Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting two computers.

• 14-04-2002 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭

i am getting a new computer. i am looking for a way to connect the old and the new for a few days to transfer files etc. is there a way to do this.

only has a network card.
    is there anyway around this . both have USB Ports.

i was thinking of buying a USB Direct Link Cable .around €55.
    my frined of mine was looking to do this as well. so i could sell it to him when i done with it. it could be handy for later use though.

Will this cable work and will it solve my problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

that cable will work as long as your using windows

you can also opt for a cheep parallel direct conect cable - it's slower but if you only want to transfer small files it's great.

My personal favourite is to stick a network card into both computers and connect them with a crossover cable - I could be convinced to make you up a crossover cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

2 10/100 network cards and a crossover cable will cost you under 55 euro (perhaps around 40 ) I think you are saying you have one card already, if so thats even cheaper.

Network will be faster and much more useful to you in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The cheapest way to do this is to remove the hard drive from the old PC and and open the new case and remove the cable for the cd drive(the IDE 40 pin one) and connect your old drive there, transfer the files and bingo bango ur done. The reason we remove the cd rom cable is because u don`t have to mess around with jumper settings. Its not as hards as it sounds and is straight forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Thats a great idea. i can set the old hard drive up on it. thanks.
    i have a spare ide cable as well thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

maybe you should keep an eye on this thread as well

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48610

Post the specs of your new and old machine kevin so we can have a look at what you`re doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭fi

i use a double sided printer cable, and use a programme called Windows commander, a nice wee programme, very usefull even lets you connect for ftp upload to your own site and stuff.

putting the HD in is also good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Old
    333mhz Celeron
    160MB Ram
    3.2GB Hard Drive
    4MB ATI rage pro
    CDRW and CDROM
    New
    Processor Type AMD Athlon XP 1900+
    Sound AD 1886
    Processor Speed 1.9GHz