Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ISDN - worth it?

• 10-05-2001 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Does anyone know if the eircom hispeed idsn offer is really worth it. And before I get a load of people just spoutin on about how sh** eircom are, Ill reply and say I dont care if they are sh**, I just need to know a little bit about this service from people who have it / used it / know summink about it.

Basically, I need something more reliable than 56k dial up connection. As far as I know, hispeed is 64k or 128k with two channels, therefore double charges. Ive read all the docs from eircom on it but is it okay? Is the difference between dialup and isdn (64k / 1 channel) (cause thats what ill probably use the most, not 128k [im broke!]) noticable? Etc., I think you know what I mean. Dont want to spend money on this if its gonna be practically the same frown.gif This seems to be the only other option in this country now that no limits i smoke. And I cant wait 6 months for asdl, btw. Ill upgrade when that comes but I need something better in the next month or so.

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks guys

I charge what I charge because you cant do what I do with a spare weekend and a copy of frontpage express - Web Developers motto

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Well a single 64 digital channel is a big improvement on 56k dialup - ping in games should be under 100 to decent servers here or UK, no phone jacking unless the line goes completely, which only happened to me about twice in two years of using and ISDN line.

Download speed should be 7-8k a second which cuts about 30-40% off download times and you can just stick the other channel on offpeak, file downloads in half the time for twice the cost = same cost as downloading it on 64k.

If you're going to be using a 56k dialup anyway and spending money on calls then definitely get the HiSpeed installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

it all depends
    two lines and snl is better imo,
    but i cant really comment as i havent gotthen it in

Yeah its worth it.I got it for playing quake.My ping in quake before it was about 170,with terrible PL and terrible lag.That was on a 56k modem.I got the high speed and now i have no lag no PL and a ping of 27 on irish server's !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 padjo

Thanks Castor_Troy. Thats exactly what I needed to know smile.gif Do you know what the delay is like with installation?

I was thinkin of gettin a second pstn line and just goin on no limits, but thats off now. Since isdn is only a few quid more a month it doesnt seem so bad. Im just a little sceptical because its unusual for an internet access deal to be so clear-cut and 'normal' (i.e. slightly attractive to the end-user) in this country smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

i have it, in a word: no frown.gif not for me.

If you can get an isp that will take you & not just plug you into one of their 56k feeds (i use oceanfree + when i ran a bandwidth test i scored 56k on my alledged 128k connection) then thats fine. If you're going to do it seriously then you'll need to pay for an isp on top of what eircom will be charging you for the line + your phone bills.

admittedly it is a bit faster - it takes me about 2/3 seconds to get online smile.gif + the extra phone lines are nifty, but its nto really worth it unles you have heavy web usage.

imho, a stopgap measure at best

Oh okay. Well, I presume eircom.net supports 64k and 128k isdn, seeing as theyre offering the product!? smile.gif Thats what I use mostly to dial up cause oceanfree is quite unreliable in my area for some reason.

Checked eircom's site and theyre sparse on whether eircom.net supports 128k / 64k isdn. Even in their hispeed leaflet they dont mention anything other than to subscribe to an isp that supports isdn.

Which isp's support 64k / 128k isdn?

[This message has been edited by padjo (edited 10-05-2001).]

in your area ! smile.gif

how much is the eircom.net isp ? I'd love to hear more...I'm stuck with the isdn (don't ask)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by yossarin:

how much is the eircom.net isp ? I'd love to hear more...I'm stuck with the isdn (don't ask)

</font>

Eircom.net is completely free...! Just set up a new connection and slap in the number 01-2171101 (if your in dublin of course, all the local numbers are on their site) and dont enter a username and password as they dont use auth (you can enter a username/pass but it wont matter). Bingo...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by padjo:
    Thanks Castor_Troy. Thats exactly what I needed to know smile.gif Do you know what the delay is like with installation?</font>

My boss ordered it last week and it was put in today - so about a week if you're in Dublin and they don't have much work on smile.gif btw, telling them it's for business like ringing an office network and stuff may encourage them to sort it out a bit faster.

arrr, it was two months in my day...

