Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There's a newbie needs 12 clicks...

• 14-04-2002 3:41pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

zeezee69101 - 12 click please - I've had to nuke an extremely racist joke thread on the Humour board (thaks to all those who reported it).

Cheers lads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by Kharn
    zeezee69101 - 12 click please - I've had to nuke an extremely racist joke thread on the Humour board (thaks to all those who reported it).

Cheers lads
    did you give any warnings? surely one offence doesn't warrent expulsion from paradise? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

zeezee6910 "im not a racist, i think every one should have a.."

Other member " id advise you to delete this topic, as it will be taken extrememly seriously"

zeezee69101 " more racist crap"

other member " seriously man shut up"

zeezee69101 " more racist crap"

ah i see... ban away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

I agree - the guy payed no attention, even though a lot of people told him to stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by Kharn
    thanks to all those who reported it

np kharn.

and the thread was entitled "Ethnic jokes". Except all it contained was jokes about people of african descent, using that bad name for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

on that note, how about the word **gger being made a censored word, or is it and he was getting round it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

i found them funny ,

at least he told us what he was going to post, i was under false illusions before i read them , if you don't want to read them don't.

personally i found the quote about the queen mum more offensive.

*[assuming that he's a guy]

also **** isn't really an offensice word. its the way you say it could be considered offensive , same way as calling someone paddy.

---tangent. i've some friends , black ones and i'd say "wat up me niggar" , not **** i know but still, same word .

its also as offensive as http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47705 ... clearly there will be some threads that people don't like.

Yes, and I've had Pakistani friends calling pakistani's - Paki, but I still don't think it's good to be plastered on the walls. It's like calling someone with a big nose "Big nose" -its an insult even though the core of what the phrase or word may mean. But to be honest n**ger doesn't mean dark skinned, it is a "disparaging" word used to belittle and cause offense.

Some people will read posts not knowing what they will say until they have read them, I'm pretty sure most people do. So some people will get offended without wanting to, Shirley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

umm the title of the thread was "racist jokes"

that was a good discription. they were racist.
    if you are offended by them don't read it.

i myself wouldn't say/post racist jokes , but did find them a humourous read.

Actually the title was "Ethnic jokes". I read the thread because I thought there would be humour involving ethnic quirks/diversity etc. I didn't think it was about slandering races of people.
    to be honest

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Pablo
    i found them funny ,

at least he told us what he was going to post, i was under false illusions before i read them , if you don't want to read them don't.

so if hitler had told us about the holocaust it would have been ok ???

also **** isn't really an offensice word. its the way you say it could be considered offensive , same way as calling someone paddy.

I can call my friends dick-head or bitch or whatever in playfull way - because they know i dont mean it - but if you were to post a thread about someone being a dick head - that would be different

you cant use the word **** on a forum in a nice way - how you use it in the 'real world' is irrelevant.

The jokes were hateful and not funny - there can be no arguement against that

uncool.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

aww come on, at least give the guy a chance, like ffs I saw the thread and laughed. Big flippin deal like, I didn't instancely feel the need to report the thread just because it wasn't PC. Like ffs have you ppl ever been to a comedy show? all you hear is racist jokes, in the Empire down the lisburn rd you get aload of comedians slaggin off every minority under the sun and you know what? it is funny :D . K maybe his thread hurt your feelings and sure delete it but it is no need to 12 click him.

i think i could appreciate racial humour only in a world where people aren't treated according to the colur of their skin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Racist jokes while have a slapstick quality -- imagine someone who is offended by racist jokes and that is the very first thread they see on boards... it's not exactly a nice image.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

Originally posted by Cloud
    Banned.

N1 :D

And i agree with **gger being made a censored word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    I dont think he wanted to be here. Probably someone who is here already taking the piss me thinks.
    Agreed.

/me wonders what the ip could tell a person.
    Not much, though the ISP part could be used to narrow down the possibilities. To actaully request the IS to lookup which phone number that particular IP was assignned to on that date and time wuold require some sort of Garda involvemtn i'd imagine, which works both ways; it would be very unsettling if any tom, dick or Mercule could just ring up an ISP that servers half the country and 'enquire' about the source of an IP, then find the address of the number in www.goldenpages.ie and it starts to get rather serious then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by SyxPak

Not much, though the ISP part could be used to narrow down the possibilities. To actaully request the IS to lookup which phone number that particular IP was assignned to on that date and time wuold require some sort of Garda involvemtn i'd imagine

You obvioulsy have never been around when Devore has been annoyed so much by a muppet to contact thier manager/parents.

