Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll: Favourite Browser

Options
  • 14-04-2002 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

it may have been done b4 but i'm gonna do it again

What is your favourite web browser 51 votes

IE
    0% 0 votes
    Netscape 4.x
    58% 30 votes
    Netscape 6.x
    0% 0 votes
    Mozilla
    1% 1 vote
    Opera
    15% 8 votes
    Gaelon
    17% 9 votes
    Konqueror
    5% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I voted for IE. Yes yes yes Microsoft bad etc. But at the end of the day its what is used by most people and that is what counts :(

I prefer the look of Netscape 6 but it takes to long to start up at least IE starts straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

Originally posted by damnyanks
    I voted for IE. Yes yes yes Microsoft bad etc. But at the end of the day its what is used by most people and that is what counts :(
    breah with the crowd mAAAn :cool: - but seriously it's important to make sure your website works in IE - but for personal use you should try out opera

I prefer the look of Netscape 6 but it takes to long to start up at least IE starts straight away.

yeah netscape 6 looks cool but it has to much bloat for my liking - and mozilla can look as good when you skin it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

IE still, have tried others just prefere IE, but ie6 is been such a pain in the ass (crashin all the time), thinks i'll go back to IE5.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

have you tried mozilla??

Youd like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Do any of the others start up as fast as IE?

• Advertisement

galeon in Linux does

Opera is a different kettle of fish - it takes longer to load - but cus of it's tabbing , subsequent windows open v. fast

just got that mozilla for a look see, looks crappy but see some sample skins which were nice. where can i download them?
    Most of the sites i found through google were crappy with only like 5skins and they were mostly crap so didn't download them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

The win32 galeon program, think its called K-Meleon loads faster than ie and loads and displays page faster. Very small size too.

Mozillas great but clunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

...at least IE starts straight away.
    Yea IE loads up quickly, but that's it. If you're like me and surf with 5->10 *browser* windows open all the time, IE will just suck! Opera is unbeatable when it comes to the multi-window surfer like myself. Once the approx 5sec load is over with, just literally blink and another window is open! Once IE does it's once off trick, it takes at least 5secs or more to open each additional window :(. Also, Opera will kindly refuse to open another window if you're using too many resources on your computer and so never crashes, IE will continue to crawl along to a complete stop, until it's too late and it kindly shows you the Blue Screen Door.

ooo and opera will reopen all your windows if it crashes

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sisob
    ooo and opera will reopen all your windows if it crashes
    Too many reasons to *love* Opera, I forgot, no, take most of them for granted now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

Nobody has mentioned the mouse gestures in Opera, does anybody else use them ?
    I find myself doing it in IE when i have to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Netscape is a boil on the face of the internet. It takes ages to load, ages to load up webpages and crashes regularly for no reason (for me anyway). Opera owns my pants for it's multi-window goodness, and mouse gestures for lazy browsing, mmmmmm... :)

That said, I haven't have an opportunity to use Netscape 6.2 or Konqueror on the net yet.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

IE

The main problem I *had* with IE is that if one window crashed they all did BUT....

There is a registry tweak I found on www.regedit.com that will allow each window to open independantly and thus if one crashs they all won't.

My main reason for not using Opera 6 more (even though I like it) is that i have all my links set up nicely on the Links Toolbar in IE and I couldn't be arsed reorganising it elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Kev
    Nobody has mentioned the mouse gestures in Opera, does anybody else use them ?
    Mozilla has mouse gestures too: http://optimoz.mozdev.org/

The one thing that stops me from using IE is the way it loads a duplicate of the current page in every new window that you open. Adds 5 seconds at least to the "open new window" time. I browse with loads of windows, so this makes IE painful for me to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Where's the Atari Jaguar option? :(
    I hate all browsers and will one day make my own browser :D

most pppl have never heard of galeon

but it is the king of browsers - beats the pants off opera - although i think opera has incorporated some of its features recently

if you have linux give it a try

Man I found a great new feature of Mozilla, and now I can truly say it pwns opera (no banner by default you see).