• Advertisement

cheers, i didn't know that. hopefully they'll support 64/128

shout back when you get the box. They install like the corporation - slow but determined.

edit: on yeah you need a teminal to go between your computer and the wall + eircom dont supply it (they just run a wire to a isdn point on the wall). I saw a nifty isdn terminal that had a 4 port hub built into it. i can't remember the name of it but it was seriously cool

[This message has been edited by yossarin (edited 10-05-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:
    it all depends
    two lines and snl is better imo,
    but i cant really comment as i havent gotthen it in
    </font>

You seem to be a great one for that Joe22, as per the USB memory sticks thread - if you can't comment or have nothing to add to the thread then why don't you stop posting $hite?

Hehe! smile.gif

Well, thanks everyone. I think Ill order it after all smile.gif

Would love to know if anyone knows which isp's support isdn fully (64k/128k)

I charge what I charge because you cant do what I do with a spare weekend and a copy of frontpage express - Web Developers motto

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

See the IIU website for details of ISP's:

http://iiu.taint.org

I use UTV Internet mostly at the moment, and I find them pretty reliable. Oceanfee is ISDN ready too, but I refuse to use it because of Esat's mishandling (effin manhandling more like) of the SNL situation.

UTV supports 128k, although you need to use it wisely, or the bill will skyrocket. I've heard that Unison support 128k too, but I never got it to work. Never really tried though, cos I'm not keen on supporting Tony O'Reilly either.

It's hard to know who to support these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think isdn is pretty damn good, I get pings of 40-50 in quakeworld, 50-80 on a good day in q3, similar in cs. Download rates are always 7-8k, usually 7.5k, and the connection is reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

ISDNs deadly. Much better than modems, especially for gameing. And noticeably better for downloads. But make sure you get a good TA. (terminal adaptor). Asus or Eicon are good makes, and you can order them cheaply from the UK (IT direct sell Eicon TA's, but I think asus are marginally better, so ordered mine from dabs.co.uk). If you get a bad TA (and I think the one eircom sell is bad) you will add 50 to your ping. From 50 to 100. Or worse. Asus is only about 25sterling anyway.
    quozl

ok Castor Troy
    i was trying not to start a flame
    but isdn is ****e
    why
    you pay more to rent an isdn line then 2 normal lines
    your on per minute eircom rates
    you will be waiting a month to get the ****ing think installed
    you will pay £100+ just for the 128k modem
    once everything is up and running and your monthly bills will be £200+
    you ping is that great
    you download speed isnt anything to brag about(im on snl and i get 5.5kbps download for 20 an extra 3kbps is not worth it)

there you go thats what i think, sorry for trying not to be an opinionated arrogant *******, i guess thats whats expected here.

[This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 10-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Joe, everyone is actually trying to be as polite as possible. But you keep spamming threads where you know nothing at all, ie every thread.

Have you ever used isdn? You certainly don't have it, so theres not a whole lot of point in you criticising it.

yes, you pay more to rent it. Thats because you get what you ****ing pay for. It costs too much relative to what johnny foreigner has, but think relative to Ireland here. Its a solid 64k connect, which connects instantly, doesn't disconnect purely because of line quality ( isdn disconnects are rare, and are usually the isp's fault ).

Pretty much everyone in Ireland will be paying eircom's per minute rate if they can't get ntl, or are booted off esat, so thats not exactly a valid point either. Perhaps you are forgetting that the call rates for isdn are not any more expensive than for modem? Unless of course you use 2 lines. 128k is handy for grabbing big downloads in a hurry though, but 64k is grand for websurfing, and gaming.

"your ping is that great"

I think you mean "your ping isn't that great.
    Well once again you show your complete lack of knowledge. Do you play online games?

