Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ISDN - worth it?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

it takes 2 secs for me to get connected on my isdn . i only use the 64k line .

i spend 150 a month on phone bills .

it took 4 working days to get it installed ( told them it was for work )since then have had no probs

i have the eircon isdn and that was 80 pounds . my dl speed is always 7.5k ive never seen it drop lower then that yet .
    line rent is 3x. a month .

connecting to british and eu q3 servers i always have a ping of 65-80 .

if u dont believe that joe sorry but its true .

also since i just noticed this 4.5 bps ??? bits per sec ???? come on dont you meen kbs and white lancer said kbs .

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

[This message has been edited by elexes (edited 10-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,583 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I just ordered ISDN today....

Anyway, I was wondering which isps support it and which is best value for money?

Eye ham zee Walroos.
    You ham zee Flyhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

im talking bites what are you talking? bytes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Joe, you still aren't listening to anything anyone says. Read all the posts, take a while to contemplate them. I reckon you should be kicked from this board, for utter muppetry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm not married. Your mother seems to prefer hard cash.

• Advertisement

no anymore you dont, she died last night in my lap, it was just TO big for her

and yea my mother prefers hard cash, what type of dual dealer do you take her for.

Gerry, your only sexy when your drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Pharaoh

I've got ISDN about 7 months and it's well worth getting in,you just need to be careful with the amount of time you spend online.
    Pings and downloads are good,I had a 65meg download at the weekend and it took about 2hrs to complete,thats not to shoddy now is it!
    Eircomnet does not support 128k on it's normal dial-up number,you have to get a subscription account with them at slightly different rates......0.8p min I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

benefits of ISDN over a 56k modem :

connects to the net in .5 seconds or so
    downloads about 7-8k instead of 3-5k
    a lot more stable, less "dissing" etc...

What I use :
    For playing Quake - buyandsell.net - their isp is essentially freeserve UK meaning you can get great UK pings, about 40-50. The ISP also uses STAC compression, which improves ping times in windows 98.

For downloading on 128k i'd use buyandsell.net too - you can get about 15k/sec
    For downloading on 64k sec I use an indigo subscription account from work which runs at a cheaper 44p per hour instead of 60p per hour.

Also with ISDN i'd mix my usage of various isps.
    Mainly i'd use oceanfree as a backup - it's fairly decent and supports 128k. I'd use buyandsell for playing Quake on UK servers and downloading large files on 128k. I'd use indigo/eircom for surfing, and downloading most things and playing games on Irish Quake3/Half Life servers.

So if you use ISDN to the maximum you can get good results out of it.

But it's expensive, extremely so .... but it ****es all over 56k, i'd never go back to 56k. It's especially good for the gamers out there... i'd really recommend it to gamers ahead of people who just surf and idle on irc and download the odd mp3 because the difference between ISDN and Broadband in games is HUGELY smaller then the difference between ISDN and 56k in games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

just remembered, when i had the wall box upgraded to their (eircoms) new model, - "isdn plug n play" it had an unattrative feature where neither of its phone numbers were bound to the physical phone ports on the side of the box. The idea behind this was that incoming calls, no matter to which number, would be sent through to the unbusy line. All well and good except that i wanted to set up a dedicated fax line on one of my new phone numbers.

It can easily be fixed to bind the numbers if you want, but i just thought i'd mention it as it really annoyed me at the time.

ps reading through the posts i realised how spoilt i am with isdn. yes its cráp but its <b>much</b> better than 56k, i should have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Joe you dense ba$tard, I was going to answer all your 'points' again, but this sums it up somewhat better, so with thanks to Azathoth at SA:

GOAWAY.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

jaysus joe you are getting a hammering...

i had isdn for 6 months and i just couldnt afford it anymore, my last bill was 250 pure internet usage and if you are a gamer i have to imagine you will fall into that category more so than a web surfer only category.

you will pay thru the nose and rue look forward to the day you tell eircon to pi$$ off, i did!

it is stble, it is fast enough, but can you afford to get it? if your only option is 56k and you don't imagine getting cable or dsl or anything else in the near future and you just have to be online for games...then unfortunately it's the only way to go.

joe, chill man, you are gonna get your self kicked, or do you love the attention or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Posted by DaHamsta:
    I'm not married. Your mother seems to prefer hard cash.</font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:
    no anymore you dont, she died last night in my lap, it was just TO big for her

and yea my mother prefers hard cash, what type of dual dealer do you take her for.

Gerry, your only sexy when your drunk.
    </font>

So Joe you fúcked your own mother til she died? You really are a f00l

white sorry, is that how yours died,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:
    white sorry, is that how yours died, </font>

Excuse me, where did you get that from?
    Your the one who said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

It becomes more and more apparent that you dont have a clue Joe22, you should be asking questions, not giving an opinion that adds up to sweet fu(K all.
    You have caused more hassle in the last month than I have seen on these boards in a long time. unplug your keyboard, read and learn. Just shut the fu(K up.

ISDN is well worth it, saves time money (unless you are on ESAT) better for games. Will be perfect when flat rate is released for it. Well untill we all can get cable/ADSL.

actually ive only been here 3 weeks
    so ha, and im going nowere so get used to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I started out this thread as a firm anti-isdn type of guy, but reading all this has kinda changed my mind.
    If and when SNL finally kicks the bucket, i might just have a look at it. The only thing that still worries me is the cost of converting back to an analogue line whenever dsl comes in. That likely to cost much? or the same as the isdn install?

Dustaz, are flaming aside i think theres a problem with going back from isdn,
    i know BT is having troble with their isdn users and adsl.
    you might need to get a new line in to go back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Joe22, kindly wake the hell up and get a clue.

stephen shut up fool
    god this board is full of ****ers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

well done lads.. another thread bites the dust.

Joe22.. you have two options, one you stop posting about things you know nothing about and inciting everyone else or two you'll get your a/c disabled.

And am I the only one that seems to be able to ignore these comments on the boards? maybe some people should learn to grow up a little instead of posting flames all the time when someone disagrees with them or just plainly doesnt have a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Go away then.

yea its great, ive been here 2 minutes and im allready like one of the family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

ISDN is the same price per call as analogue.
    Rental is £30 per month for which you get 2 64k ISDN channels, 2 analogue lines and 2 seperate phone numbers.
    THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IN PRICE BETWEEN ANALOGUE AND ISDN IS RENTAL. And at that it's only £15 p/m difference. ISDN is not expensive for the benefits gained.

Joe, you are an idiot.

Canaboid your a person

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement