Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiphone -> O2

Options
  • 15-04-2002 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Can someone please explain the reasoning behind the name change? Is it as much of a waste of money as I suspect?

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

calling a telephone company the scientific name for oxygen is definatly NOT a breath of fresh air.... excuse the pun... but at the end of the day i dont have shares in them so who cares...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

BT bought digiphone and mobile networks in Germany and holland. They combined all there mobile networks (including BT cellnet) into one company call mmO2. O2 is just the Irish version of the company.

It remains to be seen whether it will be a good or bad thing. Initially there will be no change, but over time u'll prob see better roaming facitilies.

Also they've applied for the 3G lieance, so we will fianllly be getting the next generation of telco tech (years after every1 else)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I suppose mainly for admin, branding and marketing effciency they are sticking everything under the O2 umbrella.

Vodafone did the same here w/ Eircell so I guess they are just jealous. Prolly is a big waste if you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It means they are more likely to retain roaming charges when you are in another country also.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Most things like that are a complete waste of money but have to be done... I dunno if you got one in the post but Digifone sent out these flick books to most customers and they are the biggest waste of money I've ever seen...

Vodafone spent somethinf crazy like €5 million on advertising the chnage from Eircell to Vodafone... what a waste...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

It seems a little bit silly to change even when Digifone changed there logo only a while back. I dont really care as long as the prices go down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Originally posted by Winters
    It seems a little bit silly to change even when Digifone changed there logo only a while back. I dont really care as long as the prices go down :)

It not changing of the sake of changeing. It because its a totally new company, offering new services and becoming a part of a larger europoean wide network. (well hopefully :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Altomaximus

Originally posted by Keeks

It not changing of the sake of changeing. It because its a totally new company, offering new services and becoming a part of a larger europoean wide network. (well hopefully :))

The GSM network is already the largest on the planet. Even AT&T Cellular is dumping its kit (finally) to join the global standard.

Vodafone and 02 or Digifone or Cellnet or whatever they want to call themselves deliver no value added to the customer. Everything is available within the MoU framework. If you subscribe to one of the small independent GSM networks in Europe you can roam anywhere at about half the cost for incoming and outgoing calls than the takeover conmerchants charge. Do you want to pay €1 or thereabouts per minute for using your mobile phone while roaming in the rest of Europe - or would you prefer to pay 20 to 30c?

Many of these larger networks have wasted €20 billion plus bidding for worthless 3G licenses. They are passing the cost of their naiviety on to their customers.

Ireland has made a total mess of its 2G infrastructure. The country urgently needs some fresh blood untainted with the mistakes of the past. It would be a big mistake to give any of the 2G licensees a 3G license given their track record of highest in Europe pricing, manipulation of phoneshop market, and procrastinative policies when it comes to rolling out new services.

Altomax

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

It's got us all talking about them... didn't it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 seating

tis mainly a branding issue.

people show ads on foregni channels and people watch the foregin channels , and it maximises there advertising saturation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 EmilianoZapata

I would think that it is also a way of making some publicity for the company aswell.

Advertisement