In most conditions, isdn provides a 50-100 ping. This is waaaay more playable than a modem, and is not subject to severe spikes.
    It also depends on the netcode in the game. CS feels great with a 50-100 ping. Usually my ping in cs hovers around 40-70.

In quake3, its around 50-80. Not quite as good as lan, but its very playable, and quake3 is unplayable on modem.

Under ideal conditions, I dial into eircom, and play quakeworld on an eircom server ( vishnu.ign.ie )

Quakeworld doesnt really strain a 64 connect, and has good netcode, so I get a 30-50 ping, usually around 35-40. This is AS GOOD AS A ****ING LAN, at least for me.
    So your point is utterly worthless.

As for downloads, if you get a 5.5k download rate on average, on snl, fair ****s, you are one of the lucky few, perhaps even the only one. I only ever hear of terrible d/l rates on esat at busy times. Of course if you are on at a quiet time you will get a better rate, but its hardly the average, is it?

Every time I dial up on isdn, I get at least 7k, usually 7.5-8k a second. The only time it dips below that is if the server I am downloading from is not able to provide that bandwidth, which is rare.

Almost forgot, I paid £50 for my Eicon TA, secondhand. They are available brand new for £70-80, same as a good external modem.

If eircom can stomach introducing a flat rate or reduced rate isdn service, it would be a good rival to cable/adsl for people who don't need *that* much bandwidth.

Regarding installation, if your exchange has no free isdn ports, yes, you will be waiting ages, and yes eircom will screw you round. I waited 10 days. Eircoms service has been top notch, any time it has stopped working, they have been around same day or next working day to fix it.

So STOP writing rubbish about topics you know NOTHING about. You haven't listened to a word anyone has said about you, you still continue to drag your own reputation down. Peoples patience with you has simply run out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 nitr0s

I was able to get 7-8kb's a second on a 56k modem last year before the company went private.Since they went private, they fiddled with my phone line, cut the line feed into limited chunks for their excellent idea of isdn.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">you pay more to rent an isdn line then 2 normal lines
    </font>

HiSpeed is 35 quid per month for 2 phone lines and 2 ISDN channels. Thats 25 quid a month more than a bog standard line - seems relatively fair here.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">your on per minute eircom rates[/b</font>

Agreed, no flat rate access sucks, but it's not going to change this year for most customers.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">you will be waiting a month to get the ****ing think installed
    </font>

As I mentioned above, it seems to be around a week now, in the Dublin area at least.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">you will pay £100+ just for the 128k modem</font>

As also mentioned above, if you bother reading all the replies you will see that an Asuscom TA, one of the best around can now be got for 25 quid sterling. IT Direct on Parliament St. do the Eicon TA (another good one) for about sixty quid.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">once everything is up and running and your monthly bills will be £200+ </font>

Possibly so, but call charges are the same as 56k so why not get the extra speed? Plus the amount you use it is up to the customer.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">you ping is that great </font>

I assume you meant to say your ping isn't that great there. An ISDN ping of 50-60 to a server is a vast improvement over (at best) 120 or so on an analogue modem, which is also subject to line noise amongst many other problems that ISDN doesn't suffer.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">you download speed isnt anything to brag about(im on snl and i get 5.5kbps download for 20 an extra 3kbps is not worth it)</font>

8k a sec vs. 5.5k a sec is 40% faster, that means less time and therefore money on downloads - given that you're paying THE SAME AMOUNT for the 56k conn, I say get it.

Joe22, I've used an ISDN line at home for two years up to February, and going back to 56k is unthinkable just ask any other user.

• Advertisement

Damn it Gerry, great minds think alike obviously smile.gif

I hate Eircom, but I have to give them one slap on the back this year, and that's the lead on Hi-speed. I enquired about it on Thursday, and ordered it on Friday. I told the girl I needed it urgently, and tried to get the local lineman's number, but to no avail. Got a phonecall from the lineman 9am Monday morning, could he install it at 10am? Installed and ready by 11am. In all honesty though, I think it was more to do with the few quid I bung the lineman every time he comes round than any caring on Eircom's part.

