Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn are the best band in Ireland. Discuss

Options
  • 15-04-2002 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

in position Amazing

Bereta Amazing

Teenstar What can i say

Catch on you Pure beauty

Heartattack GO OON

They have been number one on the phantom charts for 2 years .

Sexy Sasha

XX

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭insanebadgergirljess

You forgot to mention how,along with the frames, they are one of the best live bands around at the moment, as well as having a brilliant album and several brilliant mini albums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Apparently they are so great you felt the need to post it twice!
    Turn are fine, I prefer the Frames by a longshot among others.

... and i believe we had a very similar topic just recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

They've a couple of good songs but I can honestly say that they are the most overrated band since JJ72. I've seen them twice. First time was ok. Second was at the launch of their new EP and they sucked! Talk about pandering! The lead singer was saying stuff like "ok I want you all to be extra loud for this number because we're recording it for a video". How lame is that?

Take the recation you get if you're any kind of honest musician! I'm surprised he didn't start chanting "wave your hands in the air like you just don't care."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 C from Fairuza

Sasha,

I'd have to agree with you.. they are the best Dublin band by a longshot at the moment, and really nice guys to boot.

They write beautiful songs, but play them with an Edge.. and the live shows are something that other bands should be aiming to reproduce..

That's my pennies ( cent's) worth.
    C.

www.fairuzamusic.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

well i like turn...and at the mo...i'd rather go see em than any other band in dublin...

they're great live...the cds are great...they're still writing new material (another album due B4 the end of the year)...

i saw them 2 years ago and they were great...saw them 5 times since then, and every time they're better!!!

Kurdt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Originally posted by C from Fairuza
    Sasha,

I'd have to agree with you.. they are the best Dublin band by a longshot at the moment, and really nice guys to boot.

errr they are from Meath.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

i don't think turn are the best band in ireland, but definitely one of the best; they are very very tight, very good live, and write some great tunes. however, on the mini album there was two great songs, (in position and heart attack) and on antisocial there was four. i hope the next album is more consistent... but for best irish band live they're definetely up at the top of the list...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

They are very good but I'd have to say the frames are still streets ahead in every department, especially live.

true, they hail from Meath... but you know what we mean...

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Saw them in Galway. Nothing really wanted me go see them again, Frames and the Devlins are better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Agreed, saw them in Cuba(the club, not the country) aswell and have "Anti-social". Nothing exceptional, I'd be surprised if they went on to big things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 c4o

Well I haven't heard Turn I don't think...

But In my opinion the Best of the Best has got to go to TRM.
    They played an amazing set at the Storehouse on Saturday.

And the cool thing is they'll be playing at the Sabbath in Whelans on the 5th of May organised by Steve Fanagan.

Bands playing are:

The Jimmy Cake
    The Redneck Manifesto
    The Dudley Corporation
    Goodtime John
    NPB
    Paul O'Reilly
    Somadrone
    The Connectfour Orchestra (YAY us!!)
    Richard Egan
    Largemound
    Settler

Doors at 2pm and it's only 10 europ's and you can come an go as you please. Plus all the cash goes to the Rape Crisis Centre.

And for all the Cork ppl out there on the 11th of May in Leap there will be a gig with:

the redneck manifesto
    The connectfour orchestra
    Daemien Frost
    The Warlords Of Pez
    The Chalets
    Weevil.

Keep ur i's peeled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Originally posted by bugler
    Agreed, saw them in Cuba(the club, not the country) aswell and have "Anti-social". Nothing exceptional, I'd be surprised if they went on to big things.

If that was their gig during nui rag week then we where at the same one, I never saw such a depressing moss pit in my whole life. Lets not talk about the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I think they are very good. My only concern is they appear to be moving laterally then trying to push there music forward. Hopefully the new album will prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

oh dear, this is one of these threads where it starts friendly enough and then they just get nasty with much sad little bickering, my 2 cents is that turn are by all accounts an extremely average bad, i've seen em live and there's better out there, especially in dublin at the moment.
    The previously mentioned Rednecks,
    c4o who didn't blow their own trumpet but should
    the jimmy cake
    creative controle
    goodtime john
    the dudley corporation
    in fact most of the bands playing at the sabbath are very good
    estel too
    decal
    there's few more but i've forgotted

Another great dublin band are Sack... going for years, and they keep coming up with great tunes...

I would also agree that the Frames are very good, also writing great songs, and playing them with an edge, although I haven't seen them in ages...

Redneck Manifesto, another superb band... and watch out for Future Kings of Spain...

C.

Advertisement