Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay boards (again)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Orignally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    if the faegs get their own board i want a straight board.
    No. This board was ostensibly set up to discuss all walks and aspects of life. I think that gay issues and how they impinge upon members of the community (be they straight or gay) is important enough to merit a place on boards. This is not the same as equating it to a 'heterosexual' board or any such nonsense.
    Originally posted by Kalina:
    You say you wish to stem the muppets that could stop people from posting but surely by restricting uninvited people from posting you will miss out on plenty of (hetrosexual and homosexual) people's interesting and valid opinions.
    Hmm. Take a look at this thread in admin. It has had to be closed down for half an hour for DeV to clear up the trolling. A thread in humanities called homophobia has had similar deletions. Over the past year, there have only been a few threads on the issue of sexuality, or indeed about gay issues. This may seem like a good reason to keep the status quo, but given the current interest in the topic I think that it is fair to say that debate has been stymied by blatant trolling and homophobic attitudes on boards.

Yes, putting a private board up will stem some useful debate from some members of the boards community, and it is regrettable that this cannot be helped, but given the current attitude held by many of the people on boards, it would be a better situation than the current one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I have faith in the mods!

Swiss, Do you need a place to talk about these issues?

do feal the need for privacy in the matter, cause thats all i see just you, wanting your own little place!

you'd have to admit swiss, friends of yours have told you that
    "you love being part of a minority" [not my own words]

why dont you have your own gay gathering card and post your own drinkies posted in afterhours, i mean we'll drink in the same public houses, we all post in humanities and politics for the same reasons, does a little matter like being gay change all this?

post up where relevant swiss and if you are flamed then its the mods duty/discresion to look after it!

Originally posted by SearrarD
    Swiss, Do you need a place to talk about these issues?
    Please look at my last post on this thread. No, we don't need a gay board, just as we don't need a freemasons board (does it really exist???) or a bubbles community. If the argument that the establishment of this board will segragate the boards community then why should it be any different for all of these other boards.
    why dont you have your own gay gathering card and post your own drinkies posted in afterhours, i mean we'll drink in the same public houses, we all post in humanities and politics for the same reasons, does a little matter like being gay change all this?
    It doesn't. We don't need a board to discuss these issues. That is not the remit of a gay board. It never was, or will be. Post up the gay gathering card, if you like. We can all arrange to meet up for drinkies in after hours, if it is being arranged. You're confusing 'gay issues' with issues that affect all of society, which is already dealt with on boards.
    "you love being part of a minority" [not my own words]
    pfffffffftttt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by swiss

Please look at my last post on this thread. No, we don't need a gay board, just as we don't need a freemasons board (does it really exist???)

Such a board does not exist.

.logic.

It doesn't. We don't need a board to discuss these issues. That is not the remit of a gay board. It never was, or will be. Post up the gay gathering card, if you like. We can all arrange to meet up for drinkies in after hours, if it is being arranged. You're confusing 'gay issues' with issues that affect all of society, which is already dealt with on boards.

BINGO!

are gay issues determined by society and as a whole affect society?

ventura.jpgHUH CAN YOU FEAL IT HUH HUH

post up where relevant swiss and if you are flamed then its the mods duty/discresion to look after it!

Originally posted by SearrarD
    are gay issues determined by society and as a whole affect society?
    In many cases, yes, but these issues primarily affect gay/bisexual people and their friends. They should have their own board to discuss these matters. The rest of society, if they want can apply to the board. I do not want to see a gay/bisexual clique emerging, but I do think that a board should be in place to deal with issues that primarily affect these members of the community.

I don't know when the board will be set up. I assume that we will be notified when it is ready, that is if DeVore hasn't changed his mind.
    Originally posted by logic1:
    Such a board does not exist.
    Of course not. How stupid of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

swiss - just one question!!

why did you join these boards????

my guess would be to be able to interact with a wide range of different people whom you know nothing about and be able to make up you mind about others without the usual preconceptions and sterotypes associated with certain types of people now when you remove the anominity from this board and are still persisting with this crusade despite the fact that DeVore has already stated that there would be no seperate board based on race, religion or sexual preference you are only alienating yourself - besides i honestly dont see why you want a seperate board wouldnt you rather be known and recognised for who you are rather than what you are!!!

Issues,

Lets have a Middle east board for all those issues that have shown up in humanities and politics,
    Because these issues primarily affect our jewish and middle eastern posters and their friends...wouldn't that be great

wait a sec, thats society and thats where it belongs!

QED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Let them (him) have their private board!!! Who really gives a shít :rolleyes:
    If it's private, it's private we don't have to deal with it unless we want to, and if they wanna speak about some gay issue openly, it can go in PI or humanities.... no big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Hmm. Take a look at this thread in admin. It has had to be closed down for half an hour for DeV to clear up the trolling. A thread in humanities called homophobia has had similar deletions.

Unless DeVore has deleted anything from it, which as far as I know he hasn't, nothing's been deleted or edited in that thread yet.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Nothing on the humanities thread has been deleted. In fact I'm quite happy (so far) with the level of civil discussion there.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Well, there you go Swiss, according to DeVore and Castor Troy nothing has been deleted from humanities so my point still stands- people seem to have more sense that to post up rubbish on such threads as this one and the homophobia one you pointed out. So how can you restrict peoples access to your private gay board to invitation only???
    And how does one acquire such an invitation??

hmm. This thread had been closed for a while to deal with the trolling that had taken place. Since then, it has been quite civil. Ah, well it appears I have jumped the gun a little. Soz :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Careful now... some people take homosexuality very seriously...

like Tom Cruise... and Bert & Ernie from Sesame Street.

:)

To be honest, I don't want to seem like I'm railing on in favour of a private forum purely for my own benefit. A lot of the recent posts seem to suggest that the status quo should remain, and that the inclusion of a gay board will create a rather un-nerving precedent on boards (not in a homophobic way, but rather a fear that it could lead to a segregationist stance on boards)

I certainly would not want that to happen. After all, I am more than happy to post in the forums that interest me (I don't post that often in the Mac board for example, I'm sure that doesn't make me too closed-minded an individual :p) and I am sure that that will continue to be the case.

Maybe I've misjudged the attitudes of the boards community with regards to this issue. If people don't want to participate in such a board then there is really little point in setting up one for one or two people. On the other hand perhaps some of the members may not want to openly advocate the setting up of such a board for their own reasons, in which case a private board would be an option. However, it was pointed out to me that these same people could have problems sending a pm to someone asking for permission to access these boards! It's a lose-lose situation.

I don't know what situation would work best. Perhaps the current system is the best one for all concerned. For the time being, I would like to know whether or not it is going ahead. If the admins feels for whatever reason such a board should not be set up then that's fine. I'll just have to find another board to troll :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement