Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News on NTL's financial state

• 09-05-2001 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

Found this while doing some study avoiding browsing biggrin.gif

Its basically an articel on how NTL are doing money wise. The last lines of this article make very grim reading for those outside the upgraded areas who are waiting for Cable:

http://scripts.ireland.com/technology/newsshowall.cfm?ID=1621

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

how old is this article,
    Edit, yea i see what your saying,
    no real reason putting opinions forward, untill me see what ntl does, they have been quiet for months.
    id like to know how they can offer the same digital tv as they do in the uk without having a two way network.

[This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 09-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:
    id like to know how they can offer the same digital tv as they do in the uk without having a two way network.
    [This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 09-05-2001).]
    </font>

They don't say they will offer the same digital TV as in the UK just that they will offer some sort of limited digital TV. One way digital TV does not need a high grade cable yet, through digital compresion, allows NTL to offer more channels over the same infrastructure. Even so, many of the older areas will not even by capable of this limited service. The ODTR web site has details of which areas are getting this type of digital TV.

NTL have also said that they will be offering broadband cable Internet in areas of "high demand".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

hmmm i thought the whole point of digital is to be interactive, how can you do that on a one way system,
    and if what you say is true about older areas not being able for it, then i cant see them getting much past 100000 people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Certainly some part of the Cablelink network is already digital. I notice these days when the channels go a bit funny it's not b&w picture and snow (analog) but frozen images and big blocks of distortion (clearly digital).

Don't know if it means anything siginificant. It might be no more than their master feed coming from Sky Digital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

As someone said above, there is further information on the ODTR website. In the documents>digital section there is info on NTL's plans.

The basic jist of the thing is that they plan to have crtain areas updated by September but that NONE of these areas will be two-ay networked. They then plan to offer Digital services to these partially upgraded areas. There are no plans to resume two-way upgrades anytime soon.

Cble isnt a possibilty until well into 2002. frown.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement