc (except when the originals have kick-ass packaging!). Similarly, much as I love going to gigs I'll never be as obsessive as my boyfriend, who has a long list in his head of all the people he wants to see, and will go and see people who are way past their prime just so he can tick them off his list. I think women tend to be a little less obsessed with musicianship as well and more focused on songwriting, but I know a few exceptions to that rule as well.

I think Nick Hornby puts it very well in High Fidelity when he points out that when women are passionate about music they'll express it more freely, i.e. be the first on the dance floor givin' it loads instead of standing their stroking their chins in appreciation.

I've been in and out of bands for years as well and I've expereinced the same negativity from guys as Atlanta Suburb has, but I've also played with a lot of male musicians who couldn't give a feck what gender you are, and some who even actively seek out female musicians. (By the way Atlanta, I'd form a band with you in a second except a/ I live in London and b/ I'm primarily a vocalist too).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Can't help but think pixe's post used me as a guinea pig for her theory. Pixe and I used to be in a band till last november andwe would be a great girl rock outfit were it not for the fact that I am not a girl (not including weekends). We're just a none musical partnership now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Kittie. Class. New album, mmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

the only female band I remember really liking is the breeders seems that there are alot more female solo artists than bands Liz Phair could rock the **** out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭rapture_queen

Hey thanx everyone for informing me of some bands.

I did know some of them already but the image they portrayed put me off( as in i wanted to shoot them) but now i will delve into

some of the bands suggested. cheers:D :p

ps. im surprised there was no female bashin, things like that usually stir some **** like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭rapture_queen

:D Four-star,are these people real or just a male fantasy?

Is there music good or are they just hookers who came across an instrument on the street?

Yeah i cant totally understand the whole theory about girls being intimidated in front of male musicians.

There should be more girl bands out there and Atlanta i would join your band but im **** at guitar!

But i dont think girls are less nerdy then male people cause i know a few nerdy girls. But it's true they dont really collect stuff from a tender age.:rolleyes:

Advertisement