Joe22, I don't know who you are, but you really are out of your depth here. You're commenting on something you know little about, by your own admission. You're going on rumour and supposition. In DSL threads, that's acceptable, but you're talking balls now.

To cover your points, one by one:

> you pay more to rent an isdn line then 2
    > normal lines
    >
    ISDN lines are dual channel, so it's actually two lines. The lines themselves are more expensive because they're digital.

> your on per minute eircom rates
    >
    State the obvious why don't you? That's why everyone is battling for LLU.

> you will be waiting a month to get the
    > ****ing think installed
    >
    Two people have refuted that in this thread. That used to be the case - it used to be closer to two months actually - but not any more.

> you will pay £100+ just for the 128k modem
    >
    Only if you're a tool.

> once everything is up and running and your
    > monthly bills will be £200+
    >
    Your bills will be £200+ if you use it £200+ worth. My bill this month was for £114.71, and I use the Internet a LOT. It's all down to management.

> you ping is that great
    >
    Aside from that being a meaningless sentence, I can't commend because I don't know anything about pings, I'm not a gamer.

> you download speed isnt anything to brag
    > about(im on snl and i get 5.5kbps download
    > for 20 an extra 3kbps is not worth it)
    >
    No you don't, that's what your computer tells you you're getting. You can't get more than 4.4-4.8k out of an analog 56k link. Also, there's a big difference between 5.5k analog and 5.5k digital. Digital is clean bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Wll ill get isdn as soon as i can afford it (in college atm tongue.gif)
    i recon there will be some price reduction (flat rate?) to compete with dsl, cable and wireless (if they ever arrive rolleyes.gif )
    it is a good product imho but overproced atm

and joe22

Wood u ever shut up bl33ting on about stuff u obviously have no grasp of ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Roffle Mayo
    3 peeps smaking down joe point by point !!

wan lads smile.gif

a you see thats what i thought,
    i wasnt going to talk crap about something i know nothing about, just made the comment snl is better and left it at that saying i wouldnt like to comment to much as i dont have it.
    so then i said what i thought (PS it took me two weeks to get a secound phone line dont BS about 1 week for isdn)

so then ive got 3 guys repeating the same crap at me, maybe you guys should read the posts before, anyway its good to have me make comments like that gerry as if gives you the chance to clear it up.

afew points my monthly bill for 56k if i didnt have snl would be 200+ so i disagree on that

£25 sterling for a isdn, i thought you were making a joke there, i cant even buy a 56k for that.

as for that 5.5kbps being aload of bolox, i average 19mbs an hour, when i run at 5.5kbps i can get that up to 21mb per hour

this is one thing i wont be questioned on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Jesus Joe, learn your lesson ffs.

Well, I left this earlier today expectin no more replies but I guess I was wrong! I think isdn tends to be forgotten in the midst of all this adsl talk. bottom line, it seems to be one of the best ways to connect at the mo in this country.

This topic has proved a few things to me:

1) There are a lot of really helpful people out there who dont mind sharing their knowledge

2) There is always one idiot who rears his ugly head (u know who im talkin bout...). Like any other forum, I read a lot before I ever post. Ive read most of the topics on this board and this users continuous barrage of spiteful comments and inaccurate blabberings is really beginning to p*** me off. Its users like that who discourage people from posting again. Somebody do everone a favour and kick him off

p.s. thanks again to everyone smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Joe they never said 5.5k was a load of bollix, ah whats the point, your obviously a stupiud cnut who knows nothing about what you keep bl33ting about. Just fúck off.

I think it's time to do what my mammy always used to say to me:

"Just ignore him and he'll go away."

smile.gif

• Advertisement

dahamsta thats what i say about your wife, but ever night shes back for more
    and WhiteLancer he did you asswhole
    he said 5.5bps is not real, as you can only get 4.8bps down a analog line

and i said shut the **** up fool, how do i download 19mb+ an hour then.

so there your wrong, im right, **** you and good night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement