Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Powernet plz ELP

• 05-05-2001 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

ok
    i am tinkin bout gettin it as tis better than isdn pricing,,but can any1 tell me what sorta ping for counter strike u may get and how much cs and a bit of surfing u can get in with da 3gb limit
    i mean how many megs in 1 gb
    any1 know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [-FI-]Barra:
    ok
    but can any1 tell me what sorta ping for counter strike u may get and how much cs and a bit of surfing u can get in with da 3gb limit
    </font>

Very few people seem to have the service, so the ping question is open.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    i mean how many megs in 1 gb
    any1 know?
    </font>

1024 megs in 1gb

[This message has been edited by Skeptic1 (edited 05-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

very few people have the service - more like none cos its not been brought in yet. Still in 'testing' or some bull****.

I see youre in Cork like myself which means it wont be around here for another few months at the very least. well as for your transfer limit I'll put it this way. I'm on a slow 56k modem connection and on an average night I rack up about 40-50megs of transfer. So on a permenant connection to powernet I would obviously download/surf and play games more, so bandwidth usage would be likely around 200 megs a day (for me anyway - im an addict). Soooo my monthly total would be

30 days X 200Mb = 6GB
    now if chorus gives me half of that in a monthly package, then I'm going to be paying thru the **** every month on top of the subscription fee. This is their plan of course and they realise that they'll rake in money on ppl that exceed the alloted bandwidth amount. Another thing is the speed (512k) is not guaranteed so you might end up only getting half of that if ure lucky. Depending on what part of Cork u live in you might get way less. I live in Carrigaline so if I dont have line of sight to a chorus repeater/base station then I cant get powernet at all..

For what its worth, wait for a decent satellite connection. Speeds are better for surfing & downloading. not great for the games tho with pings of over 300 (hell I'm getting hear 250 with a 56k). A nice 2 way satellite connection arriving in July from a dublin company.

hope this helps anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

sit down begrudger.

first of all chorus can't even police their channels yet for digital tv (if you have it you know what i mean, i have 50+ channels including payperview even tho i only want/pay for the standard 21)

so what makes you think they will be watching the 3gb download limit all that tightly?

secondly, okay so maybe they watch it. 6gb a month u say? do the math someone, how much for 3gb per month extra from chorus. i tried working it out before and it was either 20 ro 40 irish per gb. if you are going to download a lot then keep it in perspective. how much would 56k cost you to download 1 gb? more or less than 20 squid?

and for the final question of ping? with chorus powernet i get ****e pings (90 to 120)to the irish servers, but i get loverly pings to UK ones(steady 50), so i dont even play on me own server (bayridge) anymore, just enjoy BAryy's world servers instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Yay, someone using the service smile.gif
    Yanklnk, does it work well? give us the pros and cons etc.
    Edit: just read your other post.
    Sounds like its working well. Does there seem to be fluctuations in connection? How much was the setup fees? Why do you think there is the difference in pings between irish servers and the UK ones.
    The main reason im interested in chorus is for pings and not for downloading as much as possible, so im wondering about the ping issue.

[This message has been edited by Dustaz (edited 09-05-2001).]

Originally posted by Dustaz:
    Yay, someone using the service smile.gif
    Yanklnk, does it work well? give us the pros and cons etc.
    Edit: just read your other post.
    Sounds like its working well. Does there seem to be fluctuations in connection? How much was the setup fees? Why do you think there is the difference in pings between irish servers and the UK ones.
    The main reason im interested in chorus is for pings and not for downloading as much as possible, so im wondering about the ping issue.

pros and cons:
    1. i have no idea why the pings to irish servers are the same as isdn??maybe someone can enlighten ME. but there's no fiddling with dialup so little control over that.

2. default download max is 60kbps but a little tweak (easy to find) will get you 120.

3. It aint perfect, I only have it a week so i have only 7x18 hours/day smile.gif to go on for the moment. Every now and again my cs ping goes to 100 on uk, and very very rarely it goes to 2000, and when that happens i know it's time stop for an hour anyway and see the sunlight. but most of the time i can count on a steady 50 to uk servers.

4. cons have been mentioned before, ie: the download limit of 3gb, and at ??/gb over that (someone work it out willya) it dont bother me.

5. i cant think of any other cons to be honest, wait till i get my first bill wink.gif 50milion dollars downloaded...haha

6. overall. i am seeing things i never thought i would see, ie the fastest streaming video etc...in the highest resolution/screen size possible etc.

pricing is 100 for hardware install ie: modem and antenna, (u have to see keeper hill, if your in a valley forget it, i live near parkway shopping centre)

50 squid for software install, they really dont want self install, but if u can convince them i can do it for ya. wink.gif

40 squid a month incl vat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

"2. default download max is 60kbps but a little tweak (easy to find) will get you 120." are you telling me you can uncap chorus modems.
    cool, i dont think you can do that with NTL's cable modems.
    That is a big + unless you live next to a ******* whos doing it killing your speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Umm Joe, ntl dont have modems, they refer you to the only place in ireland (afaik) that sells them which is in bray.

Oh and NTL are rumoured to be upgrading to 1mb cable by christmas.

its a windows tweak, just search for tweak and cable modem in google and you should get instructions...similar to mtu for modems i would guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

i know white, a phrased that badly
    i meant you can uncap on chorus's cable internet as apposed to ntls

i allways thought uncaping a modem(even thought you uncap the modem)depended on what isp you are with not the make of the modem.

as far 1mb cable, ill believe it when i see it,
    probably coast an arm and a leg

[This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 09-05-2001).]

• Advertisement

No actually, there either doing it cos cable costs almost twice here as it does in england, or to compete with adsl
    (NTL cable is £25 in the north and in england)

Advertisement