They are the IT version of fight club.
    We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances. We guard you while you sleep. Do not **** with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Hobbes
    when Devore has been annoyed so much by a muppet to contact thier manager/parents.

Or school!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I remember being told somewhere that if you make a request to an ISP they'll give out the number in "good faith". Which is, I feel, rather terrifying...

In fact, I'd advise deleting all posts relating to that particular bit of info.. hate to see aforementioned muppets getting their hands on that knowledge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by lordsippa
    I remember being told somewhere that if you make a request to an ISP they'll give out the number in "good faith". Which is, I feel, rather terrifying...

They don't. They *may* give the telephone numbers to The Gardai if requested-ie without a warrant

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The ISPs will not give out your details from an IP. Period.

Only on one occasion did I get verification that a name I said on the phone was the person we were both discussing and that was along the lines of
    Me: "Is it XYZ"
    Her: "I couldnt possibly comment."
    Me: "Is is ABC"
    Her: "No."
    Me: "That tells me everything I need to know doesnt it"
    Her: "Yes"

Muppets are just never smart enough to really cover their tracks. You can always find ways to track them. I've developed a knack for it I think :)
    Phoning is always fun, but lately I've taken to adding little flourishes like the TCD guy or the Glenstal guy... a BOFH has to take pride in his work... :p

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

nothing beats a good mupept hunt
    some of the funnies threads have been where some mupepts have named and shamed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Actually... come to think of it... i think it was when the CIA were investigating a threatening email to the usa president... so n/,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Hobbes

You obvioulsy have never been around when Devore has been annoyed so much by a muppet to contact thier manager/parents.

They are the IT version of fight club.
    :)
    I wasn't around for Glenstall (or else it just passed me by - I don't read every thing that passes through here), but I relished 'Joneseh Lives here', some of the most magnificent photo-shops ever seen, have most of it saved at home...must dig it out and host it somewhere...

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Racism is teh un-funneh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by lordsippa
    Actually... come to think of it... i think it was when the CIA were investigating a threatening email to the usa president... so n/,

yeah yeah. All the DCU CA students get told that one.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

DeVore is like a super natural tracker of these scum.

Have to say i enjoy when there named and shamed.
    Also Smak tends to phone some of them the ones that there numbers where put up.

he goes
    smak: hello
    other: hello
    smak: are you the muppet from boards.ie
    other: hangs up
    smak:guess so
    end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by Kraken
    Also Smak tends to phone some of them the ones that there numbers where put up.

he goes
    smak: hello
    other: hello
    smak: are you the muppet from boards.ie
    other: hangs up
    smak:guess so
    end

ah yes. so much fun :)

[edit]
    come to think of it ive rung:
    - that jonesy chap (hung up after i mentioned boards.ie
    - Relative/Ken (who wanted to record the conversation!! :))
    - some other muppet i dont remember the name of.
    [/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

looks like ken wanted proof of harassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Not that most of you closed minded bitches care, but I personally think that you should have the ability to turn on and off 'censored' words as I for one would much rather read abusive rants in all their quilocially explicate glory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

You can personally think it all you like; boards.ie official policy is to ban certain words so as to avoid making things easy for those who feel they must direct abusive rants at our other members. BTW I have removed your moderatorship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Verb

yeah yeah. All the DCU CA students get told that one.

Gav

i was in DCU when that happened

Originally posted by Typedef
    Not that most of you closed minded bitches care, but I personally think that you should have the ability to turn on and off 'censored' words as I for one would much rather read abusive rants in all their quilocially explicate glory.

hey typedef, youre back to having no life.
    whys that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

i was in DCU when that happened

It was you wasn't it. You were that girl they thought did it.

Gav

Originally posted by smak

ah yes. so much fun :)

[edit]
    come to think of it ive rung:
    - that jonesy chap (hung up after i mentioned boards.ie
    - Relative/Ken (who wanted to record the conversation!! :))
    - some other muppet i dont remember the name of.
    [/edit]
    but you've rang me.... HEY!! lol :D

Originally posted by Verb

It was you wasn't it. You were that girl they thought did it.

Gav

lol
    no, it was a bloke did it from his g/friends account.
    they both got turfed out but i think she got back in coz he admitted that she had nothing to do with it.
    never heard anyhting after that
    i think it was someone a year or two behind me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

G-Force ever vigilant, once again saves the world from malediction.

Advertisement