Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Offline run a candidate? :D

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

It is way to late to put up a candidate now. Time would be better spent putting pressure on your local TD about this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Regi

How much is the deposit anyway?

Deposit was £300 last I checked but may have been rounded since Jan 1

People have won* on stranger issues (notably deflectors and perhaps hospitals (more a "local" issue than a "strange" issue obviously)

I don't think IOFFl is about taking support from the current political parties, rather about attracting support and achieving success through other means.

Bottom line is that a candidate would have less chance than that chap running on the insurance issue (and I'll swallow a stick of RAM if he gets elected). If there was a possibility of being elected, people might be more in favour of it, all that would be achieved by merely running a candidate could be to lose the government contact that we have made.

* and run. Isn't Ming the Merciless running again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

Originally posted by sceptre

Bottom line is that a candidate would have less chance than that chap running on the insurance issue (and I'll swallow a stick of RAM if he gets elected).

Its not about winning really for this chap, but it would be sweet if he did win. Its about generating maximum exposure for your campaign, what better than to run for election in an area with very prominent TDs ?

If he makes any inroads it will prompt the government and regulators to sit up and take notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

its 300£ i'm going to assume dividing that by 1000 or 1500 members won't be that much. Why not do it... ? It's something we_can_do ... so why not do it ? We should try and do everything we can shouldn't we ?

If the candidate is sucessful can we get 1 1000th to 1 1500th of the salary ? :p

I'm reminded of a film I saw years ago with Ray Macanally, I think it was called " A very british coup "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Would the average voter be - aware enough of this issue - to make it a worthwhile exercise?.

Would it not be more advantageous to the IOFFL stated aims and aspirations.

To get a political candidate to adopt "Unmetered flat-rate internet access for all as his/her main issue when canvassing??.

It MIGHT attract a lot of - PUBLICITY - for the candidate. Be they "Independent" or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

From the Committees perspective we have discussed this.

The main upshot of what was agreed was that, one of our principle vehicles for lobbying was that of politicians themselves and hence we need to foster good relations with these persons.

As an organisation, once you cross that line between supporter and competitor (i.e. Potential Vote Threat) those relations go downhill quickly, and this is something that would be counter-productive.

Notwithstanding this, the logistics of it are mind boggling and there is NO plan to run a candidate.

Personally, if anyone wants to stand as an independant on the ticket of Communications in Ireland, feel free to do so. Although, even w/ my obvious interest in the area, you wouldn't get my first preference :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

A while back and i still think it was a good idea and i don’t hold with this "WORKING" with the TD,s rather than being competitors BS.Simple fact is that TD,s will smile sweetly nod their heads in a knowing and caring way and sympathize with you right up until 5 minutes after the election and then they will get down to the only thing that really matters to them lining their own pockets. The upshot of this last discussion was that it was not about getting elected as like most sensible people would realize that there is more to a government position than one issue. The main problem was that know one would run this is a shame as i said last time i would love to see (our candidate)grilling the opposition on a national TV program about the state of our so called E-HUB country.

Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

The paying of a deposit to run for election was found unconstitutional in the High Court last November: http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2001/1130/hom2.htm

I'm still researching this myself (I'm not going to be running as a candidate, I just want to find out how a person *would* go about doing this), the latest info I found was this:

"Minister for the Environment and Local Government (Mr. Dempsey): The
    Government has recently approved the drafting of a Bill to provide for
    an alternative to deposits following the High Court decision in the
    Redmond case. The Bill will provide that non-party candidates at Dáil,
    European and local elections will be required to obtain the signatures
    of ten registered electors as assentors to the nomination. Candidates
    who are nominated by a registered political party and who have a
    certificate of political affiliation from their political party would
    not have to obtain signatures on their nomination papers."

http://www.irlgov.ie/debates-01/6dec/sect8.htm

I was just thinking that another way of getting attention for a candidate like that is the Eircom share fiasco. Look at all the voters who got burned with them.

A nice slogan like "Got burned with Eircom shares ? Get your money back, heres how: " and proceed to explain IrelandsOffline position and that IOFFLs policies will mean a cheaper phone bill and so you'll not be paying Eircom as much.....
    something like that..

• Advertisement
Advertisement