If you go to file-new-navigator tab, or ctrl+t you can have multiple pages open in the one window, now it is the absolutely stonkingest.

Makes me glad I voted for it.

Originally posted by Meh
    Mozilla has mouse gestures too: http://optimoz.mozdev.org/

The one thing that stops me from using IE is the way it loads a duplicate of the current page in every new window that you open. Adds 5 seconds at least to the "open new window" time. I browse with loads of windows, so this makes IE painful for me to use.

ya set you homepage to blank so it always loads quicker. ya can then just open explorer again as oppose to a new window. just as quick.

not if you have a page currently displaying and then you press ctrl+n, then it opens a new window with the same contents as the current one.

Whereas there is no such problem with Mozilla, ah bliss...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Where can you download copies of those alternate browsers cuz I just use IE6 and would be interested to see what opera and those other ones are like, just out of curiousity. Also can some one tell me what some of the major differences are between them? thanks.

The best is Mozilla: http://www.mozilla.org
    Then theres opera: http://www.opera.com
    Nutscrape I dont recommend: http://www.netscape.com

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by suppafly
    Also can some one tell me what some of the major differences are between them? thanks.

IE you're familar with

Various incarnations of Netscape are made by Netscape (oddly enough), version 1 was designed by Marc Andressen after leaving Mosaic in 1994ish. IE still uses elemts of mosaic (the first real web browser, something people who were using the Net in 93-94 would remember). Netscape is a dog imho.

Opera is one of the non-free browsers (though you can download an advertising-supported version and effectively use it for free). Afficionados of that browser would say it's fast, uses less hard drive space and is more concerned than the others with keeping to standards

Konquerer is used by real Linux-heads.

No mention of the wonderful Amaya (sarcastic mode on). Shame!

Originally posted by sceptre

Afficionados of that browser would say it's <snip> more concerned than the others with keeping to standards

While I cant directly challenge that as I dont know the full facts, I have to say that Im not convinced about that one.

I find Mozilla renders pages much better than Opera, and it wont render properly if there is even one line of your CSS with an error in it, which suggests to me that its very standards compliant.

I had a lot of problems with my site, in the code, Internet Explorer rendered it brilliantly, and the others turned it into garbage. Naturally wanting to think the best of my code, I blamed the other browsers thinking to myself "how can these other browsers call themselves standard compliant".

I came here with the problem and was given addresses for validators to validate my code, it was in a mess. However, when I fixed it up, Mozilla rendered it perfectly, opera did a half decent job, and I dont even want to talk about nutscrape.

Now you might be thinking, wow IE can render pages with errors in it, that must be the best. From a web development point of view though, I would have to say, that the most discerning of browsers (ie Mozilla, opera) are probably the best to go for, and since Mozilla renders better, it gets my vote.

Oh and as I already mentioned, but feel it needs mentioning again, Mozilla can also have multiple pages in the one window, so be gone you opera lovers, get a better rendering browser :p

Just kidding I still love Opera, just not as much as Mozilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

downloaded opera and mozilla last night and got rid of opera's ads, have to say was instantly taken with opera's visuals and its speed, mozilla just reminds me of netscape for obvious reasons perhaps that is why i was not taken with it, i will give them both a try and switch back to IE if i don't like em.

My fav feature of Opera as a web developer, is press ctrl+alt+v on any web page, and it will open a new window and validate the code using http://validator.w3.org/check# . Overall, I voted for opera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by Gideon
    just got that mozilla for a look see, looks crappy but see some sample skins which were nice. where can i download them?
    Most of the sites i found through google were crappy with only like 5skins and they were mostly crap so didn't download them.
    Originally posted by Baz_
    have you tried mozilla??

Youd like that.

i really really don't remember posting that. How times change, i loves my mozilla and will never go back to IE. tis the best thing out there. Mouse gestures, tabs, menu bar search, komplett search, hell i even use the mail client with it too now. saving a group of tabs, built in blocking of ads, personal tool bar thing. just so much better.

Alo.

can't re-vote cos must have the last time. its an old poll, outta date?!

ANYHEW Thumbs up for MOZILLA.

• Advertisement
Advertisement