Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reevaluate the game servers.

• 15-04-2002 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but its the closest I can find since its concerns the various server admins.

Looking at the state of the various IGN and IOL servers theres a lot of wasted servers about. So how about taking down the unused servers and replacing them with more popular games, I'm esp talking about the TFC servers on IGN and the CS ones on IOL (although I know that may not be possilble. These could easily be replaced with more popular games, you mightnt manage a one for one swap, but surely one full jedi knight server (or wolf) is better than two empty TFC or CS servers. I for one would suggest another DOD server, the radox and IOL ones are always full, I'll be maxing the player count on IOL one once 2.1 comes out but I can guarantee that will be full.

You need only take a look at the server polls I've done for games2 to see demand is there.

I say you dont use it u lose it.

DEATH TO THE TFC and CSuxs servers !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Rev Hellfire
    but surely one full jedi knight server (or wolf)

Jedi Knight server would be l33t. Playing on English servers sucks.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

unused servers and replacing them with more popular games, I'm esp talking about the TFC servers on IGN

Theres only one TFC server on IGN now, its still played on every now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

A Medal of Honour server might be good, throw some custom maps up there and the ability to go into Objectives mode.

Best thing to do is get all the server admins into an IRC channel and have a chat about it.

Luc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 [IR] DaZ

hmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

JK2 isn't supposed to be all that great online.

RTCW is better than MOHAA in multiplayer. Oh, and yep yep on the extra DOD server.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Kyro
    JK2 isn't supposed to be all that great online.

RTCW is better than MOHAA in multiplayer. Oh, and yep yep on the extra DOD server.

Umm JK2 is brilliant online.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Shouldn't this be on the games boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

I'm esp talking about the TFC servers on IGN

There is only one tfc server and people do still play on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Whats the latest word on the tribes one server rev?

• Advertisement

I was talking to regi this evening and he's on in prinicple for dropping the TFC server and replacing it with something like MOH which I've got a the kind offer of a loan of a disk for. So now all I need to is convice mindphuck to drop the unused server and get a game up that the majority of ppl want.

On the topic of the tribes1 server, yes its still a a goer things may not have progressed as fast as was hoped but hopefully thats sorted as of today, these things take time.

Also on a side note I fell we can run another server on games2 due to it getting a bit of a refit recently, so I'll try again to get Jedi Knight up ( I still need someone to loan me the disk for a day no more). Usual NWN clause applies :) Failing that I'll run another server poll.

If we can get a Jedi Knight and a MOH server going I think we'll have served most gamers well. I'll keep banging on mindphucks door :) I'd really like to see a buzz going among the old players and new ones alike.

and remember kids DEATH TO THE TFC AND CSuxs SERVERS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

IGN is likely to be used more in the upcoming Vitality league. Clans pick one server to play each map on so Id imagine the Irish clans might want to play on ign because of ping :E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

IGN is still used for tfc, not as much as in it's heyday, but still a fair bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

keep the 1 tfc server that is still there, ppl still play there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Aye its the only irish tfc server left

keep it plz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Perhaps a server should be dedicated to hosting the latest mods to come out for quake 3, half life, ut....
    Just give them a limited period and if their popular keep them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ah here now, only 1 tfc server left, what has we come too?
    Some people do play on IGN from time to time, its just whenver the type of people are on IRC and the mood they're in, but please don't let it go on us :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Ahh we need at least 1 TFC server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Inf

AKP (a tf clan) use IGN a fair bit for clan matches, becuase they aint got a server.

And its still used alot for late night dms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DeizeL

IGN should be kept, it is still used a fair bit and will hopefully be used by all irish clans throughout the Vitality leagues.

The removal of IGN2 crippled the Irish TFC community enough as it is. Now I beg you, don't shut down our home :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pendulum

Aye - it would be gr8 to see the TFC server remain, as when there r peeps playing, the atmosphere is brill and the games are fun..

Keep it i say !

Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Removing IGN2 didn't cripple things, it all sort of died. People wanted a server which could cope with more people and thats what they got, to the detriment of IGN2.

Basically where tfc used to get new blood, it all went to counter-strike. Its fair dues to tfc that it still goes as well as it does, it seems to create players that like to play it long after its become unfashionable. When counter-strike got into full swing, we lost all of the muppets on tfc and had some golden days - but they were going to eventually run out - not enough new players were coming in. If you want, I'll try a poll to see if people want the old 14 player, 10 player server setup, with the extra lag etc.

Eric might upgrade the box, so heres hoping things improve. Rev, theres definitely enough scope for this tfc server. The box isn't up to much else and it still has a loyal following. Games1 is pretty much not up to me, thank your stars you've got your own say (http://games.iol.ie - to clarify).

http://www.gamespy.com/stats/mods.asp?id=15&s=2 <---- Counterstrike is still the main baby. Whats happening on your dod servers is you've sucessfully built up a community, fair dues. Though counter-strike is huge, its probably over compensated by servers.. ie if you're gonna run only one server what are you gonna run? most choose counter-strike. Like you say though ign is in an more enviable position and could possibly coordinate things better. I suggest we take this to e-mail so we can organise ourselves better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

please leave TFC

Rev you meanie :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ya canna take away TFC server! :(

/me chains himself to the server

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i for one think tfc and cs servers should quietly make way for tribes and jk2 servers

the more the better

I think the best solution and this is one I've talked to regi about is to pull the server and try a MOH or JK2 server in its place for a week to 10 days, and see how demand is for it.
    To say the server is popular and well used is to tell a wee fib now, I've been watching that server a bit and while it is used its used by a small group of people on an infrequent basis.

If in the mean time any TFC clan needs a server for a match I'll sort them out with one for the duration of the game. Cannt say fairer than that.

After the week or so we can revaluate the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

In my opinion , the TFC server should stay...

Even now in this day, there are two top rated clans (being RvR and IR) and there are lots of new upcomming TFC clans who frequent the server. I think that the community is not totally dead, And that maybe with a server upgrade the server could be popular once again, although obviously never as popular as it once was.

I think it's the job of the clans who influence the TFC gaming community to make the server popular, They're the ones who can bring people to the server.

Last night the server was almost full, we had a decent 6v6 game...

So that's a 'no' vote on taking down the TFC server..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Co33iE

I think the tfc server should be kept...

lose all the cs servers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

TFC server has to stay, it is the last irish server for this mod and is still used and has been pointed out will be used even more now with the upcoming Vitality league.

As to lets play DOD on IGN, we had another DOD server pinging people well, nobody used it and it was publicised here in the same place as these people who are shouting for another one read, it is now closed through lack of use. We also had RTCW, closed through lack of use, Operation Flashpoint, closed through lack of use and many other servers tried and closed through lack of use. Why shout to kill our last irish TF server when there are server spaces available that nobody is using ?

mail me if you need more info....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

whoops a daisy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Dogmop

afaik IGN is the only 'true' Irish TFC server left... Granted I'm English and got plenty of servers to play on, IGN still holds on to my heart :x IGN..

Oh btw, logic's right, JK2 Online rules, especially CTF Sabers FF.

*pimp* 195.149.21.112:27055 *pimp*

ps. give IGN a decent map cycle and bring back IGNTFCL :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

take the none standard maps off the IGN map cycle

IGN has never been - and never will be a server to play custom maps on.

people who want to play custom maps have pently a places to play them, and with admin mod they can vote them on any how.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

TIMEOUT (195.149.21.112:27055) / ms

As for removing all the league maps, I dont think it should go that far, but maybe have the standard maps, and murderball :E

remember guys, we can still use adminmod to vote for league maps :-)

Advertisement