Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wahey! I totally ****ed up my machine.

• 09-05-2001 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Tried installing a certain product on my machine at home (products will be not be named to protect the innocent).

Of course the first rule in installing anything is make sure you read the instructions.

So needless to say it didn't work as my machine is configured wrong. No problem, I uninstall and reinstall and run the patch updates before running again. Still doesn't work.

I uninstall only this time the thing destroys my TCP/IP in some werid way.

I have tried reinstalling network card, repairing W2K and both don't work.

From what I can guess it has somehow screwed up my TCP/IP in some way.

For example. If I set my machine to DHCP and tell it to grab the IP directly from the cable modem it doesn't work with an error along the lines of "trying to connect to something which isn't a socket".

If I set it fixed IP and connect to my router. I can ping, tracert to the router and other machines in the LAN but not outside the LAN. I also can't connect to the routers control panel (which is done through browser) from the machine. I get DNS error even though it's an IP address I'm putting in.

I've checked all the services and some are running but computer browser doesn't appear to want to run. I get an error message "Cannot start service, required service does not exist or has been marked for deletion". I get this error on a couple of others too (like IPSEC, but I don't use that anyway).

So the machine is working perfectly except for the fact I have 0 internet access.

Anyone any ideas?
    m-u-n.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

i had a similar problem when i switched from isdn router to cable modem using ME.
    As far as i can tell you can't switch back and forth by just releasing and renewing your ip address. when i did this it would ping out but not be able to find url's...if i knew the ip i could get the webpage etc. it was fixed by ipconfig/release in dos(or winipcfg and then release in windows) then rebooting.

not enough info to figure out the rest of your problem, but re-install should work with proper amount of re-booting and don't plug stuff into your network card will-nilly.

sorry if this don't work m8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭wintermute

Networking services not wanting to start? - I had a very similar problems with W2K some time ago. Try removing then reinstalling all networking components – TCP/IP, NETBIOS etc. That generally solves the more awkward NT / W2K networking issues when you can’t be bothered to fiddle around with the horrible little innards of those operating systems.

However, your Internet connectivity problems sound more like a routing issue, try the following if you haven’t already.

1. Check your default route on the local machine, it should be set to the LAN interface of the router.
    2. Check if you can access external addresses when logged into the router – this will rule out a connectivity issue with the router.

I’d really need more info about your configuration and LAN architecture to make a proper assessment but possible look at NAT pools on the router next…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Thanks but these are things I have already tried.

From what I'm guessing is some of my ports are corrupted or pointing to non standard ports. Possibly due to a service which is knackered. But removing the network card and letting it reinstall all the drivers and TCP/IP again does not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Skillz

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭wintermute

What do you mean by some of your ports are corrupted? Clarify your terminology.

What does Event Viewer report?

Do the packets hit the router at all? Turn on debugging and see what's going on.

From experience, I have found it better to actually remove the services individually rather than just removing the network card. They often still linger on the system. But maybe that's just NT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Me suggests this:

firstly take a backup of your wsock32.dll before u play.

delete it from whereever win2k keeps it,

Remove all networking bits including RAS (or is it dial up networking in Win2k) ?

Reinstall all networky bits including RAS or whatever its called.

if still no joy, go into a prompt
    and type ipconfig -all

it might be ipconfig -a

(i dont have 2k anymore)

If your cable modem has a fixed ip, set your Gateway to that, and let DHCP do the rest, if all else fails, reinstall 2k frown.gif

RentZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wintermute:
    What do you mean by some of your ports are corrupted? Clarify your terminology.
    </font>

In that I can say ping a machine or tracert a machine and it works fine. But if I try to http to that machine or telnet it doesn't work. (both using IP Addresses).

It's like my machine is working but not all ports on the machine seem to open up.

Maybe ports the wrong thing. TCP/IP Services.

I don't get any error messages in my event logs. :/ And yes I have it configured to report all errors. :)

Advertisement